Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 01:30 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Oooooh, I wish I hadn't read that (although I'm sure I did in 1970!). I didn't need to know of the existence of sludge worms wriggling under the sand as I splash around in the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,948,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Pretty sure it was. God save the internet, here is that original article that sparked it all. Pun intended.

America's Sewage System and the Price of Optimism - TIME
Obviously, this story caught the nation's attention and did, in fact, help spur the Clean Water Act. The story cited from Time 8/1/69 was not a cover story; thank God for that. Nonetheless, Cleveland is still trying to live-down the fact that the river ''caught'' fire; again, people act as if this just happened.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,181,084 times
It wasn't a cover story because it was, unfortunately, quite common around the US -- a point that is also commonly neglected.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,324,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Now, can we get back to the topic at hand ... Wonderful, sophisticated, rebounding and affordable CLEVELAND!
That's certainly one stereotype I hear all the time about Cleveland: that it is "affordable".

I just found something that might shed new light on that particular notion.

I think we sometimes forget that in order to assess "affordability", one has to take into account not only cost of living, but typical income levels as well.

For example, if the cost of living in City A is twice as high as in City B, but you can make three times the money in City A over City B, then City A is more affordable in real terms, because the dollars you do make stretch further.

Now take a look at the following list. The higher up on the list a city is, the further a typical paycheck stretches there. Look at the cities that outrank Cleveland on the list. You're bound to find a few surprises there.

The Cities Where A Paycheck Stretches The Furthest

Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 AM

4 posts, read 13,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
That's certainly one stereotype I hear all the time about Cleveland: that it is "affordable".

I think we sometimes forget that in order to assess "affordability", one has to take into account not only cost of living, but typical income levels as well.

For example, if the cost of living in City A is twice as high as in City B, but you can make three times the money in City A over City B, then City A is more affordable in real terms, because the dollars you do make stretch further.

Now take a look at the following list. The higher up on the list a city is, the further a typical paycheck stretches there. Look at the cities that outrank Cleveland on the list. You're bound to find a few surprises there.

Not a lot of meaning to that ranking, or any like it. Cleveland is a very poor city overall, but if you're in a few choice industries, you'll do very, very well in Cleveland.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:41 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Well, Andrew's math is correct. That's common sense, no?

If you make $40 in CLE, but $120 in MIA... of course you're going to be doing well. In either place, but better in MIA.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,216,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post

This list seems odd to me. Look at the income for Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Cincy; they all about the same and these cities also have roughly the same cost of living. So why does Cleveland rate so much lower on that list than the other two cities (which are listed ahead of Chicago).

Furthermore, there is just no way the Chicago is easier on the wallet than Cleveland. Chicago might pay a bit more but it does not offset the higher cost of living by any means.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:30 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,662,025 times
Why are you all still hung up on the river fire? By that, I mean trying to downplay it. These days you mightas well embrace it as a part of Cleveland's history and laugh at yourselves, like GLBC has done. Otherwise, you're left open for outsiders to use it against you forever....

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
- Cold, depressing
- Good "bang for the buck" in terms of housing
- A hidden gem that is actually nice - suburbs, quaintness, lakefront
- Brawny, blue collar, and "river on fire"
- Good medical hub - Case Western and The Cleveland Clinic
That about covers it for me, if you add gritty left-wing politicians (Metzenbaum, Kucinich, Sherrod Brown). Gotta take the good with the bad...ask an Oaklander.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:32 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Chicago might pay a bit more but it does not offset the higher cost of living by any means.
Same with Philadelphia. I may be making 20 percent more in salary, but I'm spending twice as much on housing and property taxes.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,662,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
This list seems odd to me. Look at the income for Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Cincy; they all about the same and these cities also have roughly the same cost of living. So why does Cleveland rate so much lower on that list than the other two cities (which are listed ahead of Chicago).
My first guess is probably "skyline" and second is University. Pitt and UC are more well-regarded than anything in Cleveland, which is what many of those publications take into account (education & finance) over artistic institutions (where Cleveland is superior). But overall, it's skyline. Take a look over on the City vs City forum to see how enamoured people are with skylines when comparing cities...something about skyscrapers housed by banks and insurance companies built on top of hills makes obsessive urbanites wet their pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland