Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

Poorest Counties
Nice map, I don't see the Bronx but then again its probably too tiny to see on the map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 PM

16 posts, read 16,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Its hard being on Welfare and Food Stamps so I wouldn't call it a good deal, some people don't have the money to just get up and move. In many instances the poor Blacks are "pushed" to the suburbs as housing projects are being demolished bringing the same issues with them. In the NYC area when Blacks move to the suburbs crime doesn't go up, they are hard working people looking for a better life.

What city is this that has "too many" Blacks?
Rochester NY. They ruined the city schools and put Midtown Plaza and Irondequoit Mall out of business. In Rochester most of them are hard core.
We have a higher murder rate than NYC. Well not all of them but most of them. There are some good ones.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON350 View Post
Rochester NY. They ruined the city schools and put Midtown Plaza and Irondequoit Mall out of business. In Rochester most of them are hard core.
We have a higher murder rate than NYC. Well not all of them but most of them. There are some good ones.
That's very racist.

My neighborhood's murder rate is almost twice as high as Rochester's yet there's still minority owned business, minorities owning their own homes, etc.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:02 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,478 times
Quote:

Yes, very true. Also, when the inner loop was built. Midtowns loss was definitely Rochester's loss

The city of Rochester has went downhill ever since sammy G was murdered

Old 10-07-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
That's very racist.

My neighborhood's murder rate is almost twice as high as Rochester's yet there's still minority owned business, minorities owning their own homes, etc.
Its not racist when its the truth. 95% of the murders in Rochester is Black on Black. Today 2 Black guys carjacked and raped a White woman. There used to be a nice mall downtown but all the Black kids that hang out there and catch the bus to school smoking refers in the bus stop shut down Sibleys and McCurdys the main anchor stores because decent hard working Whites were afraid to go shopping. When they started going to Irondequoit mall the same thing happened, now both malls are closed.

The only malls doing well are the ones with no bus or so far out they dont want to take the bus to it.

Rochester is the murder capital of NY State. What is your neighbor?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:08 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,478 times
Quote:
Its hard being on Welfare and Food Stamps so I wouldn't call it a good deal, some people don't have the money to just get up and move. In many instances the poor Blacks are "pushed" to the suburbs as housing projects are being demolished bringing the same issues with them. In the NYC area when Blacks move to the suburbs crime doesn't go up, they are hard working people looking for a better life.

What city is this that has "too many" Blacks?

The inner city in Rochester NY has it pretty bad. It is not minorities fault that things are like that though. The difference with Rochester is that there are very few taxpayers to pick up the slack in the city like there are in NY. There is no incentive for the well off to live in the city there. The stigma is of high crime, gangs and drugs which is true. Still, there are many decent people that are prisoners in their homes in the city (of all races) that might want to rejuvenate their neighborhoods if the city would do more to help

Old 10-07-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Its not racist when its the truth. 95% of the murders in Rochester is Black on Black. Today 2 Black guys carjacked and raped a White woman. There used to be a nice mall downtown but all the Black kids that hang out there and catch the bus to school smoking refers in the bus stop shut down Sibleys and McCurdys the main anchor stores because decent hard working Whites were afraid to go shopping. When they started going to Irondequoit mall the same thing happened, now both malls are closed.

The only malls doing well are the ones with no bus or so far out they dont want to take the bus to it.

Rochester is the murder capital of NY State. What is your neighbor?
Well if Rochester is anything like Buffalo I guess its a fairly backwards city.

Rochester's murder rate is 22 per 100,000 and South Jamaica's (my neighborhood) is 43 per 100,000. I think Brownsville, Brooklyn would qualify as the murder capital of NY State though. NYC neighborhoods wouldn't be included since they're only neighborhoods in a city.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
The inner city in Rochester NY has it pretty bad. It is not minorities fault that things are like that though. The difference with Rochester is that there are very few taxpayers to pick up the slack in the city like there are in NY. There is no incentive for the well off to live in the city there. The stigma is of high crime, gangs and drugs which is true. Still, there are many decent people that are prisoners in their homes in the city (of all races) that might want to rejuvenate their neighborhoods if the city would do more to help

Your right, there are nice Blacks and Spaniards too. This lady I work with lives over near Clifford and she bring me collar greens and possum grits to work for lunch when she has leftovers from family gatherings.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Well if Rochester is anything like Buffalo I guess its a fairly backwards city.

Rochester's murder rate is 22 per 100,000 and South Jamaica's (my neighborhood) is 43 per 100,000. I think Brownsville, Brooklyn would qualify as the murder capital of NY State though. NYC neighborhoods wouldn't be included since they're only neighborhoods in a city.

I can get 100 guys from Alphonse and Hudson and they will terrorize any NYC neighborhood. Your NYC gangbangers will be sharting in their pants on North St at 2AM.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
List of poorest U.S. cities:

 1. Detroit, 33.3% in poverty
 2. Cleveland, 30.5% in poverty
 3. Buffalo, 30.3% in poverty
 4. Newark, 26.1% in poverty
 5. Miami, 25.6% in poverty
 6. Fresno, 25.5% in poverty
 7. Cincinnati, 25.1% in poverty
 8. Toledo, 24.7% in poverty
 9. El Paso, 24.3% in poverty
 10. Philadelphia, 24.1% in poverty
 11. Milwaukee, 23.4% in poverty
 12. Memphis, 23.1% in poverty
 13. St. Louis, 22.9% in poverty
 14. Dallas, 22.6% in poverty
 14. New Orleans, 22.6% in poverty
 16. Atlanta, 22.4% in poverty
 17. Stockton, Calif., 21.6% in poverty
 18. Minneapolis, 21.3% in poverty
 19. Pittsburgh, 21.2% in poverty
 20. Tucson, 20.9% in poverty
 21. Chicago, 20.6% in poverty
 22. Columbus, Ohio, 20.1% in poverty
 23. Long Beach, Calif., 19.8% in poverty
 24. Houston, 19.5% in poverty
 25. Los Angeles, 19.4% in poverty

You can find the list here: Los Angeles, other cities see high poverty marks - Los Angeles Business from bizjournals:

American Community Survey (ACS)
Miami
Philadelphia
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
Cities that surprised me for how high they were on the list:

Miami
Cincinnati
Dallas
Minneapolis
Columbus... wow thought Dayton would be the forth Ohio city.

Baltimore should have made this list for sure... typo?
I was actually expecting Baltimore was on it, but then there's the fact that there a large number of very wealthy neighbourhood, Maryland is the richest state in the country, and like Pitt. the city has gentrified and shifted it's focus from heavy industry to technology (Johns Hopkins, biotechs) and finance (Legg Mason, T. Rowe Price, M&T Bank).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City