Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Orlando 75 39.27%
Tampa 116 60.73%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:10 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,688,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Sorry wasn't around yesterday had to go to Ft. Pierce/Port St. Lucie,

Cultural Relevance: Orlando and Disney wins. Disney is a cultural icon. Hate on it or Orlando all you want but realize this Disney owns Marvel, ESPN, and ABC among about 100 other things. So hating on Disney is hating on ESPN as well. Good job. Speaking of which Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports brings in the best amateur sporting events in the Nation.

Someone said our convention center is behind Chicago, no its ahead of Chicago. The only city our convention center is small than is Los Angeles. (I'm talking size I've got no clue on actual # of conventions or # of visitors for conventions) and thats just Orange County Convention Center. You then have major convention centers in a number of the resorts like the Gaylord Palms Hotel and Convention Center.

As for does Orlando have any Historical Landmark Areas?
Eatonville was one of the first black cities.
Seminole High School is one of the oldest schools in the state opening in 1902. The original building is an historic landmark and museum.
Rollins College was established in 1885, University of Tampa wasn't established until 1931.

And Superbowl - wow, congrats, don't forget though that in '94 Orlando was a venue for the World Cup. An event that makes the Superbowl look like a high school football game. And thus far its been the top attended sporting event of all time at 3.6 million attendees with hundreds of millions more watching around the world. Obviously Orlando was only one of the venues but I don't think its quite fair to dismiss that.
great post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 04:19 PM

138 posts, read 214,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I hate when people say that. Who cares about the what ifs. We are talking about what IS, not what could have been. Yes Disney helped Orlando become what it is today, but Orlando was a growing city of almost 100,000 people before Disney came. thats just the city limits not the metro. Orlando has grown to be much more than Disney. The city had 48 million visitors last year, Magic kingdom had 17 million visitors. Orlando has diversified its economy over the years and its still diversifying. Its not just Disney.
The Magic Kingdom is one small part of Disney. So, here are the points made for Orlando so far. We've come to the conclusion that Tampa is more historic. Orlando's airport is better because it has more international flights, even though Tampa International was named one of the top five in the nation. Orlando is more culturally relevant because its convention center happens to be larger. (don't know what size has to do with anything) Orlando is better because of the tourism. No surprise there, its only home to Disney. Not only that, just look at the scoreboard. Tampa is destroying Orlando in number of votes.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:29 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Someone said our convention center is behind Chicago, no its ahead of Chicago. The only city our convention center is small than is Los Angeles. (I'm talking size I've got no clue on actual # of conventions or # of visitors for conventions) and thats just Orange County Convention Center.
Are you sure about that? I've heard that McCormick Place in Chicago is the biggest, and in fact, there's one conference I know of that gets 80K+ in attendance annually that can only have it in Chicago because McCormick is the only place big enough to host it.

edit: actually, McCormick is the biggest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCormick_Place

Old 06-12-2010, 04:30 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33nthe813 View Post
Tampa is destroying Orlando in number of votes.
Tampa is the bigger city so it could have more people voting here :P

Old 06-12-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Are you sure about that? I've heard that McCormick Place in Chicago is the biggest, and in fact, there's one conference I know of that gets 80K+ in attendance annually that can only have it in Chicago because McCormick is the only place big enough to host it.

edit: actually, McCormick is the biggest: McCormick Place - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Your right. Like I said Chicago has the largest, Orlando has the 2nd largest.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:46 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
Yeah not sure why I thought it was LA then Orlando, its Chicago and then Orlando.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The Magic Kingdom is one small part of Disney. So, here are the points made for Orlando so far. We've come to the conclusion that Tampa is more historic. Orlando's airport is better because it has more international flights, even though Tampa International was named one of the top five in the nation. Orlando is more culturally relevant because its convention center happens to be larger. (don't know what size has to do with anything) Orlando is better because of the tourism. No surprise there, its only home to Disney. Not only that, just look at the scoreboard. Tampa is destroying Orlando in number of votes.
Its obvious that your being biased. If you read this thread for what it is and not what you want it to be you will know why Orlando is better than Tampa in certain categories. There both good cities and they both have pros and cons. I personally prefer Orlando because I like its pros more than I like Tampa's pros. You obviously like Tampa better, thats great.

The polls are always skewed on here because 90% of the people on city data are very ignorant and vote based on stereotypes and what they think they know. A lot of the people just vote because they see the poll, and pick an option without even giving it much thought. If everyone who voted were familiar with both cities, and/or thoroughly analyzed both cities, I could guarantee you that the poll results would look a lot different.

Anyways, I pick Orlando because overall I feel its a better city. I like our neighbor Tampa too, and I'm glad its only an hour away on I-4 so I can enjoy the pros Tampa has that Orlando doesn't when ever I get the chance.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:49 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Top convention cities: Convention Centers - Top 25 Sites and "Second-Tier" Convention Cities

Old 06-12-2010, 04:59 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
Quote:
Oh here have some points:
The Florida Film Festival started and is still primarily located in Orlando. It is one of the Nation's top Film Festivals.
UCF is better than USF in nearly every ranking (not that either is great)
UCF is one of the largest universities by enrollment I believe #3 so thats something.
Rollins is better than UTampa in nearly ever ranking (not that either is great)
Rollins is consistently ranked one of the top party schools though, so I guess thats something.
The Orlando Fringe Festival is one of the oldest and largest fringe festivals in the world.
Tampa was inhabited first but became a city after Orlando.
Orlando convention center is significantly bigger.
Tampa Aquarium is great
Orlando has Seaworld though.
Tampa has more sports
Orlando has more amateur sports
Tampa has higher population
Orlando has 2 Fortune 500 Companies
Tampa has 2 Fortune 500 Companies
(Orlampa aka Lakeland has 1)
Of those Fortune 500 Companies though:
- Orlando is ranked 49 and 311
- Tampa is ranked 199 and 328
(Orlampa is ranked 99)

The top Fortune 500 company in Florida is in Orlando and is worth 43,604.4 million while Tampa fortune 500 combined are 11,684.5 + 6,878.2 = 18,562.7 (these numbers are in the millions). So Orlando obviously wins the business side.

Tampa has the gulf coast (sadly in bad condition)
Orlando has unaffected natural springs

Old 06-12-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Oh here have some points:
The Florida Film Festival started and is still primarily located in Orlando. It is one of the Nation's top Film Festivals.
UCF is better than USF in nearly every ranking (not that either is great)
UCF is one of the largest universities by enrollment I believe #3 so thats something.
Rollins is better than UTampa in nearly ever ranking (not that either is great)
Rollins is consistently ranked one of the top party schools though, so I guess thats something.
The Orlando Fringe Festival is one of the oldest and largest fringe festivals in the world.
Tampa was inhabited first but became a city after Orlando.
Orlando convention center is significantly bigger.
Tampa Aquarium is great
Orlando has Seaworld though.
Tampa has more sports
Orlando has more amateur sports
Tampa has higher population
Orlando has 2 Fortune 500 Companies
Tampa has 2 Fortune 500 Companies
(Orlampa aka Lakeland has 1)
Of those Fortune 500 Companies though:
- Orlando is ranked 49 and 311
- Tampa is ranked 199 and 328
(Orlampa is ranked 99)

The top Fortune 500 company in Florida is in Orlando and is worth 43,604.4 million while Tampa fortune 500 combined are 11,684.5 + 6,878.2 = 18,562.7 (these numbers are in the millions). So Orlando obviously wins the business side.

Tampa has the gulf coast (sadly in bad condition)
Orlando has unaffected natural springs
Orlando is also to host the NBA All Star game 2012. A week long festival that people from all around the world watch. It will be in the brand new Amway Center that is opening this fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City