Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:17 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,463 times

Advertisements

^You're saying Minneapolis is safe and not filled with gangs and thugs and that's a bad thing?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:26 AM

364 posts, read 717,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
^You're saying Minneapolis is safe and not filled with gangs and thugs and that's a bad thing?

Not at all, thats a wonderful thing. But some of your Twin Cities brethren are acting like I'm gonna get mugged if I turn down the wrong street, and I dont ever have had to have been there to know that is not the case up there.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:28 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
With everything else being a tie or subjective (I wouldn't comment on housing style because I'm not sure what type of housing styles there are in the Twin Cities. You can find just about any style imaginable in the Atlanta Metro.)

I would choose based on two criteria.

Economy: Since the recession Georgia's economy has been really slow but still would give Atlanta the edge because it's economy is larger and more diverse and before (and presume after the it ends) the recession was for a long time one of if not the fastest growing in the nation.

Transportation: I don't understand why some are giving the Twin cities the lead here. Minneapolis' light rail while successful is no match for Atlanta's MARTA rail and Atlanta also has tons of bus, shuttle lines and park and rides that connect to MARTA.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
quoted post removed by moderator
OMG! Zone2flyboy you are dead wrong for that! But I almost chocked and had to stop myself from falling on the floor laughin cause I was thinking the exact same thing (even though I know it's not true).

But you have to give it credit, my dad's originally from the midwest and went to Mancator State (spelling?) and he told me many years ago he was impressed by the number of interracial couples there even if the overall black population is really low.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-27-2010 at 08:43 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 10:35 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
How would you like me to check those facts? Is there another reason Georgia's population is like 50% African American and has been for over 100 years? It's not like people willingly migrated there from Africa until maybe the past few decades. How do you think they got there? Was the South some secretive immigration mecca for low paid Africans seeking the American dream -- especially during the hostile 1700's and 1800's? Check YOUR facts!
Wrong again. Where are you coming up with this stuff?

Again, check your facts. You couldn't be more off with your figures if you tried.

Georgia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 05-27-2010, 10:45 AM

364 posts, read 717,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
OMG! Zone2flyboy you are dead wrong for that! But I almost chocked and had to stop myself from falling on the floor laughin cause I was thinking the exact same thing (even though I know it's not true).

But you have to give it credit, my dad's originally from the midwest and went to Mancator State (spelling?) and he told me many years ago he was impressed by the number of interracial couples there even if the overall black population is really low.

rofl!!!! But I just thought about something, Morris Day and Jimmy Jam live in Atlanta now so I guess we'll have to decrease the AA population up there by another 2/3's....

Old 05-27-2010, 11:11 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,463 times
Quote:
I think you mean Mankato State which is about an hour and a half south of the Twin Cities.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:43 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
You talkin' to me?
I know you are but what am I?
Minneapolis has way more disc golf courses than Atlanta, and more world ranked discers too.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
quoted post removed by moderator
I love it; that was priceless!

You're also absolutely right, there definitely aren’t that many black people up that way. My sister lived in St. Paul for about 4 years while working for Minnesota Mutual some years ago so I had the opportunity to visit the twin cities several times. This was a while back, but here goes…

-Culture…Atlanta; definitely more diverse.
-Economy….Atlanta; there always seems to be new things popping up in Atlanta.
-Cost of Living….Atlanta easily. I remember my sister’s apartment in St. Paul being rather pricey even for that time period.
-Food….That could be a draw. I’m greedy enough to have eaten everything that didn’t eat me, so I enjoyed the food in both areas.
-Transportation….I can’t remember if they had a railway system up there or not, but I do remember the skywalks in downtown Minneapolis to help people avoid the cold/snow in the winters. I would go with Atlanta.
-Walkable neighborhoods. Twin Cities; Atlanta is too spread out for all of that walking; just my opinion.
-Housing styles….Atlanta; much more modern. I’m in the Sunbelt, and we love new stuff!
-Natural scenery….I really can’t remember much natural scenery up that way, but because it’s just so different from Atlanta and the Sunbelt in general I did enjoy driving around the area just site seeing as I normally do.

To summarize, my sister couldn’t get away from up there fast enough because of the weather (a given) and honestly I think she missed the diversity of the south. I don’t think the average person would have to give it much thought; Atlanta would be the easy pick. The winters are nowhere near as brutal as up there, and Atlanta is just so much more relevant TODAY. You hear things about Atlanta every day (CNN); it’s a modern day media core whereas I hear nothing about the Twin Cities.
I'm sure Prince and Morris will concur!

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-27-2010 at 08:45 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 12:13 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
ROFL...............Are there even any black or hispanic people in the Twin Cities?????????????? I dont think I've ever met a black person from there.
Here's one.

BTW, where are all the Latinos in Atlanta? I wasn't aware there were any Latinos in the South outside of TX and FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City