Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas 77 43.26%
Philadelphia 101 56.74%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:43 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times

Advertisements

Philly's beginning to run away with it

Why do some people continue to compare Philly to cities that can't compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Philly's beginning to run away with it

Why do some people continue to compare Philly to cities that can't compare.
Only on CD. In reality, its a different story.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:48 AM

Do I need to start some new comparisons?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:51 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Not to rain on Philly's parade, but overall I think people like the idea of the classical city more than the reality of it. If that were not the case, DFW, Houston, Atlanta, and Phoenix (or even Los Angeles) would not have had many times the growth rate of the Northeastern cities in recent times.

Being able to walk everywhere, have good public transit, and be dense are things that people love the idea of. However, a good portion of those people dont like the reality of it. Lots of people like space, a cheap cost of living, and to be able to have a home in a warm climate. Recently, more people seem to like that in reality.

I dont want to knock Philly. I love visiting the place and its a great city. I agree fully that comparing these cities is like comparing fine French cuisine with a plate of succulent BBQ. Both are great, but some have a preference for one or the other. It doesnt make the other person wrong.
damn, why does dallas have to be the plate of sticky meat? lol.

no, but seriously, i also like philadelphia. especially the music. i love patti labelle, jill scott, musiq soulchild, and kindred the family soul .

it's a shame that in many of these texas city vs. other city threads, the texans can always show love, but the other city can never show love back...hateful people, man

Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

no, but seriously, i also like philadelphia. especially the music. i love patti labelle, jill scott, musiq soulchild, and kindred the family soul .

it's a shame that in many of these texas city vs. other city threads, the texans can always show love, but the other city can never show love back...hateful people, man
I'm sure Dallas is a fine place, its just too different to compare, like everyone's been saying for the past couple pages

Old 06-03-2010, 08:56 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
- Life style I personally prefer the urban lifestyle which Philadelphia is able to provide. Dallas' city layout just isn't appealing to my personal tastes.
- Economy overall I'd give the edge to Dallas, though Philly is no slouch.
- Education Philadelphia by a ridiculous margin. Are there any universities in Dallas that are of any note?
- Metropolitan Area population (which one is larger by population) I guess you'd have to say Dallas...but it also encompasses twice as much land area as Philadelphia.
- City Area population (what's the city's population, which is larger) Philadelphia is a bit larger than Dallas population-wise and takes up roughly 37% as much land area.
- Professional Sports (And their venues!) Philadelphia has better teams/fans...aside from the new Texas Stadium, they've got the better venues too.
- City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings) Philadelphia has a much better, more interesting downtown with a much better skyline and considerably more notable buildings.
- Public Transportation Landslide to Philadelphia
- Major Interstates and other roads Dallas
- Airport Dallas
- Housing Philadelphia by far. Give me a row house over a plastic McMansion every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
- Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..) As it was mentioned before in this thread, it's totally subjective. I think I would personally prefer the Italian-style foods in Philadelphia, but I can totally understand why others would prefer Southern food/TexMex/etc.
- Proximity to other locations Philadelphia by far.
- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate) Dallas by far
- Art galleries I have no clue..
- Music scene I have no clue..
- Museums Philadelphia, though I've heard Dallas is building some cool museums. Not sure if that will make a difference though.
- Parks Philadelphia
- Shopping I have no clue...I've heard a lot of Dallasites saying they've got more options, but haven't shown any proof. The only thing I've heard is: "Philadelphia doesn't even have Valentino!" which is a ridiculously expensive brand. How about overall shopping, not just for the super rich? I also heard someone claim that Dallas has more clothes designers than Philadelphia...how about showing some proof? Odds are you have no clue how many designers Dallas has, let alone Philadelphia...
- Climate (which you prefer, and why?) I've heard Dallas can be absurdly hot. Philadelphia gets chilly, but I already live in a colder place, so I prefer Philly's climate.
- Notable companies headquartered here Tie...Dallas seems to have a lot of retail company headquarters, Philly has tons of Pharma HQs.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I'm sure Dallas is a fine place, its just too different to compare, like everyone's been saying for the past couple pages
that has absolutely nothing to do with the comments made about it.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
- Life style I personally prefer the urban lifestyle which Philadelphia is able to provide. Dallas' city layout just isn't appealing to my personal tastes.
- Economy overall I'd give the edge to Dallas, though Philly is no slouch.
- Education Philadelphia by a ridiculous margin. Are there any universities in Dallas that are of any note?
- Metropolitan Area population (which one is larger by population) I guess you'd have to say Dallas...but it also encompasses twice as much land area as Philadelphia.
- City Area population (what's the city's population, which is larger) Philadelphia is a bit larger than Dallas population-wise and takes up roughly 37% as much land area.
- Professional Sports (And their venues!) Philadelphia has better teams/fans...aside from the new Texas Stadium, they've got the better venues too.
- City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings) Philadelphia has a much better, more interesting downtown with a much better skyline and considerably more notable buildings.
- Public Transportation Landslide to Philadelphia
- Major Interstates and other roads Dallas
- Airport Dallas
- Housing Philadelphia by far. Give me a row house over a plastic McMansion every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
- Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..) As it was mentioned before in this thread, it's totally subjective. I think I would personally prefer the Italian-style foods in Philadelphia, but I can totally understand why others would prefer Southern food/TexMex/etc.
- Proximity to other locations Philadelphia by far.
- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate) Dallas by far
- Art galleries I have no clue..
- Music scene I have no clue..
- Museums Philadelphia, though I've heard Dallas is building some cool museums. Not sure if that will make a difference though.
- Parks Philadelphia
- Shopping I have no clue...I've heard a lot of Dallasites saying they've got more options, but haven't shown any proof. The only thing I've heard is: "Philadelphia doesn't even have Valentino!" which is a ridiculously expensive brand. How about overall shopping, not just for the super rich? I also heard someone claim that Dallas has more clothes designers than Philadelphia...how about showing some proof? Odds are you have no clue how many designers Dallas has, let alone Philadelphia...
- Climate (which you prefer, and why?) I've heard Dallas can be absurdly hot. Philadelphia gets chilly, but I already live in a colder place, so I prefer Philly's climate.
- Notable companies headquartered here Tie...Dallas seems to have a lot of retail company headquarters, Philly has tons of Pharma HQs.
what is with you people and these "mcmansion" comments? assuming that every or even most texans/southerners live in this type of house is just as ridiculous as me saying everybody in the northeast lives in a sardine-can apartment infested with rats and roaches. seriously. educate yourself

and FYI, i said dallas has more high end clothing designers than philadelphia. and that is fact, thank you very much

Old 06-03-2010, 09:09 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Dallas and Philly are too different to compare.

If you like a city in the classical sense of the word then you like Philly.

If you like the new suburban city/metroplex model then Dallas is for you.

According to the poll, twice as many on CD perfer the more classical style.
Yeah you're right about this forum. But in reality, as in metro population, America likes Dallas.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:09 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

I like Dallas - have had some fun times there (I just don't like the Cowboys)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City