Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 09:15 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,948,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post

How about awesome shopping, awesome dining, the best theater scene in the US outside NYC (Steppenwolf, etc.)... the largest gay nightlife district in the Midwest (and the first in the US to be "officially" recognized by the city)... Little India... Koreatown... the only five-star Thai restaurant in the entire US... the world's best lakefront park system... one of the world's top three skylines... the only big city in the US that has a beach right next to its downtown area... oh, and Wrigley Field, one of only two historic neighborhood ballparks left in the nation... the list goes on and on...
You forgot to mention Navy Pier; other than that, everything else can be found in any other city. Who cares about the only 5 star Thai restaurant....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 PM

11,067 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Who cares about the only 5 star Thai restaurant....
Exactly. If Cleveland had the only 5 star Thai restaurant and I brought that up, you Chicago folk would say the same thing. And rightly so. Really, nobody cares.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I have a dry/sarcastic sense of humor. My bad.
That doesn't go over well in Chicago, trust me.

Last edited by Kamms; 11-24-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,324,206 times
Quote:
You forgot to mention Navy Pier; other than that, everything else can be found in any other city. Who cares about the only 5 star Thai restaurant....
Navy Pier, IMHO, is a tourist trap. I don't at all consider it one of the "great" things about Chicago. That's why I didn't mention it.

For the same reason, I didn't mention Millennium Park or a number of other "attractions".

Everything else can be found in any other city? Where's Cleveland's Little India district? Where's Cleveland's version of the Magnificent Mile? Where's Cleveland's historic neighborhood ballpark?

Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Cleveland is not Chicago.
Thank god. I like Chicago. A lot. But I wouldn't live there.

We have plenty of Indian restaurant, but no not all in one place.
We have more shopping then any region our size SHOULD have.

As for the Chicago theater district, I always hear that Cleveland's is second only to New York. Someone needs to verify this. I've heard ours is the largest. You say Chicago's 'is 2nd best". What does that mean?

And I agree about the 5 Star Thai restaurant... doesn't sound like my kind of place, and I love Thai food. I get some very good Thai at several places that probably wouldn't even get one star. Those are the best in my opinion.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
PlayhouseSquare District
Cleveland's major theater district is PlayhouseSquare, the second largest performing arts center in the country, which draws well over one million visitors annually. The five beautifully restored theatres are home to the opera, ballet, concerts, an impressive Broadway Series and the Great Lakes Theatre Festival.

Second largest performing arts center. Ok. We'll take it.

And our theater scene JUST KEEPS GROWING. It's insane.
Theater Ninjas

Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Navy Pier, IMHO, is a tourist trap. I don't at all consider it one of the "great" things about Chicago. That's why I didn't mention it.

For the same reason, I didn't mention Millennium Park or a number of other "attractions".

Everything else can be found in any other city? Where's Cleveland's Little India district? Where's Cleveland's version of the Magnificent Mile? Where's Cleveland's historic neighborhood ballpark?
Where's Chicago's Little Italy or its version of the West Side Market? Sorry, but The Mag Mile is overrated.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:43 PM

11,067 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Quote:
Where's Chicago's Little Italy or its version of the West Side Market? Sorry, but The Mag Mile is overrated.
The Mag Mile is everything I hate about America.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
As for the Chicago theater district, I always hear that Cleveland's is second only to New York.
Sigh. Here we go again.

Note that I did not refer to Chicago's "theater district". I very carefully referrred to Chicago's "theater scene". Two entirely separate and distinct concepts.

I, for one, could not care less about the size of a city's theater district. I am more interested in the total quality, quantity, and variety of all that is on offer.

Chicago boasts several theater districts, plus lots of smaller theater venues scattered all over the city (the North Side, mostly). Many are nonprofit and therefore able to do very experimental and innovative things, and the true theater buff benefits from this. A lot of what ends up on Broadway in NYC got its start in Chicago. How many people realize this?

Take a look at what Chicago has to offer and then tell me yourself how Cleveland theater stacks up:

Theatre in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
PlayhouseSquare District
Cleveland's major theater district is PlayhouseSquare, the second largest performing arts center in the country, which draws well over one million visitors annually. The five beautifully restored theatres are home to the opera, ballet, concerts, an impressive Broadway Series and the Great Lakes Theatre Festival.

Second largest performing arts center. Ok. We'll take it.

And our theater scene JUST KEEPS GROWING. It's insane.
Theater Ninjas
What does Cleveland have that compares to the Steppenwolf and all the "big name" careers it has launched?

Steppenwolf Theatre Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland