Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 PM

170 posts, read 347,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Italian? It's strange.....I have a lot of Italian relatives (not Italian myself) in Chicago and they act like the more stereotypical Guidos/Guidettes that you might see on Jersey Shore or in a mafia movie (but they're super nice and cool, not punks), and all of them claim to have either known famous mobsters or are direct descendents of famous mobsters (one cousin says his grandfather was Al Capone's bookkeeper). Yet, so far, I have not met ONE Italian American in Cleveland that would even come close to suggesting that there is a more rugged mafia presence here in the city (not that stereotypes are everything, however). Cleveland Italians blend in much better, IMO.
Cleveland and Youngstown have quite an illustrious history as Mob cities. Irish and Italian. Obviously NY, NJ, Chicago are well known for this. But back in the day Cleveland was a certified war zone. My dad was born and raised in East Cleveland and both my sisters were born there. They left there in 1975 two years before I was born because it got so crazy. They've had Mob activity dating back to the early 1900's. There are some VERY good reads on The Cleveland Mafia. They were FAR FAR more relevant on a national scale than many realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 PM

170 posts, read 347,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I never referred to the "sizes of skyscrapers" anywhere here. I believe I did mention the world's top three skylines, which is a bit different.
I love Cleveland, I truly do. But sorry dude, to say they have one of the top 3 skylines in the world is a stretch...and that's a nice way of putting it. It could be viewed as an insult to ones intelligence. With that being said, I can't wait to get up there and get a corned beef at Superior Resteraunt on E. 30th and Superior.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,324,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRollin View Post
I love Cleveland, I truly do. But sorry dude, to say they have one of the top 3 skylines in the world is a stretch...and that's a nice way of putting it. It could be viewed as an insult to ones intelligence. With that being said, I can't wait to get up there and get a corned beef at Superior Resteraunt on E. 30th and Superior.
I was referring to Chicago, not Cleveland.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 AM

11,066 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Quote:
Please excuse RichRollin for thinking we were talking about Cleveland on the Cleveland forum.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Check your spelling. This is the Cleveland forum.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Dear Andrew;

Chicago is way better then Cleveland.
Illinois kicks Ohio's ass.

OK? We give up. You win.

Now go away please.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:59 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,948,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Dear Andrew;

OK? We give up. You win.

Now go away please.

Really. Didn't this guy leave Cleveland in the mid-90s? I've lived in Cleveland and Chicago and would go with Cleveland if I had to choose between the two.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:43 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,324,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Dear Andrew;

OK? We give up. You win.

Now go away please.

Peregrine, have you figured out yet why boasting about the size of a city's theater district tells people absolutely nothing about a city's overall theater scene and how it compares to that of other cities? The only reason I bother to post in the Cleveland forum at all is because I hate when people throw around completely pointless and useless "statistics" in an attempt to boost their city. The potential for misleading others is just too great. I try to counter that by adding some balance and perspective.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 PM

11,066 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Quote:
I try to counter that by adding some balance and perspective.
I still don't understand why people who are on the Cleveland forum because they are interested in Cleveland care at all about Chicago. Have you figured that one out yet, andy?

Old 11-28-2012, 05:03 PM

16 posts, read 34,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I still don't understand why people who are on the Cleveland forum because they are interested in Cleveland care at all about Chicago. Have you figured that one out yet, andy?
Because without a point of comparison, they won't understand just how microscopic Cleveland is in so many ways.

Thanks andrew61 for offering your opinion from the perspective of someone who has lived in another city besides Cleveland and can offer insights to the many people who come to this forum who are considering a move to Cleveland and want to hear both the good and bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland