Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 06:46 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Maine itself has much better choices for seafood than the city of Boston. Even the North Shore suburbs in Mass. have better selection. The smaller coastal communities with the clam shacks and little fishing harbors are the best (Gloucester/Essex/Ipwsich, MA, Portsmouth, NH, York/Ogunquit/Kennebunkport/Rockland/Boothbay Harbor, ME) and several more.
I agree to an extent. Frankly, I don't think Maine or NH, the suburbs, the Cape, etc. actually have better seafood than Boston. There's really no difference from having Cod for dinner in Gloucester that came off the boat at the end of the dock that morning or having Cod for dinner in Boston that came of the same boat in Gloucester that morning and was trucked in to town. The best and freshest sushi I've had was in Boston (O Ya). It just set me WAYYYY back. Best swordfish too (Terramia). I've had plenty of top notch seafood dinners in Boston.

Where I think the smaller places outside of the city have the advantage is price and accessibility for the consumers. There's no getting around it... eating in Boston is more expensive. Good seafood will put a dent in your wallet in Boston. What's more is that Boston really lacks good, affordable, seafood specific restaurants like those little harbors do with their clam shacks and low-key places. You get local specialties in these towns too. For example, New Bedford brings in a TON of scallops. Almost every restaurant, even the mediocre ones, have EXCELLENT scallops. If they don't, they deserve to be shut down immediately. I went to a place (not a sushi place) in Stonington, ME that had a few sea urchin dishes on the menu. Wellfleet on the cape has great local oysters. Point Judith has calamari to die for.

What Boston does have is awesome seafood as a staple in its other restaurants. What I mean is that the best sushi places will take advantage of the fresh, local catch. The best Italian or French places will have fresh of the boat local swordfish or tuna. The best tapas place has 3 different Scallop dishes, etc.

While Boston may not have as many great seafood-only restaurants as you find in the smaller communities along the NE coast, I still think you'll find better seafood (at the very least, as good) overall in Boston than you will outside of the city. They're may be an outlier in one of those little towns that would be a great restaurant in Boston if it were located there (Primo, in Rockland Maine comes immediately to mind); but to me, Boston has better seafood overall. I think Boston restaurants take all of the specialties of those little harbors and combine them into a great food scene for seafood lovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
OK I get it, they became a chain and now they are not at the top of their game anymore. Still, the reviews are pretty good, for the original as well as the branch locations.
Maybe it's my age, but I don't ever remember Legal Seafoods being "good." They can cook up a passable fish and chips, the chowder (again, they buy it from another company) is good, but nothing they do is at or anywhere near the top of the game in Boston. I certainly wouldn't use Legal Seafoods as an argument as to why Boston has good seafood. Sure, you can get better seafood there than in most places in Kansas City, MO... but there are a gazillion places that are better in Boston and New England in general. If you go to Boston and want to try good local seafood, you're missing the boat if you pick Legal Seafoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Something smells fishy here...

LOL in that case somebody didn't pack in ice....LOL

Old 07-07-2012, 02:09 PM

15 posts, read 16,483 times
Red's in Wiscasset still has the best Lobstah Roll in the World to me!

Old 07-07-2012, 04:40 PM

451 posts, read 694,924 times
Seattle
San Francisco
Boston
Baltimore
New Orleans

/thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:50 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,793 times
I think all the big ones have been covered (pretty much read the last post and add some more New England cities). I think Miami has a lot of potential that it doesn't utilize.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:09 PM

422 posts, read 815,395 times
Quality is going to be in major coastal cities along I-5 and I-95 with the exception of New Orleans (and technically, San Fran).

Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 AM

469 posts, read 969,947 times
1. New Orleans
2. Tampa / Gulf area
3. Baltimore
4. Seattle
5. Boston

Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
1. Seattle
2. Los Angeles
3.San Francisco
4.Anchorage Alaska
5.Washington D.C.
Just curious, what is LA known for when it comes to seafood?

Everytime I think of seafood in California I think of the Bay Area first & foremost.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 AM

469 posts, read 969,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Just curious, what is LA known for when it comes to seafood?

Everytime I think of seafood in California I think of the Bay Area first & foremost.
Good point. I've eaten in a scenic oceanside spot or two in L.A. (Malibu) or Marina Del Ray, but no featured entree stood out as tops. The Bay area, however doesn't quite produce the value for the high check you pay there. There is nothing like a fresh bowl of Seafood Chowder and a Napa wine dockside in Sausalito.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
My favorite seafood cities are Seattle and Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City