Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Orlando 75 39.27%
Tampa 116 60.73%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:58 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33nthe813 View Post
Thank you for finally being specific! Maybe it does have some history of its own, but I think that most people would agree that Tampa has much more. And I challenge you to find me a single convention in Orlando as important as the Super Bowl or Republican National Convention.
Easy
NCTE Annual Convention
My mom's friends go to it every year.
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) :: Annual VFW National Convention 2008. Uncle went to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 02:04 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
And I challenge you to find me a single convention in Orlando as important as the Super Bowl or Republican National Convention.
Wow so I guess if I'm an NFL fan who votes GOP then I'm pretty important!!??

World's most popular destination or Tampa, hmmm let's see...

Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Exactly, they are both mid sized cities, with humble yet nice skylines.

Tampa has a taller more cluster-like skyline, Orlando has a lower but still high rise based skyline due to an FAA restriction that limits our height. Tampa's is more generic, and more plain looking. Orlando has more interesting buildings, more life, and a better park with Lake Eola.

Tampa's skyline is full of office towers which means business people all day long and then at 5pm they journey back to the burbs or St. Pete. If you've ever been at night to downtown Tampa where the "skyline" is, then you know what I mean. Orlando's skyline however, is full of condo & office towers where people actually live and work in downtown and it usually gets busier after 5pm.

Simply put, Orlando's skyline = more people, life, entertainment. Tampa's skyline = offices, 9-5ers, and commuters. Sorry, I base my preference on quality of life as evidenced by the skyline, Orlando wins hands down.

Oh and my challenge still stands, show me a photo that shows Tampa's is better. Not just taller, not a few extra buildings, not more visible or any other excuse. Make the better part visible like I did by showcasing an excellent urban park and the high rise condos with the million dollar views that over look them.

Here's one the City of Orlando offers that showcases the downtown area nicely:
I HATE THIS.
This is true. However Tampa and Orlando are doing the same as far as making downtown more "Play" and not all "Work". i think both cities are handling that well but give Orlando the lead.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
I HATE THIS.
This is true. However Tampa and Orlando are doing the same as far as making downtown more "Play" and not all "Work". i think both cities are handling that well but give Orlando the lead.
I'll concede to both of your points, again you and I seem to like both but give Orlando the lead

Old 06-11-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I'll concede to both of your points, again you and I seem to like both but give Orlando the lead
I mean Tampa's airport is not too far from their downtown either so I don't see what Orlando's problem is.

And Yes I give it the lead in the category. I would agree Tampa's downtown has more of a business sense as there is nothing wrong with that though

Old 06-11-2010, 02:17 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33nthe813 View Post
What kind of history does Orlando have? What historic areas do they have? What national conventions do they host? Tampa has a top ten theme park in Busch Gardens, and Orlando plays a HUGE role in the military???? really??? and more well known???
Orlando has plenty of History, just cause you don't know it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I could say the same thing about Tampa because I don't know Tampa's history. The Orlando area has been settled since the 1800s like tampa and has many historic areas, like the lake Eola heights historic district and more.. Facts - Division of Historical Resources (http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/facts/reports/places/Counties/Orange.cfm - broken link)

What national conventions does Orlando host? are you really asking that? Again Orlando is one of the largest convention city in the United States, 2nd behind Chicago, and WAY ahead of tampa. The International Pow Wow 2010 week-long event just wrapped up in Orlando a few weeks ago. It was held from May 15-19 at the Orange County Convention Center. Pow Wow brings together tourism destinations, businesses, organization and vendors from all over the world to showcase their products to media professionals, tour operators and tourism officials. Here is a list of conventions coming in the next few months Calendar of Events Page

Orlando does play a large role in the Military. Like I said Orlando is the hub of the nation’s military simulation and training programs, and is home to the simulation procurement commands for the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. And Lockeed Martin in Orlando plays a big role in the Military
Lockheed Martin Corp.: Lockheed's Orlando units reel in $14 million in Army, Navy deals - OrlandoSentinel.com

I'm not even gonna argue about Orlando being more well known and having better tourist attractions. Orlando is often ranked the most visited city in the US and if its not, its always in the top 5. America’s most-visited cities - US and Canada- msnbc.com

Old 06-11-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Orlando has plenty of History, just cause you don't know it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I could say the same thing about Tampa because I don't know Tampa's history. The Orlando area has been settled since the 1800s like tampa and has many historic areas, like the lake Eola heights historic district and more.. Facts - Division of Historical Resources (http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/facts/reports/places/Counties/Orange.cfm - broken link)

What national conventions does Orlando host? are you really asking that? Again Orlando is one of the largest convention city in the United States, 2nd behind Chicago, and WAY ahead of tampa. The International Pow Wow 2010 week-long event just wrapped up in Orlando a few weeks ago. It was held from May 15-19 at the Orange County Convention Center. Pow Wow brings together tourism destinations, businesses, organization and vendors from all over the world to showcase their products to media professionals, tour operators and tourism officials. Here is a list of conventions coming in the next few months Calendar of Events Page

Orlando does play a large role in the Military. Like I said Orlando is the hub of the nation’s military simulation and training programs, and is home to the simulation procurement commands for the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. And Lockeed Martin in Orlando plays a big role in the Military
Lockheed Martin Corp.: Lockheed's Orlando units reel in $14 million in Army, Navy deals - OrlandoSentinel.com

I'm not even gonna argue about Orlando being more well known and having better tourist attractions. Orlando is often ranked the most visited city in the US and if its not, its always in the top 5. America’s most-visited cities - US and Canada- msnbc.com
Nice post. interesting List of events.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
I mean Tampa's airport is not too far from their downtown either so I don't see what Orlando's problem is.
TPA is about 7 miles out from the high rises and the runways/flight paths are not in the direction of the city. Same with MCO in Orlando. It is ORL aka Orlando Executive Airport that causes the problem since it's less than 6 miles from the high rises and the runway's positioning causes flight path conflicts.

Quote:
And Yes I give it the lead in the category. I would agree Tampa's downtown has more of a business sense as there is nothing wrong with that though

Nothing wrong with that, great for jobs and such. Tampa's nightlife is in Ybor though, which I like. Orlando's is right in downtown. Neither is better, just different.
Let's loose the obsession with height, city life makes a city not a skyline.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Just read the article, and yes metro Orlando is and always will be the undisputed vacation capital/most visited city in North America. Sorry, that's just the truth. Usually the polls that have us behind Vegas or NYC don't take into account that many of our hotels/attractions are outside of our city limits but in the metro area and are thus Orlando. Thanks for finding that one GLS

Old 06-11-2010, 03:00 PM

138 posts, read 214,785 times
lets face it. if orlando never had disney, we might not even be referring to it as a major city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City