Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Orlando 75 39.27%
Tampa 116 60.73%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:32 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times

Advertisements

So how many international flights does Tampa have at their airport? You can literally fly to Ireland, England, Germany, France, and Canada direct from Orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 08:37 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Here are its operating hours. The hard core drinkers might need to get a ride, or walk, but most people will be good.

Monday - Wednesday....................11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Thursday.......................................... 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Friday............................................ ...11:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m.
Saturday.......................................... .9:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m.
Sunday............................................ ..Noon to 8:00 p.m.
Those are pretty good hours, one extra hour on Friday & Saturday would make a world of difference in increasing the demand between Channelside & Ybor. Is there a demand for that route or is it a pipe dream to think of people in Tampa using those things as anything other than scenery/novelty??

I'm no hardcore drinker but if I'm going to go out, there is no driving so when I do go out in Orlando I waste lots of money on taxi fares. It's worth it but I'm praying that when SunRail opens that people find a way to use it if they live in the suburbs and wish to go out in downtown Orlando. Somebody who lives in Lake Mary or Altamonte Springs could effectively go out and return home safely as long as they lived walking distance to their station or at least close enough so that it would only be a $5 or less cab ride.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
So how many international flights does Tampa have at their airport? You can literally fly to Ireland, England, Germany, France, and Canada direct from Orlando
International Flights for TPA according to Wikipedia:
-West Jet: Ottawa (seasonal)
-Air Canada: Halifax (seasonal), Montreal (seasonal), & Toronto.
-American: San Juan
-British Airways: London-Gatwick
-Cayman Air: Gran Caymen

Oh and I think you can even fly to Miami which is like flying internationally for some. So yeah TPA doesn't have as many options and certainly not the domestic service that Orlando has (actually no market beats Orlando in that catagory), however international service in Florida is owned by MIA with Orlando running a somewhat distant second. TPA is not bad, by any stretch though.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,748,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I just wanted to point out what a great & civil rivalry the "War on I-4" has been, very opposite of most CD threads. Go look at any other same state City vs. City thread like Houston vs. Dallas or whatever. The put downs and insults make commenting in favor of your city a dangerous practice. Even though there have been some attacks in this thread on civic matters like skyline, metro, etc., there haven't been many personal attacks. Maybe we're nicer to each other out of respect for sharing the same crappy interstate. I feel that places like Houston & Dallas are too far apart location, culture, and community wise to share such common ground. You'll never hear somebody from Texas refer to the super region of "Hou-allas" or "Dal-ston," they just don't exist. Even in the northeast corridor where the cities have formed a megalopolis, there is much mud slinging, name calling, and outright hatred between places like Boston & NYC. Maybe it's because we don't have any major sports rivalry. Orlando has the NBA & Tampa has the other three, MLB, NFL, & NHL. Yes, having only one pro sports team is a major shortcoming for Orlando, however I'm glad that we have the NBA which is my favorite.

So let the good times roll for now. One day Orlando will pick up another major sports franchise and the warm & fuzzies might fade somewhat. Until then we can pretend to dislike each other and watch some arena football, Go Preds!!
Go Storm

Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,748,594 times
Quote:
Those are pretty good hours, one extra hour on Friday & Saturday would make a world of difference in increasing the demand between Channelside & Ybor. Is there a demand for that route or is it a pipe dream to think of people in Tampa using those things as anything other than scenery/novelty??

I'm no hardcore drinker but if I'm going to go out, there is no driving so when I do go out in Orlando I waste lots of money on taxi fares. It's worth it but I'm praying that when SunRail opens that people find a way to use it if they live in the suburbs and wish to go out in downtown Orlando. Somebody who lives in Lake Mary or Altamonte Springs could effectively go out and return home safely as long as they lived walking distance to their station or at least close enough so that it would only be a $5 or less cab ride.
I know there are a few people who use that route, but no high demand. I would think if you can afford to live in channelside, you probably would not want to go to Ybor as much as the more upscale Channelside bars and restuarants anyway. Thats all easy walking distance. I also can't wait for Tampa's light rail. Im thankful for Mayor Iorio. She is really getting the city serious about mass transit.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I know there are a few people who use that route, but no high demand. I would think if you can afford to live in channelside, you probably would not want to go to Ybor as much as the more upscale Channelside bars and restuarants anyway. Thats all easy walking distance. I also can't wait for Tampa's light rail. Im thankful for Mayor Iorio. She is really getting the city serious about mass transit.
Same with Mayor Dyer here, he's been pushing SunRail, the new arena, new performing arts center, and Citrus Bowl renovations forever.

I guess my logic about the streetcars was that if I actually could afford to live in Channelside, I'd want to go to Ybor where it's cheaper instead of the upscale bars nearby since I'd have no money left after paying for my condo. Perspective is everything.

