Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:55 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Here we go ATL homers: Southeast Region "Diversity"

Year % Black
1800 - 35%
1820 - 37%
1840 - 38%
1860 - 37%
1880 - 36%
1900 - 32%
1920 - 27%
1940 - 24%
1960 - 21%
1980 - 19%
2000 - ??%

So again, Johnatl, how was it that the South (Georgia being the epicenter of the South) was over 35% black for the 1800's without illegal slave trade? So if you take this percentage TODAY, which I'm not sure what it is but let's call it roughly 30% of the Georgia populace is AA, then MORE THAN HALF of the state's demographic is built on the backs of illegal slavery long ago.....just saying it's nothing to promote or bump your chest about. I realize since the Great Migration many have willingly come back to Georgia and I know Georgia and Atlanta especially have a sizable African immigration population, so that argument begins to change moving forward. Still, nothing to be proud of historically speaking.

That data came from the US Census Bureau. Hope that answers your questions. I still have no idea what YOUR argument was about but I'm happy to back something such as "the South was built on slavery" with statistics.
If you think its some sort of great discovery that you made that the America had slavery (not just the South), then I'm not sure what to say to that.

But Atlanta has plenty to be proud of when it comes to the past. Afterall, this was the city that was the organizing point for the fight against the end of segregation. The city also desegregated voluntarily and there were zero race riots during the Civil Rights era.

Even before that time, Atlanta had a large and influential middle and upper class black population. This was something that was not only rare in the south, but anywhere else in this country. From these families came some of the most influential people in the last half century such as MLK...maybe you've heard of him.

Atlanta does have a lot to be proud of about its past...as long you realize this is the home of MLK and Jimmy Carter (transplant) and not idiots like Bull Connor. This city was the more progressive of the other southern cities in that era, which is why we grew as large as we did.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:56 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I like how the Twin Cities seem like big small towns. Atlanta can keep all of those celebrities, rappers, and international attention - we don't want it up here.

As far as the whole race thing - Minnesota has always been very progressive on race relations, which is much more than you can say about the South. Also, I don't know why people think of Minnesota as all white - it isn't. Both Minneapolis and St. Paul are more than 30% minority (above the national average), and the TC metro itself is close to the national average, with a growing minority population. You'd be hard pressed to even find a small town in Minnesota that is 100% white - they are very rare. If you want some metros that are really close to being "all white," try Bismarck, ND (95.24% white) or Fargo, ND (94.77% white), and even those areas have some diversity and multiculturalism to them - you wouldn't stand out as a minority. The main reason that the South is more diverse is slavery - that's not something to be proud of.

Weather - Twin Cities easily. Despite the freak heat wave, our summers are much cooler, and we have four seasons - including our famous winters. Atlanta has a muted 3-season climate: a long rainy spring, a toned-down version of fall , and a LONG HOT HUMID SUMMER - no real winter to speak of.

Music - Minnesota has Bob Dylan, Prince, Hüsker Dü, The Replacements . . . Atlanta has what? Ludacris, Soulja Boi, the Ying Yang Twins?!?!
MN easily wins there.

Cities - the Twin Cities ≠ Minneapolis. We have TWO great large and very different cities. Atlanta is by itself (and no, Buckhead and Perimeter don't count).
Nice try. Yes all of them in addition to Usher, Monica, Toni Braxton, Musiq Soulchild (Philly transplant), Keisha Cole (Jersey transplant), Ciara, Peebo Bryson, Keith Sweat, TLC, TI, Jermaine Dupri, Keri Hilson, The Dream, Outkast, Jagged Edge, Babyface- the list goes on and on. Aside from the Hip-Hop/R&B side of things, The Black Crowes, Sevendust and John Mayer are all from Atlanta as well. You’d probably know more about them if you’d stop buying Ludacris, Soulja Boi, and the Ying Yang Twins. You put them where they are not me.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM

364 posts, read 717,310 times
Quote:

Music - Minnesota has Bob Dylan, Prince, Hüsker Dü, The Replacements . . . Atlanta has what? Ludacris, Soulja Boi, the Ying Yang Twins?!?!
MN easily wins there.

You seem to have omitted quite a few people

T.I. (rap)
Justin Beiber (pop)
Young Jeezy (rap)
Mastadon (heavy metal)
The Black Crowes (rock)
Collective Soul (rock)
Jermaine Dupri (producer)
Sevendust (rock)
The Indigo Girls (Indie Rock)
Usher (R&B)
The Dream (R&B)
Outkast (rap) -greatest rap duo of all time BTW
Sugarland (country)
Allan Jackson (country)
R.E.M. (rock)- from Athens but its close enough
The B 52's (same as above)
Elton John- (pop)- not from the A but he lives here
Gladys Knight and the Pips (R&B)
B.O.B (rap)-also one of the hottest underground rap acts at the moment
Cee-Lo (rap)
Gucci Mane (rap)
The Chariot (heavy metal)
Cartel (rock)
And the list continues but I cant remember anybody else....
Not to mention that most if not all of the artists from the Twin Cities reside here now- Babyface, Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, Morris Day...sh*t thats like the entire Time band....lol, Guess they got tired of the vast entertainment options in the Twin Cities and decided to come on down to this slow, country bumpkin town...rofl

Also home to the only black owned film and television studio in the country, Tyler Perry Studios

Old 05-27-2010, 01:05 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
In before the Lock
It took me 3 times to realize what this means but LOL so funny

Old 05-27-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
Nice try. Yes all of them in addition to Usher, Monica, Toni Braxton, Musiq Soulchild (Philly transplant), Keisha Cole (Jersey transplant), Ciara, Peebo Bryson, Keith Sweat, TLC, TI, Jermaine Dupri, Keri Hilson, The Dream, Outkast, Jagged Edge, Babyface- the list goes on and on. Aside from the Hip-Hop/R&B side of things, The Black Crowes, Sevendust and John Mayer are all from Atlanta as well. You’d probably know more about them if you’d stop buying Ludacris, Soulja Boi, and the Ying Yang Twins. You put them where they are not me.

You forgot about the Time band, it just dawned on me that like the entire Minneapolis sound from the 80's lives here now. Morris Day, Jimmy Jam, and Babyface all live in Buckhead....

Old 05-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Cities - the Twin Cities ≠ Minneapolis. We have TWO great large and very different cities. Atlanta is by itself (and no, Buckhead and Perimeter don't count).
Ummm last time I checked Buckhead is in Atlanta..
lol @ you thinking Buckhead is a seperate city.
And the Perimter is the I-285 interstate that circles Atlanta, perhaps you meant Dunwoody or Perimeter Mall???

Old 05-27-2010, 01:11 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Keyshia Cole is originally from Oakland, California and John Mayer is originally from Connecticut.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:12 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Default Lmao!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
You forgot about the Time band, it just dawned on me that like the entire Minneapolis sound from the 80's lives here now. Morris Day, Jimmy Jam, and Babyface all live in Buckhead....

LMAO!!!

I didn’t know that but I’m hardly surprised. I actually started to say (sarcastically) that you’ll probably run into Prince & friends in Atlanta these days not knowing they’ve actually moved there. The poster obviously doesn’t know very much about the Atlanta music scene. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Keyshia Cole is originally from Oakland, California and John Mayer is originally from Connecticut.
LOl..but she sure lives here now though. I just saw her ghetto @ss mom in Pin Ups not even 3 months ago. And she was looking pretty snowed up if you catch my drift, it appears as if Frankie has fallen off the wagon

Old 05-27-2010, 01:13 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Yeah I know she lives in Atlanta now I was just clearing up what MOMAZBOI said because he said she was from New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City