Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:08 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Hmm, so that's exactly why they shifted the entire industry, sell millions of records, and shaped pop culture for the last 10 to 15 years. Oh, wait.
Not exactly sure what you're getting at. The record industry is a shell of its former self, well on its way to extinction. Nobody is selling millions of albums. Big artists like Eminem and Jay-Z can't even attain platinum status anymore.

If anything, I BLAME the South for the decline in quality of hip-hop music. Ringtone rap originated in Atlanta. Garbage-ass rappers like Ying Yang Twinz, Soulja Boy Tell 'Em, Lil Scrappy, Rocko, Yung Joc, D4L, Gucci Mane, Shawty Lo, Crime Mob, Gorilla Zoe, Young Dro, DJ Unk, Pastor Troy, and Young Jeezy pretty much ruined an entire genre of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
P.S.

You are aware that there is plenty of underground hip-hop Atlanta (most likely larger than anything in Minneapolis. LOL) and is one the genesis points for the neo-soul movement, right?
Can you name some of these so-called "underground" Atlanta rappers? Wasn't neo-soul a 90's trend? Isn't that what gave us Jill Scott, Maxwell, Erykah Badu, D'Angelo, etc?

Old 05-27-2010, 02:10 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
I guess my question is why would anyone willingly relocate from Atlanta to the Twin Cities area realistically? The Twin Cities are nice to visit, but I sure don’t know of anyone leaving Atlanta headed in that direction- not by choice anyway. Let’s keep it real; the winters up there should be deterrent enough for the average sane individual if they know like I know!
I unfortunately used to live in Atlanta as a child, and now I call the Twin Cities home; though I'm from Michigan and moved from there to Minnesota. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Atlanta. Your summers are unbearable - I'd take an Antarctic winter over a Georgia summer any day.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:10 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
I can agree with the ringtone rap statement except I'd take Young Jeezy off the list, I think he's a decent rapper, but yeah besides him the rest of those guys suck.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
What's your point?? Most of the artists aren't even from the Twin Cities.
Matter of fact the most well known of them, MF Doom, is from London and now lives in NY. I know this because a good friend of mine (who is from Atlanta BTW) did some production for him not to long ago....try agin dude
Most of the artists in Atlanta aren't originally from there either. Ludacris is from Chicago, yet he's usually the 2nd rapper people mention after OutKast.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
exactly, some of the hottest underground artists are from Atlanta
B.O.B. (who is about to blow big IMO)
Pill- (what up Drew, Pink City stand up!!!!) lol
Yella Wolf
Bank Wachovia
just to name a few
And lets throw in Cee-Lo who is half of one of the most innovative rap groups (Gnarles Barkley) in a while
And of course we cant forget the man, the legend, MR. ANDRE 3000 aka 3 stacks
(who went to my middle school by the way...W.A Sutton Jaguars in the buildin'!!!)
Cee-Lo and Andre 3000 aren't underground rappers. Bobby Ray, he hasn't been known as B.O.B. for like a year now, is an up-and-comer (along with Asher Roth) but they're no Rhymesayers.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:16 PM

364 posts, read 717,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
If anything, I BLAME the South for the decline in quality of hip-hop music. Ringtone rap originated in Atlanta. Garbage-ass rappers like Ying Yang Twinz, Soulja Boy Tell 'Em, Lil Scrappy, Rocko, Yung Joc, D4L, Gucci Mane, Shawty Lo, Crime Mob, Gorilla Zoe, Young Dro, DJ Unk, Pastor Troy, and Young Jeezy pretty much ruined an entire genre of music.
Most of the people whom you listed are garbage, but I will say one thing, allot of those guys were shall I say "street dudes" and they basically just wanted to go legit. All they are is pretty much hood business people who figured out how to make a quick buck and leave the traps and dope spots alone. They didnt make the country listen to it and buy ring tones and singles en masse, they were messing around one day and it worked so why not make a dollar????? Atlanta is home to some of the most hustle and money minded AA's anywhere in the country. Dont blame us cuz the rest of the country bought that BS we were selling....lol

Old 05-27-2010, 02:17 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Not exactly sure what you're getting at. The record industry is a shell of its former self, well on its way to extinction. Nobody is selling millions of albums. Big artists like Eminem and Jay-Z can't even attain platinum status anymore.

Can you name some of these so-called "underground" Atlanta rappers? Wasn't neo-soul a 90's trend? Isn't that what gave us Jill Scott, Maxwell, Erykah Badu, D'Angelo, etc?
I probably could have let the rest of your post ride, but you have to admit Gucci Mane is representing! To me, he’s the “it rapper” of right now. That’s not to say that he’ll have the same longevity as Jay Z, Lil-Wayne etc, but you have to admit he’s doing his thing and people can’t get enough of him.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:21 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
I guess my question is why would anyone willingly relocate from anywhere to Atlanta area realistically. Leastwise if you don't want to be a victim to crime...

Moderator cut: link removed

Murder rate 4.52 times the National Avg
Forcible Rape rate 1.79 times the National Avg
Robbery rate 3.92 times the National Avg
Aggravated Assault rate 2.79 times the National Avg
All Violent Crime rate 3.30 times the National Avg
Burglary rate 2.20 times the National Avg
Larceny or Theft rate 1.79 times the National Avg
Car Theft rate 2.80 times the National Avg
Arson rate 1.29 times the National Avg
All Property Crime rate 2.01 times the National Avg

...good area to be if you happen to be a criminal I guess.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:58 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
We really did get off topic though, I forgot the Twin Cities were even included in this thread.
That's because the Southerners got way off topic, like they always do. I swear every thread involving a Southern city degenerates into a cluster**** of self congratulatory malarckey. It's called preaching to the choir, and you guys are simply great at it. Don't let us other pesky posters get in the way of your praising Atlanta.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:29 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I guess my question is why would anyone willingly relocate from anywhere to Atlanta area realistically. Leastwise if you don't want to be a victim to crime...

Moderator cut: link removed

Murder rate 4.52 times the National Avg
Forcible Rape rate 1.79 times the National Avg
Robbery rate 3.92 times the National Avg
Aggravated Assault rate 2.79 times the National Avg
All Violent Crime rate 3.30 times the National Avg
Burglary rate 2.20 times the National Avg
Larceny or Theft rate 1.79 times the National Avg
Car Theft rate 2.80 times the National Avg
Arson rate 1.29 times the National Avg
All Property Crime rate 2.01 times the National Avg

...good area to be if you happen to be a criminal I guess.
Well for one, those numbers are 7 years old. Violent crime has decreased significantly, but this is still a big city. Crime happens in a big city.

Secondly, you'll have to ask the 1.2 million people that have moved here in the last 10 years (as opposed to the 300,000 people that moved the Twin Cities in the same time frame) . Apparently, they think it's an ok place

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City