Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 PM

64 posts, read 125,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Try living much further North! Then you'd understand the perspective!!
Cincinnati is not "southern". However, I got the impression the locals relate more with Louisville/Lexington/Charleston than they do Cleveland/Detroit/Fort Wayne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Well.....if you whistle Dixie, people will think you're Dixie.
Except that Cincy is very much north of Dixie. There's a lot more to defining a region than accent. And even within Cincy, it's hard to nail down an accent. It's very similar to here folks here in Indy -- a mixture of Great Lakes-like accents, southern Indiana/Ohio twang and whole lot in between. Certainly many people in Cincinnati have ancestral roots in Appalachia. But much of Cincy is still very German and Catholic, which can't be said for most of the south.

I spent 8 formative years in Arkansas -- firmly a southern state. They think of Cincinnati as Yankee Land. That's perspective.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Except that Cincy is very much north of Dixie. There's a lot more to defining a region than accent. And even within Cincy, it's hard to nail down an accent. It's very similar to here folks here in Indy -- a mixture of Great Lakes-like accents, southern Indiana/Ohio twang and whole lot in between. Certainly many people in Cincinnati have ancestral roots in Appalachia. But much of Cincy is still very German and Catholic, which can't be said for most of the south.

I spent 8 formative years in Arkansas -- firmly a southern state. They think of Cincinnati as Yankee Land. That's perspective.
There's just a lot that places like Cincy have in common with more Southern commonalities (like accent, politics, culture, etc.) that you just don't expect in a "Northern" city if you are from a more "extreme" Northern city. It threw me off, that's for sure! I'm sure that doesn't necessarily make it "Southern" but in relation to say, Chicago, it is. In relation to Memphis or Atlanta, I'm sure it's no different than Chicago to a Southerner!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:14 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
There's just a lot that places like Cincy have in common with more Southern commonalities (like accent, politics, culture, etc.) that you just don't expect in a "Northern" city if you are from a more "extreme" Northern city. It threw me off, that's for sure! I'm sure that doesn't necessarily make it "Southern" but in relation to say, Chicago, it is. In relation to Memphis or Atlanta, I'm sure it's no different than Chicago to a Southerner!
To me Cincy people seem to be related to to people in Indy,Cleveland and especially Dayton and Columbus and so many transplants from California and Florida.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:58 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
The Mappelthorpe controversy was around 25 years ago. People need to give that a rest.

The Creation Museum is in Kentucky.
The Cleveland Cuyahoga River ''fire'' was 44 years ago; people need to give that a rest too.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Cincinnati skyline
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xHvnLiZfO0...0/P1020616.JPG

Cleveland Skyline
http://images.metroscenes.com/images...nes.com_03.jpg

Cincinnati is much more denser and more high rises then Cleveland. Not to mention Cincinnati has a much more smaller downtown yet larger downtown population. More vibrancy, better skyline, better foods, better museums DOWNTOWN and better retail....example..Tiffany Company, sax Fifth Avenue, Mayses, T,J, max and these retail are actually in the hear of downtown not on the edge.
You show a wide shot of Cinci's skyline and compare it too a portion of Cleveland's? The reason being Cleveland's is much larger. This is how you ''prove'' a point?

Old 12-22-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Hahaha Cincinnati downtown population is not 5,000 are you kidding! Its 13,000 plus you should fill in that "twice" you put into saying that Cleveland downtown is twice the size of cincy and less people..GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT
Thousands of new residents now calling downtown Cincinnati home — UrbanCincy

Report: Downtown Cincinnati population up 12% - Business Courier

Downtown Cincinnati Population Increasing
Actually, Cali, Cincinnati's ''downtown'' population includes Over-the-Rhine. If Cleveland included, let's say, Ohio City as it is adjacent to the west of downtown Cleveland, then Cleveland's ''downtown'' population would be about 25,000; adding in the University Circle to east of downtown Cleveland (areas which are, in fact, merging) the population would 35,000+; adding Tremont to the south of downtown Cleveland and were getting to 50,000; Detroit-Shoreway and we're at 65,000+. See how fun and easy it is to manipulate facts.

Last edited by Kamms; 12-22-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 02:48 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
One thing about Cincinnati is that it's much more provincial than Cleveland. Like Minneapolis, people from there tend to think it's the greatest thing around... largely because it's the only thing around. So people like Cali bringing up ridiculous arguments like Cincinnati has better public transit than Cleveland really isn't that surprising.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
One thing about Cincinnati is that it's much more provincial than Cleveland. Like Minneapolis, people from there tend to think it's the greatest thing around... largely because it's the only thing around. So people like Cali bringing up ridiculous arguments like Cincinnati has better public transit than Cleveland really isn't that surprising.
Which leads to discounting credibility about any other posts and ''facts''. I lived in Cinci for 4 years; nice place, twangy accents and an amazing amount of animosity for Cleveland. Lived in Cleveland, never heard a beep about Cinci; strange, these one-sided rivalries (kinda like Chicago's rivalry with NY). I think Cleveland and Cinci are completely different cities.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Probably because Cincinnati is in Ohio; if Cincinnati was across the river where Newport, KY is, then it might not be considered to be in Yankee Land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City