Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:03 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Miami, obviously. I mean what other city even comes close?

Atlanta and New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
It ism, but pretty much exactly what JohnATL said above ^^^^

There are allot more techno/80's electropop/House/ clubs than anything else in Atlanta. And there are probably more gay clubs in Atlanta than hip hop clubs actually.
I would have said that about 10 years ago when house was thriving, but clubs that play house music now are few and far between in the main "nightlife districts", which I consider to be Midtown, East Atlanta, and Highlands. East Atlanta and Highlands are all live music and bars...few clubs. So that leaves Midtown, which has one main area and many places scattered around. In the main walkable midtown area, all of the former house clubs now feature hip hop. Gone is the Crescent Room (which was the s#!t back in the day) which was replaced by the hip hop Sutra Lounge. Trance-based 1150 was replaced by Opera which was playing hip hop last time I was there on a weekend. Even Lava which had a house club downstairs was dropping hip hop last time I went...same with Leopard Lounge. There are even 2 more that I am forgetting the names of. The eclectic music scene midtown is all off the beaten path now I guess in places like MJQ. Hip hop is the mainstream now, so that is what gets played in 90% of the clubs. I would bet even Miami is mostly hip hop now in the more popular clubs.

I would agree that the demise of Buckhead was a major blow to Atlanta's nightlife. Even though I preferred midtown, at one point Buckhead was the heart and soul of Atlanta's nightlife and was really the place everyone thought of when you mentioned Atlanta. Atlantic Station or any other master planned mixed-use shopping malls like Streets of Buckhead will never be able to replace that flavor.

Last edited by Pete C; 11-10-2009 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
We have three pages on "Southeast's Best Nightlife" and there has been no mention of Memphis nor Virginia Beach! Ok, it is SERIOUSLY time to add some objectivity to this otherwise VERY subjective thread.

Best US cities for nightlife ranked by Forbes

1 NYC
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
4 Miami (#1 in the south)
5 Philadelphia
6 Dallas (#2 in the south)
7 Atlanta (#3 in the south)
8 Houston (#4 in the south)
9 Boston
10 Washington DC (#5 if DC is considered southern)
11 Detroit
12 San Francisco
13 Seattle
14 Phoenix
15 San Diego
16 St. Louis
17 Denver-Aurora
18 Tampa-St. Petersburg (#5 in the south)
19 Minneapolis
20 Cleveland
Best Cities For Singles sorted by Nightlife - Forbes.com

21 Baltimore (#7 if B'more is considered southern)
22 Pittsburgh
23 Portland
24 Las Vegas
25 San Antonio (#6 in the south)
26 Milwaukee
27 Orlando (#7 in the south)
28 Columbus
29 Indianapolis
30 Virginia Beach-Norfolk (#8 in the south)
31 Kansas City
32 Sacramento
33 Providence
34 Cincinnati
35 Austin (#9 in the south)
36 Buffalo
37 Memphis (#10 in the south)
38 Jacksonville (#11 in the south)
39 Salt Lake City
40 Charlotte (#12 in the south)

Some people might disagree with this list, but for the most part I'd say it is accurate. Obviously, Las Vegas should be higher on this list. I personally think Memphis, Austin, and Charlotte should be a little higher. Other than that, I can agree with most of this list.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:59 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
We have three pages on "Southeast's Best Nightlife" and there has been no mention of Memphis nor Virginia Beach! Ok, it is SERIOUSLY time to add some objectivity to this otherwise VERY subjective thread.

1 NYC
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
5 Philadelphia
9 Boston
11 Detroit
12 San Francisco
13 Seattle
14 Phoenix
15 San Diego
16 St. Louis
17 Denver-Aurora
19 Minneapolis
20 Cleveland

22 Pittsburgh
23 Portland
24 Las Vegas
26 Milwaukee
28 Columbus
29 Indianapolis
31 Kansas City
32 Sacramento
33 Providence
34 Cincinnati
36 Buffalo
39 Salt Lake City

Some people might disagree with this list, but for the most part I'd say it is accurate. Obviously, Las Vegas should be higher on this list. I personally think Memphis, Austin, and Charlotte should be a little higher. Other than that, I can agree with most of this list.
Las Vegas and San Fran should be much higher.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Las Vegas and San Fran should be much higher.
I agree with Las Vegas. However, San Fran really can't go much higher. One spot higher over Detroit maybe? However, I WOULD NOT place San Fran's nightlife over DC! NO WAAAAAAAY!!!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

