Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
1. Boston
2. New Orleans
3. Baltimore
4. Houston
5. Seattle
I like this list - maybe an honorable mention to San Francisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 11:09 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Never had seafood in SF.

I had seafood in Seattle, on the other hand, for seven straight days. That's because the people there kept bragging about the wild salmon. I admit that it was a good fish, but the preparation is as important as the quality of the fish (imo), and I felt Seattle came up short there. There was nothing in particular that stands out the way a crabcake seasoned with Old Bay, lemon and dressing does or the way shrimp and grits in Charleston does. I thought the seafood there, while fresh (but isn't that the case for most places on the water?), was exceptionally bland.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:15 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Is this thread about who has the best seafood or who has the best seafood restaurants or regional seafood dishes? Because, they're not neccesarily one and the same.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:17 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Is this thread about who has the best seafood or who has the best seafood restaurants or regional seafood dishes? Because, they're not neccesarily one and the same.
I suppose it be could any of those three. The OP doesn't specify.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'd say Seattle and San Fran could be switchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916
1. New Orleans
2. Boston
3. San Francisco
4.Baltimore
5. New York?
I'd think NYC is more known for their pizza than anything else. The entire state, really.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:37 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Never had seafood in SF.

I had seafood in Seattle, on the other hand, for seven straight days. That's because the people there kept bragging about the wild salmon. I admit that it was a good fish, but the preparation is as important as the quality of the fish (imo), and I felt Seattle came up short there. There was nothing in particular that stands out the way a crabcake seasoned with Old Bay, lemon and dressing does or the way shrimp and grits in Charleston does. I thought the seafood there, while fresh (but isn't that the case for most places on the water?), was exceptionally bland.
The Northwest has great seafood--but it just doesn't have any really amazing regional dishes that are really unique to the area. I mean salmon dishes aren't specifically unique to the region, but you'll find salmon in almost everything up here. Salmon chowder and salmon cakes and so on... Some of the highest quality salmon is coming from Alaska however like the prized Copper River salmon. There's plenty of good chefs cooking seafood in Seattle--and good Asian places especially Chinese specializing in seafood, but you don't have something like you have in Boston or Baltimore or New Orleans where there's unique seafood dishes to the area that you're going to find at both expensive restaurants and little seafood shacks. The selection of oysters in the Northwest is very good as well if that's something you like--there's a good range that's different than the larger oysters of the Southeast, with a broad range of taste and size--New England is similar in this way as well. You can find crab-cakes in Seattle restaurants, though the Dungeness crab of the Northwest, while very tasty--isn't as suited to making crab-cakes as the blue crabs of the Chesapeke Bay region.

On the other hand I can drive out to the Oregon coast in about an hour, go fishing in my friend's boat, catch several salmon, throw out a crab pot and get a couple Dungeness crabs, get some mussels at low tide, and then buy some Nehalem and Tillamook Bay oysters for incredibly cheap prices on the way home. There's incredibly easy access to seafood here, but I'm not sure how much better than somewhere like Chesapeake Bay or much of the Gulf Coast it'd be. It's probably more just a matter of preference. Though I'll say that in much of the Southeast, I've found places where seafood is incredibly cheap to eat in restaurants compared to the Northwest. Giant oysters in Louisiana for $10 a dozen at an oyster bar is much cheaper than the West Coast or cheap and fresh catch of the day specials in Florida with grouper or mahi-mahi for a bargain. But it's more so that restaurants are more expensive, you can get seafood cheap if you know where to go or just catch it yourself.

San Francisco on the other hand can lay claim to the cioppino--which despite being a dish with it's origins in the recipes of the Genovese fisherman of Italy who settled in SF--has basically become it's own regional specialty. The best are the huge cioppinos you can get with several types of fish, mussels, clams, crab legs, shrimp, scallops, and calamari with fresh sourdough bread on the side. Just like Boston and New England have the lobster roll or Baltimore has crab-cakes or New Orleans has seafood gumbo, bbq shrimp, baked oyster dishes, and crawfish etoufee and so on.

Last edited by Deezus; 10-19-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,667 times
of the places i've been

Newport Oregon
Seattle
Portland Maine
San Francisco
Brookings Oregon

Old 10-19-2012, 12:03 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,589 times
Baltimore

Old 10-19-2012, 12:54 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Sadly, I think China has taken over a good amount of the Crawfish industry. Like in grocery stores (or at least in New Orleans), they have frozen and peeled Chinese Crawfish and they are always cheaper than the local stuff (but not as good of course). I think most people still try to use local crawfish and the crawfish that is still in the shell is usually always local. You can even see from that source that I posted that it went from 90% of all crawfish harvested in the world to just saying 95% of crawfish harvested in the U.S.
It's true with crabs in Maryland too if you buy it from a supermarket (precooked and frozen).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City