Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Didnt the OP ask about things to do?

Quote:
For the second year in a row, Eventful analyzed data for all U.S. cities with a population exceeding 100,000, as well as select cities with smaller populations, examining the quantity and nature of the local events in each market. As one would expect, major markets like New York, Los Angeles and Chicago held several of the top spots. At the same time, many smaller cities made surprise appearances in the rankings due to unexpectedly large number of events for their size. Seattle jumped from thirteenth place to fifth overall this year thanks to its vibrant music scene and its wealth of outdoor activities. San Francisco, meanwhile, held steady in third place due to its abundance of diverse cultural offerings, strong options for singles and proximity to thousands of acres of open space.
Top 25 Most Eventful Cities

1. New York, New York
2. Los Angeles, California
3. San Francisco, California
4. Chicago, Illinois
5. Seattle, Washington
6. Phoenix, Arizona
7. Dallas, Texas
8. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
9. Las Vegas, Nevada
10. San Diego, California
11. Atlanta, Georgia
12. Boston, Massachusetts
13. Houston, Texas
14. Washington D.C.
15. Miami, Florida
16. Tucson, Arizona
17. Minneapolis, Minnesota
18. Denver, Colorado
19. Austin, Texas
20. Nashville, Tennessee
21. Orlando, Florida
22. Tampa, Florida
23. Baltimore, Maryland
24. Albuquerque, New Mexico
25. St. Louis, Missouri

Eventful, Inc. Press Release: THE NEW 2008 ‘MOST EVENTFUL CITIES’ RANKINGS WILL SURPRISE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:38 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,725,521 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^PHX way ahead of DC. Yeah that list is real credible

Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^PHX way ahead of DC. Yeah that list is real credible
the same formula applied for all the cities and Phoenix came out ahead of many of the cities whose ONLY claim to fame is history.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 AM

The boosterism of SF homers' knows no bounds.

Which is why I always gotta put 'em in check.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
The boosterism of SF homers' knows no bounds.

Which is why I always gotta put 'em in check.
Actually you have to win an argument first. And that has yet to happen.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:23 AM

515 posts, read 987,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I don't think its a dumb question at all. I don't know why there should be a fuss one way or another anytime one of these comparisons is drawn. But typically it results from people saying it isn't fair for the Bay Area to use a whole "CSA" when the next area is using an MSA, regardless of how much more or less comparable that comparison may actually be in reality. If we're comparing two places, then I think we should look at all those places realistically encompass. If one excels beyond the next, then so be it. But I don't think a place should have to be maimed or crippled just to make a comparison "fair" in certain peoples' eyes. Personally I don't really care what people want to call it as long as the ACTUAL Bay Area is being looked at, and not this imaginary split version that makes it only like 60-70% of what it really is. There will always be conflict as long as we're being told by outsiders that we live in an area that is "clearly" split into two "distinct metros" that just happen to border each other.

I think its absolutely ridiculous that Philly gets denied Mercer County at this point, now that I have a better picture of how much more closely tied that county is to Philly. I think if any two locations are being compared, then we should always look at what realistically constitutes those places rather than the arbitrary Census boundaries. If most people in Mercer County are all Eagles/Phillies fans and spend most of their city time in Philly, then they are from Philly's metro IMO.

In this case, regardless of whether SF could win with or without SJ, it should still be included unless we're just looking at a city-to-city comparison. If you're in SF, SJ is still part of the package whether you like it or not. We share the same entertainment venues like Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, Oracle Arena in Oakland, HP Pavillion in SJ and the Cow Palace, Fillmore and Warfield in SF. We share a lot of things, but I believe that has already been covered so I'll stop here. But my point is, as you too have already pointed out, this thread is about the SF Bay Area and that includes all 9-counties that make it up.
Great post, I agree with everything you've said here.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 AM

515 posts, read 987,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Huh? because I pointed out a SF poster was the one who started arguing all this SF and SJ should be one MSA stuff? And I told a poster he or she is stating a opinion and this thread is subjective. Where is the hostile or the unnecessarily part?
As many people have pointed out, it is not "subjective" or an "opinion" that the Bay Area is one, integrated, urban region that encompasses both San Francisco and San Jose. And regardless of what the census classifies the region as, the truth is that San Francisco and San Jose (and all of the many cities in between) are extremely dependent on one another and act cohesively as any other major metropolitan area in the country.

I don't even live in the Bay Area anymore (been on the east coast for 6-years now), and continue to argue this point.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Lets look at the burbs.

Oakland vs Buckhead
Berkley vs Sandy Springs
San Jose vs Marietta
Palo Alto vs Alphretta

Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
^^ Oakland and Buckhead are not suburbs. Neither is San Jose. WTF...

Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 AM

Buckhead and San Jose are built alot like suburbs. Oakland is a suburb by default
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City