Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
BTW, the last time I was in Cleveland (2007) the downtown area did look very "post-apocalyptic".
btw, 2012-2013 Downtown Cleveland is very different than 2007 Downtown Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
All I do is mention facts about Chicago and it is bashing.
But why did you mention such "facts" here? That's what I still don't get.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
@andrew61

For living in a city that's so awesome and safe and world-class, you sure spend a lot of time talking trash about "inferior" cities on the internet...

Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
@andrew61

For living in a city that's so awesome and safe and world-class, you sure spend a lot of time talking trash about "inferior" cities on the internet...
When did I use the word "inferior"?

There was someone on the Chicago forum yesterday contemplating a move from Chicago to Cincinnati, and he said something about "inferior" cities, to which I replied, " 'Inferior' is subjective."

That's the only time I can recall having used that word here.

Actually, I don't spend very much time on these City-Data forums at all. Sometimes I go days or weeks without saying anything.

It's taken me more than five years to amass 1,608 posts (and that's everywhere on City-Data). That averages out to less than a post a day.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:00 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:
But why did you mention such "facts" here? That's what I still don't get.
In reference to the low real estate prices in Cleveland, you stated it was all about demand and Cleveland being overbuilt. I pointed out that the city you live in now, Chicago, is in a low demand rut with a 35%+ price crash and is severely overbuilt.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:05 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:
Known for its murder? Because of the stupid misconceptions the media fosters?

Look at the following chart:

United States cities by crime rate

Note that Chicago's murder rate (per 100,000 population) is 15.2. Now note that Atlanta's is 17.3, Pittsburgh's is 17.6, Cleveland's is 19.0, Cincinnati's is 20.5, Buffalo's is 20.7, Kansas City's is 21.1, Washington DC's is 21.9, Detroit's is 34.5, Baltimore's is 34.8, and New Orleans' is a whopping 49.1.

So why should Chicago be "known for its murder"? Could it possibly be that the media have it in for Chicago? Why their silence on all these other cities that have even higher murder rates -- in some cases more than double than Chicago's?

Don't believe everything you hear or read in the news. Learn to do your own investigations and properly analyze things.

Oh, and it's not "far more spread out than Cleveland". Most of Chicago's violent crime occurs in a very small portion of the city relative to the whole. The vast majority of Chicago area-wise is about as safe as any urban area can be.

Philadelphia?! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Better contact the GaWC and tell them to downgrade Chicago from its Alpha+ rating. And all the other organizations that rank Chicago in the top ten worldwide in global economic influence. Tell them all that their methodology is obviously wrong, and that they should've contacted you first for your input.
See, there's that constant reminding about Chicago being in this and that rank; if it is so great, shouldn't we already know about its ranking as the best, biggest and brightest.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
In reference to the low real estate prices in Cleveland, you stated it was all about demand and Cleveland being overbuilt. I pointed out that the city you live in now, Chicago, is in a low demand rut with a 35%+ price crash and is severely overbuilt.
The difference is that when Chicago gets overbuilt (the last time it happened was the early 1990s, also a recessionary period) it's typically a very temporary condition, and within several years or so, the excess real estate inventory gets absorbed and supply/demand levels rebalance back to normal again. And then prices rebound and reach new highs again. Which is healthy.

I don't see that same dynamic happening in Cleveland. It's not just that housing prices are low there -- they stay low. Price appreciation from one decade to the next lags well behind the overall inflation rate. Which means that, in real terms, Cleveland homeowners actually lose money on their residential real estate over long periods of time. Not just temporarily.

An extreme case of this is the Gold Coast condos in Lakewood. Perfectly nice area even today -- one of greater Cleveland's most fabulously urban areas -- yet condo prices in most of those highrises are no higher than they were 20 years ago, and are probably lower than they were 30 years ago. I'm amazed at what you can pick up there for peanuts. Sure, low prices are attractive at the time you're buying, but what happens when you own a place for decades and prices have barely budged -- and meanwhile you've had to sink money into maintenance, taxes, etc.?

In parts of Chicago like Lakeview, in contrast, houses which sold for less than $20K in the 1970s are now worth $1 million or more. Meaning that a person who bought cheap back then and stayed in the home for decades can now cash out and retire on the money!

Where in Cleveland is that the case?

Old 09-19-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
See, there's that constant reminding about Chicago being in this and that rank; if it is so great, shouldn't we already know about its ranking as the best, biggest and brightest.
Ah, now I see the rules of the game here. Someone says that "Chicago is known for its murder", and I'm just supposed to keep silent and not challenge that -- even though the murder rate in quite a few American cities is higher than Chicago, and in some cases more than twice as high. Even though I can prove that, I'm supposed to say nothing. Gotcha.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:33 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
What they should say is that the west and south sides of Chicago are well known for its murders. I also did read that Chicago's murder rate tops that of all Alpha world cities so far this year (Mexico City and Sao Paulo included). It's a problem that shouldn't be downplayed nor compared to that of cities 1/5 its size. Among the top 10 US cities in population, Chicago was #2 on the list for 2011.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:25 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
When did I use the word "inferior"?

There was someone on the Chicago forum yesterday contemplating a move from Chicago to Cincinnati, and he said something about "inferior" cities, to which I replied, " 'Inferior' is subjective."

That's the only time I can recall having used that word here.

Actually, I don't spend very much time on these City-Data forums at all. Sometimes I go days or weeks without saying anything.

It's taken me more than five years to amass 1,608 posts (and that's everywhere on City-Data). That averages out to less than a post a day.
Oh stop. What was the name of the girl from Cleveland who dumped you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland