Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 10:19 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Thats a little extreme. Big Tuck and Tum Tum arent the best rappers out there, but they arent bad. For Dallas theyre pretty good.

Houston does have better rappers, but most of the rappers I know from Houston also suck. Mike Jones comes to mind. Dont tell me it required any talent whatsoever to slow down a record (Chopped and Screwed) and have the same song only slower and call it a remix.
Well angel already responded with the chopped and screwed thing. But as far as Dallas. Yes, they are pretty bad. They talk about nothing and do a very bad job of doing it. They have nothing to talk about but brag. You have to understand, I listen to rappers like Justus League, Cunninlynguists, Elzhi, HISD, Murs. Dallas has headkrack and a couple more. But Dallas hip hop talent leaves much to be desired. As far as Houston, well you won't find many in Houston that will disagree about Mike Jones. He does suck. But Houston has Kay, K-Otix, K-Rino, Scarface, and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:30 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
^^Hell, HISD is from Houston. They are like Houston's version of Little Brother I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
We had one of those planned in Houston but obviously nothing came of it.
Ski Mountain Houston? That's still in the planning stages I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I guess it would kind of make sense because Disney chose Orlando because it was flat, underdeveloped, and land was inexpensive which sounds a lot like parts of Houston. But I don't think Earth Quest is owned by Disney. I think it's being built by an energy company in Houston and the theme is developed around promoting "green" energy and the "green" movement or something like that. I could be completely wrong about that though. Either way, I would rather see Houston invest in it's developing cultural scenes (especially downtown) to attract tourist than bring a Disney World.

I don't know why I'm so anti Houston theme park but I guess the last few years of Astroworld just left a bad taste in my mouth.
Yeah, definitely has nothing to do with an energy company out of Houston. lol. Houston was chosen out of many sites around the US for a new "dinosaur theme park". When they chose Houston, the idea has grown steadily until what we have today.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:31 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
What? Hip-hop is definitely not boring what now. Maybe your radio rap stuff, but not hip-hop. A lot of stuff to look forward to by the end of the year.

Even mainstream wise, you've had Jay-Z's new album come out, Kid Cudi's new album come out, etc. Cudi's new album is better than Jay's lyrically.
Jay-Z isn't as entertaining as he used to be. His new album just sounds like alot of self-glorification and mainstream beats. Kid Cudi is cool.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
True. DJ Screw was the best at doing screwed music. Houston isn't like the rest of the south when it comes to dancing and snapping music. Dallas is really the only city in Texas putting out that BS. I know people like lil Flip, Paul Wall, Mikes Jones, and more. Aren't the best, but they could compete with anyone coming out of the Dallas and Atlanta. Before these dudes were mainstream; their mixtapes were actually good.
Heck yeah, Mike Jones and Paul Wall were NEVER as garbage when they were underground as they are NOW. Mike Jones was supposed to be the 2nd coming of not just Houston hip-hop, but TEXAS hip-hop in general, then he got his deal, and he flopped. Still Tippin was one of the BEST joints to come out of Houston in a while, INSTANT Southern classic, that song put H-TOWN back on the scene. BUT then Mike Jones became GARBAGE. The rise and fall of Texas.. (BUT Lil Flip had some GREAT mainstream songs though).

Old 10-15-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I think thats about right. However, I would say that our neighbor to the west (Fort Worth) has a good combination of style and substance.

Your right about Dallas (glitzy and plastic, but beautiful and clean) and Houston (grity and grimy, but with character) I think. If I had to use a metaphor it would be this:

Dallas was the popular cheerleader in high school that could have any guy she wanted. However, she was ditzy, shallow, and cared only about appearance. She ended up being a useless trophy wife.

Houston was the chubby girl that was kind of cute if you got to know her. She had a good personality but never got attention from guys. She was non assuming and would be friends with anyone. She ended up being a lesbian.

Fort Worth was the friendly girl with lots of character, but was plain looking. She had lots of guy friends, but only a handful of boyfriends. She ended up marrying her best friend and is now the happiest.

Austin was the girl who thought she was popular. She would immitate Dallas and deny it the whole time. She was fake but tried to convence everyone she was real. She (like Dallas) was very pretty on the outside, but was a walking contradiction. She ended up staying single because she though no one was good enough for her.

San Antonio: see Fort Worth.
Why does everyone in TX hate us?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Heck yeah, Mike Jones and Paul Wall were NEVER as garbage when they were underground as they are NOW. Mike Jones was supposed to be the 2nd coming of not just Houston hip-hop, but TEXAS hip-hop in general, then he got his deal, and he flopped. Still Tippin was one of the BEST joints to come out of Houston in a while, INSTANT Southern classic, that song put H-TOWN back on the scene. BUT then Mike Jones became GARBAGE. The rise and fall of Texas.. (BUT Lil Flip had some GREAT mainstream songs though).
Actually, he and Paul Wall has always been garbage. Mike Jones was always outshined by Magno and Paul Wall was always outshined by Chamillionaire. Neither are good lyricists to begin with and they both are very repetitive. That Still Tippin song was an embarrassment IMO. It showed that we was a gimmick.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:05 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
And the song was like 20 years old when it came out to the mainstream.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:00 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Why does everyone in TX hate us?
I certainly dont hate Austin. But Ive seen alot of changes in Austin since I used to go there about 10 years ago.

Now Austin is trying hard to be something. Austin didnt used to try to be anything, it just was what it was (a laid back, open, and accepting town). Now Austin is taking its image and trying to run with it. The problem is that in the process, its developed quite an attitude towards people it doesnt think belong with it. Ive been down there 3 times in the last 3 months and Im amazed at the attitude and how its changed. In the process of all of this, it really is becoming more like Dallas.

Relating it back to the analogy, Austin used to be the girl who was different. Now Austin is the girl who thinks shes different.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually, he and Paul Wall has always been garbage. Mike Jones was always outshined by Magno and Paul Wall was always outshined by Chamillionaire. Neither are good lyricists to begin with and they both are very repetitive. That Still Tippin song was an embarrassment IMO. It showed that we was a gimmick.
Paul Wall is not as bad lyrically as people say. People over exaggerate how bad he is. But I agree Chamillionaire and Magno were always better then Mike Jones and Paul Wall. The BEST lyricist to come out of Houston are hands down Chamillonaire, Z-Ro, and Trae. Z-Ro is so nice on the mic. Why can't artist like Z-Ro and Trae take the lead in the Houston rap scene?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I certainly dont hate Austin. But Ive seen alot of changes in Austin since I used to go there about 10 years ago.

Now Austin is trying hard to be something. Austin didnt used to try to be anything, it just was what it was (a laid back, open, and accepting town). Now Austin is taking its image and trying to run with it. The problem is that in the process, its developed quite an attitude towards people it doesnt think belong with it. Ive been down there 3 times in the last 3 months and Im amazed at the attitude and how its changed. In the process of all of this, it really is becoming more like Dallas.

Relating it back to the analogy, Austin used to be the girl who was different. Now Austin is the girl who thinks shes different.
Indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City