Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Cleveland, as far as anyone outside the US is concerned is Ohio. Forget the recent census data. If you were to ask anyone what the most important city in Ohio was 99% would say Cleveland...
Perhaps... Cleveland's aura as a former Midwestern industrial/financial powerhouse and its reputation as a present-day Midwestern cultural center are formidable, but not nearly so dominant, now that Cincinnati has ascended with its own formidable array of marketing and cultural list of assets.
Quote:
To most Cincinnati is a radio station, Columbus is an explorer, and Cleveland is Ohio.
Not quite... Today, Ohio's "3-C's" have all emerged as three distinct cities which each claim to be Ohio's best. Obviously, Cleveland is NE Ohio's flagship city, but, in SW Ohio, Cincinnati's a fiefdom all its own, while Columbus dominates the flatlands of the state's center. Check back in 10-20 years and this relationship may have radically changed, but not now.

Last edited by motorman; 12-15-2012 at 06:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 06:09 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Museums-Cincinnati
I would like to see your reasoning behind this one...

Old 12-15-2012, 07:49 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I would like to see your reasoning behind this one...
21c museum(it was rated number one in i think more unique high quality museum, only two in the world),
Cincinnati museum(It is a nationally recognized educational and research resource and one of the top cultural attractions in the Midwest. Cincinnati Museum Center serves more than 1.47 million visitors annually, reaching out to almost 200,000 young people through hands-on exhibits and programs).
Cincinnati art museum( one of the best oldest in the country has some of the most unique art in the country)
Contemporary arts Museum
Creation Museum(The state-of-the-art 70,000 square foot museum brings the pages of the Bible to life, only one in the country)
Children's museum(been rated top ten in the country since the late 1980s).
Art Beyond Boundaries
Art Works

Their is more then 50 museums in cincinnati not including the galleries located in cincinnati. Not to mention our zoo is ranked 6th best in the country.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:24 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,170 times
Quote:
21c museum(it was rated number one in i think more unique high quality museum, only two in the world),
Cincinnati museum(It is a nationally recognized educational and research resource and one of the top cultural attractions in the Midwest. Cincinnati Museum Center serves more than 1.47 million visitors annually, reaching out to almost 200,000 young people through hands-on exhibits and programs).
Cincinnati art museum( one of the best oldest in the country has some of the most unique art in the country)
Contemporary arts Museum
Creation Museum(The state-of-the-art 70,000 square foot museum brings the pages of the Bible to life, only one in the country)
Art Beyond Boundaries
Art Works

Their is more then 50 museums in cincinnati not including the galleries located in cincinnati. Not to mention our zoo is ranked 6th best in the country.
Wait, you're actually naming Creation Museum as a cultural amenity?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Contemporary arts Museum
Art Beyond Boundaries
Art Works

The Creation Museum? . . . I'm sure its a very well put together museum, but that does not exactly make Cincinnati look like it keeps up with the 21st century. I generally would not promote that as far as what Cincinnati has to offer.

And this is coming from a guy who goes to church (Catholic) most weeks, and volunteers, etc. Its just that taking the Bible literally, goes against scientific observation. It reflects an archaic/medieval outlooks that is comparable to literally believing in going to Paradise and literally getting 72 virgins. God gave us a brain to reason with. And even though I value scriptures, the prophets were writing for their time. And symbolic mythology was the only thing people in 1000 BC could really understand.

But I don't want the thread to go in that direction. So, I'll just shut up.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
The Creation Museum? . . . I'm sure its a very well put together museum, but that does not exactly make Cincinnati look like it keeps up with the 21st century. I generally would not promote that as far as what Cincinnati has to offer.

And this is coming from a guy who goes to church (Catholic) most weeks, and volunteers, etc. Its just that taking the Bible literally, goes against scientific observation. It reflects an archaic/medieval outlooks that is comparable to literally believing in going to Paradise and literally getting 72 virgins. God gave us a brain to reason with. And even though I value scriptures, the prophets were writing for their time. And symbolic mythology was the only thing people in 1000 BC could really understand.

But I don't want the thread to go in that direction. So, I'll just shut up.
I was just listing some nationally known museums in cincy.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Fair enough.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:47 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Wait, you're actually naming Creation Museum as a cultural amenity?
They'll name it when promoting their metro, yet cite it as evidence that they are better than KY.
By the way, the 21C Museum Hotel is a chain based out of Louisville. It got rated the number one hotel in the world by Conde Naste Traveler last year. Cincinnati should feel privileged to get one, and it really will take the city's hip factor up a notch for sure.

As to the vote here. Cincy handily beats Cleveland. It is a bigger city, it is growing faster (and not LOSING population like metro Cleveland), it has more and better jobs, and its renaissance is at least 20 years ahead of Cleveland. It also has better food, is less spread out, and much better weather. The only thing that Cleveland wins on is more ethnic enclaves/hoods (which are fading), and a better transit system (although no one uses it). I do love Cleveland though, and hope it and Detroit can start growing again. These red brick historic cities cannot be replaced.

Last edited by Peter1948; 12-15-2012 at 06:41 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
They'll name it when promoting their metro, yet cite it as evidence that they are better than KY.
By the way, the 21C Museum Hotel is a chain based out of Louisville. It got rated the number one hotel in the world by Conde Naste Traveler last year. Cincinnati should feel privileged to get one, and it really will take the city's hip factor up a notch for sure.

As to the vote here. Cincy handily beats Cleveland. It is a bigger city, it is growing faster (and not LOSING population like metro Cleveland), it has more and better jobs, and its renaissance is at least 20 years ahead of Cleveland. It also has better food, is less spread out, and much better weather. The only thing that Cleveland wins on is more ethnic enclaves/hoods (which are fading), and a better transit system (although no one uses it). I do love Cleveland though, and hope it and Detroit can start growing again. These red brick historic cities cannot be replaced.
Cincinnati is soon to get better transportation then cleveland, with the sreetcar system planned through downtown and the light rail cleveland needs to speed up its lines to compete with cincinnati

Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Cincinnati is soon to get better transportation then cleveland, with the sreetcar system planned through downtown and the light rail cleveland needs to speed up its lines to compete with cincinnati
Cincy's streetcar is a joke compared to the RTA train system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City