Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF or Houston?
San Francisco, California 141 77.05%
Houston, Texas 42 22.95%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:04 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
I used to listen to sports radio 660 "the fan" all the way out near Oswego traveling from Rochester to the Adirondaks as a teenager
We're talking apples and oranges at this point. Which is the usual at this point to twist the argument.

SF/SJ gets the same FM stations which only has a range of 50 miles or so.

AM is known to travel hundreds of miles.

We're talking two different things. It would be nice to have a little intellectual honesty at this point. Montclair and others have laid down dozens of data points with irrefutable facts, yet - AM and FM is being confused by Houstoners. Figures.

Last edited by Rhymes with Best Coast; 09-23-2009 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 05:06 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Why do threads on Houston always attract all the snide comments and flames?
I think your friend Machiavelli stirred up the hornets first from reading this thread.

Quote:
Houston has a lot more hospitals than that ranked in the top 20. M. D. Anderson is #1 in the cancer hospital category.
It is an excellent institution. The TMC is very impressive; however even with economies of scale benefiting it, most major cities have impressive medical centers in the area to support the populace. It is great for your local economy, unless they do something silly with healthcare reform.

Quote:
The larger oil company in SF is really is no matter. I don't think anyone is going to argue where the country's energy capital is.
Agreed, it still makes up a considerable portion of Houston's GAP and a lot of its higher incomes. There is also many secondary and supporting industries (like manufacturing/petrochemical and normal service jobs for example) relying on the industry. However, it still is a weak link if something were to happen to energy, a la cap and trade. It would send shocks through at least 1/3rd of the Houston economy, which is huge by any city standard related to GAP.

Quote:
Not true. It's 2009. Not 1979.
See above but at least you aren't 70% anymore.

Quote:
Good question. You know what they say about people who have to be rude...
SF should speak for itself. Why the need to put down Houston (most of what you're saying is not true anyway, as I've demonstrated.)
Again one of your friends seemingly started the fight, IMO. I have found Houstonians very friendly...until you disagree with them. I still find folks in TN and West NC a tad more friendlier though (I think they are more humble on the pride vs what you see in TX and SC that can bug people).

Quote:
So is Houston. Prove otherwise.
Houston is doing considerably better then most cities. However she has a lot of weak links and issues that over the next decade that could easily set her off course. You may hate me for this comment but Houston original economic purpose is very similar to how Detroit functions as an Auto Capital; as long as you are a capital of "something", you will have a weak link if the "capital falls."

Old 09-23-2009, 05:08 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,169 times
With all them college degrees you'd think the wise folks in old San Fran would've been able to figure out their house prices were going to drop by 40% in 2 years and thought, "hey maybe I shouldn't buy this 150 year old shack for $1M."

It's time to face the fact that San Fran is becoming a suburb of the larger San Jose, the suburb where the pierced homeless children and trustafarians run around in a dope-induced haze.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:25 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
I think your friend Machiavelli stirred up the hornets first from reading this thread....

Again one of your friends seemingly started the fight, IMO.
I didn't realize this person was from Houston?
Nor is this person one of "my friends."

Anyway, I don't agree. The thread started going downhill at post #8 IMO -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Houston, for culture? Really? If you like middle American culture and BBQ, I suppose so.
... unless someone actually believes this. In which case

The posts previous to that seemed fine.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
I didn't realize this person was from Houston?
Nor is this person one of "my friends."

Anyway, I don't agree. The thread started going downhill at post #8 IMO -->

... unless someone actually believes this. In which case

The posts previous to that seemed fine.
It's always the houstonians fault that threads go down; even though most of the time people can never just intelligently answer the question without the BS.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:01 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
I swear, Houston should win an award for the absolute worst PR in the country.
IMHO the city has been more focused on attracting a more diversified economy instead of worrying about what people in California or New York think about the city.

This isn't 1986 anymore. If Houston was truly a "one-trick pony" the economy here would've fallen through the floor and all the people who came here from the West Coast because California started going down the tubes starting around the time of the dot-com bust (remember how hard the Bay Area took that one?) would be leaving here in droves. They're not. The oil crash last year took a lot of momentum out of the economy here but nobody's mistaking us for Detroit.

NYC is taking the financial crisis on the chin harder than anything Houston's faced throughout this recession, and their economy is about as diversified as you could ask for in a city.

It's come at a tradeoff though. People still have this 1970s flash-in-the-pan oil boom town vision it hasn't shaken off since John Travolta hopped on a mechanical bull at Gilley's. Old images die slowly, and some big expensive PR blitz only screams "trying too hard." There are some things that need a lot of work here, transportation infrastructure other than freeways being at or very close to the forefront. I care more about fixing that than about whether people on this forum like it or not.

I'll take making Houston better over saying Houston's better any day.

To maybe even the score in the underlying poltical debate here, Houston has a distinct possibility of electing an openly lesbian mayor next year, Annise Parker. She has has been the City Controller since 2003 and has run unopposed for three terms. Sounds more like something you'd expect in San Francisco, right?

Old 09-23-2009, 06:07 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
IMHO the city has been more focused on attracting a more diversified economy instead of worrying about what people in California or New York think about the city.

This isn't 1986 anymore. If Houston was truly a "one-trick pony" the economy here would've fallen through the floor and all the people who came here from the West Coast because California started going down the tubes starting around the time of the dot-com bust (remember how hard the Bay Area took that one?) would be leaving here in droves. They're not. The oil crash last year took a lot of momentum out of the economy here but nobody's mistaking us for Detroit.

NYC is taking the financial crisis on the chin harder than anything Houston's faced throughout this recession, and their economy is about as diversified as you could ask for in a city.

It's come at a tradeoff though. People still have this 1970s flash-in-the-pan oil boom town vision it hasn't shaken off since John Travolta hopped on a mechanical bull at Gilley's. Old images die slowly, and some big expensive PR blitz only screams "trying too hard." There are some things that need a lot of work here, transportation infrastructure other than freeways being at or very close to the forefront. I care more about fixing that than about whether people on this forum like it or not.

I'll take making Houston better over saying Houston's better any day.

To maybe even the score in the underlying poltical debate here, Houston has a distinct possibility of electing an openly lesbian mayor next year, Annise Parker. She has has been the City Controller since 2003 and has run unopposed for three terms. Sounds more like something you'd expect in San Francisco, right?

Don't bother. There are too many closeminded people on here to listen to the facts. They rely on old and untrue stereotypes to form opinions

Old 09-23-2009, 06:11 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Don't bother.
Sometimes I like the idea of being in on a secret. Besides, I like not having to avoid certain parts of town because they're overrun by tourists. That's awesome.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:19 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Wait, first you post this...

Quote:
Better economy, better medical facilities, better politics, better people (people that don't walk around thinking they are better than others), prettier people etc.

SF is nothing more than a city with an inferiority complex to LA and NY. San Jose is the real reason why SF is even relevent anymore
Then post this:

Quote:
Don't bother. There are too many closeminded people on here to listen to the facts. They rely on old and untrue stereotypes to form opinions
The irony...

Old 09-23-2009, 06:28 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Wait, first you post this...

Then post this:

The irony...

Wait a sec, aren't you from Boston?

Point proven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City