Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Many coastal resort cities are also geographically constrained...kinda go hand in hand.
That's not true plenty of times but either way I don't get why it matters what the reason HNL has a lot of high rises. It's not the only geographically constrained city mentioned on this thread.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
Looking at Chicago's skyline you would think it would have almost as many people as NYC.

I think Wilmington, De skyline is pretty nice considering it only has about 75,000 people. Not really any huge buildings but a number of midsized buildings for it's size. I'd imagine it suprises some people not from the area driving on I-95 wondering "what city is this" when driving in between Baltimore and Philly.

As far as Chicago, no I wouldn't. NY has five times as many highrises so why would I think that a city with only 1/5 th as many as another city would be its egual. It doesn't make sense. So no, I disagree. Chicago looks like Chicago and NYC looks like NYC. If I were to go with your argument, I could easily say any other city with five hundred thousand or more looks like Chicago. The argument would carry even more weight. San Fran has 411 highrises. I could easily say what you're saying regarding Chicago towards San Fran. They are much closer in similarities than NYC and Chicago weather you want to believe me or not. Chicago is getting close to having three times as many highrises as San Fran. San Fran has I believe about 410 Chicago has around 1100. They resemble each other much more than NYC with almost six thousand..

As far as Wilmington, I agree. It definately looks like a city with much more than 75,000 people. I was very impressed with their skyline the first time I saw it.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:47 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's not true plenty of times but either way I don't get why it matters what the reason HNL has a lot of high rises. It's not the only geographically constrained city mentioned on this thread.
I said many are, not most. And I didn't trudge through the entire thread. I'm not picking on Honolulu which is what it seems like you think.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:52 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I said many are, not most. And I didn't trudge through the entire thread. I'm not picking on Honolulu which is what it seems like you think.
Fair enough, I've just seen it before where someone tries to downplay Honolulu's # of high rises as if it's some resort city like Daytona Beach or Destin, FL.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Fair enough, I've just seen it before where someone tries to downplay Honolulu's # of high rises as if it's some resort city like Daytona Beach or Destin, FL.
Oh nah, people definitely live there. Its metro is closing in on a million people.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:04 PM

173 posts, read 225,328 times
I'm new to the forum--surprised no one has mentioned Jersey City. If my information is correct, it has the country's tallest building (30 Hudson Street) in a city which is not the largest city in the metro area.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 PM

266 posts, read 410,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
As far as Chicago, no I wouldn't. NY has five times as many highrises so why would I think that a city with only 1/5 th as many as another city would be its egual. It doesn't make sense. So no, I disagree. Chicago looks like Chicago and NYC looks like NYC. If I were to go with your argument, I could easily say any other city with five hundred thousand or more looks like Chicago. The argument would carry even more weight. San Fran has 411 highrises. I could easily say what you're saying regarding Chicago towards San Fran. They are much closer in similarities than NYC and Chicago weather you want to believe me or not. Chicago is getting close to having three times as many highrises as San Fran. San Fran has I believe about 410 Chicago has around 1100. They resemble each other much more than NYC with almost six thousand..

As far as Wilmington, I agree. It definately looks like a city with much more than 75,000 people. I was very impressed with their skyline the first time I saw it.
A high rise is considered a building that is over 12 stories tall. So in a SKYLINE you usually don't see the shorter buildings unless they are in front. I said "by looking at it", that means a visual picture not a number. Obviously NYC has more buildings overall but from afar NYC's skyline is not that much more impressive then Chicagos because you can't see all those smaller buildings anyway. If you wanted to crunch numbers and compare the two I could say well NYC has 235 buildings over 150 meters (35 - 40 floors) while Chicago has 113 (which are the buildings your gonna see in a skyline anways), making NYC only twice as big. Or NYC has 16 buildings over 250 M while Chicago has 12 making NYC only a little bigger. See it depends where you place the bar. Chicago is the only other skyline in America that begin to rival NYC.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:57 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
A high rise is considered a building that is over 12 stories tall. So in a SKYLINE you usually don't see the shorter buildings unless they are in front. I said "by looking at it", that means a visual picture not a number. Obviously NYC has more buildings overall but from afar NYC's skyline is not that much more impressive then Chicagos because you can't see all those smaller buildings anyway. If you wanted to crunch numbers and compare the two I could say well NYC has 235 buildings over 150 meters (35 - 40 floors) while Chicago has 113 (which are the buildings your gonna see in a skyline anways), making NYC only twice as big. Or NYC has 16 buildings over 250 M while Chicago has 12 making NYC only a little bigger. See it depends where you place the bar. Chicago is the only other skyline in America that begin to rival NYC.

Umm, thanks for telling me things I already know Captian obvious. You cannot disclude highrises to make your argument. Highrises matter. So what their not supertalls, they still have relevance. Most skylines consist of mainly highrises only. Not too many cities with skyscrapers. So your argument is moot. NYC isn't just a "little" bigger. I have been to both numerous times. NYC is MUCH bigger with all of those highrises that you want to discount. It was a cute try though.

To add to your non existent point. Walk around Midtown Manhattan and inbetween all of those "Skyscrapers" are highrises which make a difference. Chicago is too "empty" compared to NYC. Even Toronto has twice as many "highrises" as Chicago and that is why many people feel that downtown Toronto seems more like NYC than Chicago. And for your information Chicago doesn't rival NYC. No city half the size of another "rivals" it. I don't think that you understand what a true rivalry is. Hong Kong rivals NYC. Chicago needs a building explosion just to "rival" Toronto. Chicago is too gappy. It looks nice from afar, but their is very little infill. That is why NYC seems so much more massive-also because it is. Chicago has 1100 highrises give or take a few. NYC has almost six thousand give or take a few. You can't selectively just take 10% of their building stock and compare it to 2-3 percent of NYC's building stocks.

And last but not least. For your information, most cities in this country have but a few skyscrapers. The rest of their downtown are highrises. Some don't have any. Downtowns consist of much more than skyscrapers. If you want just skyscrapers hop over to that ugly dessert city that is intolerably hot called Dubai. So to end the discussion, "by looking at it" I don't think that Chicago looks like NYC or rivals it.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,865,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookdale46 View Post
I'm new to the forum--surprised no one has mentioned Jersey City. If my information is correct, it has the country's tallest building (30 Hudson Street) in a city which is not the largest city in the metro area.

I'm supposing you mean state's? But yes, I agree.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:17 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
I'm supposing you mean state's? But yes, I agree.
read the rest of the statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City