Does she plan on connecting TPA with downtown, or even Tampa to St. Pete & the beaches, because that would be a good investment that would cater to both your business & leisure markets. Although she needs some cooperation with Hillsborough & Pinellas officials to make it happen I suppose.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:33 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,862 times
Speaking of street cars, is Lynx going to expand their service with a rail system costing the city $75 Million they dont have?

Old 06-12-2010, 10:49 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,057,553 times
Sorry wasn't around yesterday had to go to Ft. Pierce/Port St. Lucie,

Cultural Relevance: Orlando and Disney wins. Disney is a cultural icon. Hate on it or Orlando all you want but realize this Disney owns Marvel, ESPN, and ABC among about 100 other things. So hating on Disney is hating on ESPN as well. Good job. Speaking of which Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports brings in the best amateur sporting events in the Nation.

Someone said our convention center is behind Chicago, no its ahead of Chicago. The only city our convention center is small than is Los Angeles. (I'm talking size I've got no clue on actual # of conventions or # of visitors for conventions) and thats just Orange County Convention Center. You then have major convention centers in a number of the resorts like the Gaylord Palms Hotel and Convention Center.

As for does Orlando have any Historical Landmark Areas?
Eatonville was one of the first black cities.
Seminole High School is one of the oldest schools in the state opening in 1902. The original building is an historic landmark and museum.
Rollins College was established in 1885, University of Tampa wasn't established until 1931.

And Superbowl - wow, congrats, don't forget though that in '94 Orlando was a venue for the World Cup. An event that makes the Superbowl look like a high school football game. And thus far its been the top attended sporting event of all time at 3.6 million attendees with hundreds of millions more watching around the world. Obviously Orlando was only one of the venues but I don't think its quite fair to dismiss that.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Sorry wasn't around yesterday had to go to Ft. Pierce/Port St. Lucie,

Cultural Relevance: Orlando and Disney wins. Disney is a cultural icon. Hate on it or Orlando all you want but realize this Disney owns Marvel, ESPN, and ABC among about 100 other things. So hating on Disney is hating on ESPN as well. Good job. Speaking of which Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports brings in the best amateur sporting events in the Nation.

Someone said our convention center is behind Chicago, no its ahead of Chicago. The only city our convention center is small than is Los Angeles. (I'm talking size I've got no clue on actual # of conventions or # of visitors for conventions) and thats just Orange County Convention Center. You then have major convention centers in a number of the resorts like the Gaylord Palms Hotel and Convention Center.

As for does Orlando have any Historical Landmark Areas?
Eatonville was one of the first black cities.
Seminole High School is one of the oldest schools in the state opening in 1902. The original building is an historic landmark and museum.
Rollins College was established in 1885, University of Tampa wasn't established until 1931.

And Superbowl - wow, congrats, don't forget though that in '94 Orlando was a venue for the World Cup. An event that makes the Superbowl look like a high school football game. And thus far its been the top attended sporting event of all time at 3.6 million attendees with hundreds of millions more watching around the world. Obviously Orlando was only one of the venues but I don't think its quite fair to dismiss that.
I agree. In size OCCC is behind Chicago. Terms of overall conventions including the dozens of resort convention centers, yeah we have the most. I worked in the Hotel convention industry (Rosen, Double Tree, Peabody) so I can assure you Orlando does.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I just wanted to point out what a great & civil rivalry the "War on I-4" has been, very opposite of most CD threads. Go look at any other same state City vs. City thread like Houston vs. Dallas or whatever. The put downs and insults make commenting in favor of your city a dangerous practice. Even though there have been some attacks in this thread on civic matters like skyline, metro, etc., there haven't been many personal attacks. Maybe we're nicer to each other out of respect for sharing the same crappy interstate. I feel that places like Houston & Dallas are too far apart location, culture, and community wise to share such common ground. You'll never hear somebody from Texas refer to the super region of "Hou-allas" or "Dal-ston," they just don't exist. Even in the northeast corridor where the cities have formed a megalopolis, there is much mud slinging, name calling, and outright hatred between places like Boston & NYC. Maybe it's because we don't have any major sports rivalry. Orlando has the NBA & Tampa has the other three, MLB, NFL, & NHL. Yes, having only one pro sports team is a major shortcoming for Orlando, however I'm glad that we have the NBA which is my favorite.

So let the good times roll for now. One day Orlando will pick up another major sports franchise and the warm & fuzzies might fade somewhat. Until then we can pretend to dislike each other and watch some arena football, Go Preds!!

Ha ha I was just thinking about that. I believe people from Florida as a whole are like that. People are set out to make Florida look like a bad state and most certainly cities like Orlando seem so horrid, in reality after Jacksonville I think Tampa and Orlando are some of the friendliest metros in the state. No need to get personal, sure may disagree about the skyline or transportation, but thats reality. Cities are so eerily similar it gives off an exciting vibe. I love both cities. I love the Pred-Storm Rivalry and whenever we get out next profession franchise there will be even more rivalries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City