1 NYC
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
5 Philadelphia
9 Boston
11 Detroit
12 San Francisco
13 Seattle
14 Phoenix
15 San Diego
16 St. Louis
17 Denver-Aurora
19 Minneapolis
20 Cleveland

22 Pittsburgh
23 Portland
24 Las Vegas
26 Milwaukee
28 Columbus
29 Indianapolis
31 Kansas City
32 Sacramento
33 Providence
34 Cincinnati
36 Buffalo
39 Salt Lake City

I actually agree with Forbes on this,sometimes they can be right.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:30 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I actually agree with Forbes on this,sometimes they can be right.
Yes, it's a decent list - but there is one huge, glaring omission!

Where's New Orleans?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:37 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I don't know if I'd trust Forbes when it comes to nightlife. Doesn't seem like a very nightlife-y kind of magazine, you know?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes, it's a decent list - but there is one huge, glaring omission!

Where's New Orleans?
I thought the same thing. My guess is N.O. did not make the cut due to the post-Katrina perception of the city.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:48 AM

815 posts, read 2,137,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I would have said that about 10 years ago when house was thriving, but clubs that play house music now are few and far between in the main "nightlife districts", which I consider to be Midtown, East Atlanta, and Highlands. East Atlanta and Highlands are all live music and bars...few clubs. So that leaves Midtown, which has one main area and many places scattered around. In the main walkable midtown area, all of the former house clubs now feature hip hop. Gone is the Crescent Room (which was the s#!t back in the day) which was replaced by the hip hop Sutra Lounge. Trance-based 1150 was replaced by Opera which was playing hip hop last time I was there on a weekend. Even Lava which had a house club downstairs was dropping hip hop last time I went...same with Leopard Lounge. There are even 2 more that I am forgetting the names of. The eclectic music scene midtown is all off the beaten path now I guess in places like MJQ. Hip hop is the mainstream now, so that is what gets played in 90% of the clubs. I would bet even Miami is mostly hip hop now in the more popular clubs.

I would agree that the demise of Buckhead was a major blow to Atlanta's nightlife. Even though I preferred midtown, at one point Buckhead was the heart and soul of Atlanta's nightlife and was really the place everyone thought of when you mentioned Atlanta. Atlantic Station or any other master planned mixed-use shopping malls like Streets of Buckhead will never be able to replace that flavor.

I dont know what your talking about dude. And Im not basing that off of 10 years ago, as 10 years ago I was in high school and was not old enough to go to the club. Sutra is not a hip hop club, they play Top 40 music, any popular song be it rap, pop, or rock will be played in there. Leopard Lounge is Hip Hop only on Thursday night, and even then really just in the downstairs portion. Never went to 1150 when it was open, and I have never even heard of Lava. And Opera playing hip hop??? Not hardly, everytime I go to Opera I hear 80's music, and techno. The only rap I have heard in there is Kanye West, and thats really Top 40 pop music. There is no stricly hip hop club in Midtown or Buckhead anymore, there are some inside Kenny's Alley downtown, and the rest are spread here and therearound town. The only strickly hip hop clubs are Frequency, House, and whatever else is in Kenny's Alley in Underground, Esso's in East Atlanta, Central Station in East Point, Crucial on Bankhead in NW Atlanta, Figure 8 on Campbellton in SW Atlanta (my street ), Velvet Room on Chamblee-Tucker Rd, and Insomnia on Old National in College Park. Just because you look around a club and see a bunch of black people and just because the DJ plays a 30 minute set of rap mixed in with everything else does not make it a hip hop club. None of the clubs you mentioned are hip hop clubs dude, this is Atlanta, trust you will know when your in a hip hop club. A hip hop club is somthing like Central Station in East Point, where the minute you walk in you catch a contact high, the parking lot is literally a car show, and you might see a fight or two before the night is over along with hearing damn near every set/hood/zone/street or whatever in Atlanta yelled out and claimed. Leopard Lounge, Opera, MJQ, Door 44, and Sutra are not hip hop clubs, no where near it actually. Take it a step further, I have freinds that only go to hip hop clubs like Central Station and they have never even been to or heard of clubs like Opera or MJQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City