Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM

295 posts, read 359,081 times

Advertisements

If you live on the most humble block in East Cleveland and are happy where you're at, you're not settling. If you live in a posh apartment in NYC's upper east side and are not happy there, you're settling. It's as simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 07:26 AM

372 posts, read 466,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
So, people in Chicago don't "settle"? How is settling just a Cleveland thing? So, just because I didn't move to one of the "trendy" cities I'm settling? But, if I DO move to one of the "trendy" cities, I'm trying to make a better life for myself? I thought this was America, where people can make great lives for themselves no matter which city they lived in? There are people in Chicago who are settling for less and not doing well. Just like there are folks in Cleveland doing the same thing. People settle all the time in cities and towns. We settle in jobs, we settle down with a spouse or a life partner. And, just because you moved to another city and do well, it's no guarantee that others will move and do well. Some have done more worst than where they've left. I didn't settle in Cleveland, I chose to stay here. If I wanted to, I could've left a long time ago. I have a pretty good job at the Cleveland Public Library.

Again, you LOVE Chicago, we get it. Don't shove it down our doggone throats. Everybody's not in love with Chicago just like people aren't in love with Cleveland. I like visiting Chicago but I wouldn't want to live there.
Inside the Loop is trendy, but Chicago has about as many problems (if not more) than Detroit.

andrew is your classic troll. I have called him out numerous times and he doesn't respond because he knows I am right. It's always better for certain individuals not to admit it, but they do so when they no longer respond to your posts. I feel honored.

I never understood the "don't feed me the bait" act when he throws himself into the pool. It's not just this thread, but numerous threads here and elsewhere where he talks down on Cleveland. We can not go without hearing "Chicago did this for me, Cleveland failed to do this". Good for you. The evidence says otherwise what this guy tries to pull. The pity me party and feeding you the bait never worked in your favor. Keep mentioning Chicago, and talking down on Cleveland... you're only proving our points.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,324,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
Inside the Loop is trendy, but Chicago has about as many problems (if not more) than Detroit.

andrew is your classic troll. I have called him out numerous times and he doesn't respond because he knows I am right. It's always better for certain individuals not to admit it, but they do so when they no longer respond to your posts. I feel honored.

I never understood the "don't feed me the bait" act when he throws himself into the pool. It's not just this thread, but numerous threads here and elsewhere where he talks down on Cleveland. We can not go without hearing "Chicago did this for me, Cleveland failed to do this". Good for you. The evidence says otherwise what this guy tries to pull. The pity me party and feeding you the bait never worked in your favor. Keep mentioning Chicago, and talking down on Cleveland... you're only proving our points.
I did not respond because the mods made it clear they did not want any more talk of Chicago in this thread... and I don't feel inclined to send other posters private messages here. I have no time for that.

So go ahead and wallow in your gross misconceptions. It's no skin off my nose.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 PM

372 posts, read 466,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I did not respond because the mods made it clear they did not want any more talk of Chicago in this thread... and I don't feel inclined to send other posters private messages here. I have no time for that.

So go ahead and wallow in your gross misconceptions. It's no skin off my nose.
It's not a misconception, it's reality. Get in touch with it.

You mention Chicago all the time. "Chicago this, Chicago that... Cleveland fails at this, Cleveland fails at that". You're the one who brings it up, so you're just leaving the bait out for yourself. For several days in this thread no one mentioned Chicago until you gave one of your life experiences. You don't have time for private messages... that's a cop out. It doesn't take anymore time to send a private message versus you clicking on the Cleveland forum to post, which doesn't seem like it is a problem for you.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:16 PM

688 posts, read 1,118,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
A lot of people say that they hear stereotypes about Cleveland from anywhere and everywhere in the world. Even from the people in Cleveland themselves. So, what stereotypes do you hear about the city? It doesn't matter where it comes from, for example, did you hear it while you were on vacation, somebody from the city, the media (local or national), movies/TV shows or out-of-towners. I'm asking this because I get tired of hearing stuff about the jokes about the river catching on fire over 40 years ago, "The Decision", etc.
Drew Carey told me Cleveland rocks! Does that count for a sterotype?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Drew Carey told me Cleveland rocks! Does that count for a sterotype?
IMHO Drew Carey is a Cleveland stereotype.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 AM

16 posts, read 33,221 times
Quote:

I see what you are saying here

Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Quote:
Almost agree. He's more of a Parma stereotype. lol

Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yes. He and his buds on the show are your quintessential West Side Working-Class Beer-and-Bowling-Alley culture (not that there's anything wrong with that).

They're more Yuffies ("Young Urban Failures") than Yuppies.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:27 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,181,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Maybe from 30-40 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland