Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas 77 43.26%
Philadelphia 101 56.74%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,722,624 times

Advertisements

Of course your going to grow fast with cheap land and almost entirely suburban developement.

Did I mention Dallas has trailer parks within its city limits, you would have to go at least 20 miles north of Philly to find any trailers located in the rural regions of bucks and montco.

In Dallas you can damn near stick a flag in the ground and its yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 04:16 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Look at the poll results. It's now 32-17
The poll does not matter, the only real reason I ever include poll is because I have experimented with threads in the past, the ones without a "poll" are generally less successful in attracting conversation. Something about that poll really gets people interested.

I made it a public poll, as I do with all my threads now, looks at who voted for what. You'll see a regional split there, everyone south of the Mason Dixon and West of the Mississippi River went for Dallas, and everyone from Midwest and Northeast went for Philadelphia. (There are a few people who are exceptions, but only small exceptions) Those numbers don't matter, it doesn't make Dallas any less important than Philadelphia. People here tend to be heavily biased.

What does that tell you? People generally prefer the cities of their region above others, or cities that are most similar to theirs. Or cities they generally have a disliking for, etc... there can be multiple reasons.

In a very unbiased way, Dallas = Philadelphia. Just like how Houston = Boston, Los Angeles = Chicago, etc... there is never a right or wrong answer. It's what you like and what you don't.

Take me for example, as much as I defend Chicago, it's not my favorite city;

1. Tucson
2. Seattle
3. San Diego

I keep an open mind, and I like every city in the country (maybe besides El Paso- because Ciudad Juarez across the border gives me concerns).

There's something beautiful about every place.

1. People living in a city will always want to live there, their heart is there.
2. People are indifferent about a city, some people just think of it temporarily because they move often.
3. People living in a city hate it because it's not to their customized liking.

^ That sums up the three kind of residents you have in a city.

These poll results are entirely fake, like LAnative said, it's only in CD. In real life people will go with what they like. Here it's always a contest, "I'm going to go with my CD peers" or "it's in the south, let me vote against it" or "it's in the west, I hate their lifestyle-hippies" or "people in the northeast are rude let me make sure to vote against it". Those are the scenarios here on CD.

Now as for shopping, I really should specify on what I mean. I'm not talking about which one has the best shopping, I'm Indian, I like to save every dollar! LOL. What I mean is which city is more efficient for a shopper, how far do I have to travel for certain things? Are there any unique stores? (electronic stores, clothes, kitchen utensils, etc..) and how comfortable is the environment to shop at? (I don't want to end up in some ghetto just to get one thing!) I'm just kind of hoping people can point out how often you see stores in each city (far apart, miles of driving, or close, and what districts?), not which one is better. I could care less, I'm not a fashion craze, more into tech. Lol.

Last edited by DANNYY; 06-03-2010 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 04:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Dallas is developing density - google Forward Dallas and DART rail (largest light rail expansion in the world).

Old 06-03-2010, 04:36 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,722,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The poll does not matter, the only real reason I ever include poll is because I have experimented with threads in the past, the ones without a "poll" are generally less successful in attracting conversation. Something about that poll really gets people interested.

I made it a public poll, as I do with all my threads now, looks at who voted for what. You'll see a regional split there, everyone south of the Mason Dixon and West of the Mississippi River went for Dallas, and everyone from Midwest and Northeast went for Philadelphia. (There are a few people who are exceptions, but only small exceptions)

What does that tell you? People generally prefer the cities of their region above others, or cities that are most similar to theirs. Or cities they generally have a disliking for, etc... there can be multiple reasons.

In a very unbiased way, Dallas = Philadelphia. Just like how Houston = Boston, Los Angeles = Chicago, etc... there is never a right or wrong answer. It's what you like and what you don't.

Take me for example, as much as I defend Chicago, it's not my favorite city;

1. Tucson
2. Seattle
3. San Diego

I keep an open mind, and I like every city in the country (maybe besides El Paso- because Ciudad Juarez across the border gives me concerns).

There's something beautiful about every place.

1. People living in a city will always want to live there, their heart is there.
2. People are indifferent about a city, some people just think of it temporarily because they move often.
3. People living in a city hate it because it's not to their customized liking.

These poll results are entirely fake, like LAnative said, it's only in CD. In real life people will go with what they like. Here it's always a contest, "I'm going to go with my CD peers" or "it's in the south, let me vote against it" or "it's in the west, I hate their lifestyle-hippies" or "people in the northeast are rude let me make sure to vote against it". Those are the scenarios here on CD.

Now as for shopping, I really should specify on what I mean. I'm not talking about which one has the best shopping, I'm Indian, I like to save every dollar! LOL. What I mean is which city is more efficient for a shopper, how far do I have to travel for certain things? Are there any unique stores? (electronic stores, clothes, kitchen utensils, etc..) and how comfortable is the environment to shop at? (I don't want to end up in some ghetto just to get one thing!) I'm just kind of hoping people can point out how often you see stores in each city (far apart, miles of driving, or close, and what districts?), not which one is better. I could care less, I'm not a fashion craze, more into tech. Lol.
Philly by far.

In the city everything you need is pretty much always within walking distance and in a walkable environment. Even Philly's inner-suburbs are more walkable than alot of Dallas proper, because they were once streetcar suburbs and are usually centered on old small(usually 1 sq. mile or less) densley packed boroughs(which in many cases acts like the downtown or CBD of the surrounding townships).

We do have classic mall suburbs like King of Prussia, and Oxford Valley, if thats what you like, but they're is a healthy mix of traditional mainstreet boroughs and massive parking lot malls.

DFW probably has more big malls, but it comes down to a matter of the individuals shopping environment prefrence to wether they would perfer Philly or Dallas for shopping.

And nothing outside of Manhatten and downtown Chicago compares to Center City Philly

Last edited by killakoolaide; 06-03-2010 at 04:48 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The score right now: Eagles 31, Cowboys 17.
20-16, 24-0, 34-14.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,018 times
I can't believe Dallas is getting murderd in this poll, but in real life it will never happen.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:18 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I can't believe Dallas is getting murderd in this poll, but in real life it will never happen.
CD polls mean nothing, it's best to put feelings aside when looking at polls on CD because often at times, they are heavily biased opinions.

Dallas is a great city, no matter what the poll says.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Of course your going to grow fast with cheap land and almost entirely suburban developement.

Did I mention Dallas has trailer parks within its city limits, you would have to go at least 20 miles north of Philly to find any trailers located in the rural regions of bucks and montco.

In Dallas you can damn near stick a flag in the ground and its yours.
Dallas has 385 sq mi of land of course you are going to see tralier parks in rural Southern Dallas County!

I am sure you won't find rural land in Philadelphia, they only have 135 sq mi how can the city grow?

Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
CD polls mean nothing, it's best to put feelings aside when looking at polls on CD because often at times, they are heavily biased opinions.

Dallas is a great city, no matter what the poll says.
Yea, you are right!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:46 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
not voting because i've never been to Dallas

it would be unfair to vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City