Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 12:08 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,324,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Where do you run into Guidos/Guidettes in Chicago?
Some of the Western suburbs...? That's my guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,290,158 times
Cleveland metro does have about 200,000 Italian Americans....top 10 in the US, and even higher when looked at per capita. (Not to mention, the nationally famous Little Italy neighborhood).

Regarding more sheer numbers for repuation, here's a post I found in a "Cleveland vs Columbus vs Pittsburgh" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
I still think there is a disconnect with what is "diverse." Cleveland for example has large numbers of Jewish, Polish, Ukrainian, Croatian, Italian, Hungarian, Slovenian, Slovak, Czech, Serbian, Romanian...however, they all show up on the census as "white."

Pittsburgh is very similar is this regard.

I'm not saying the other metros don't have these old ethnic populations (especially since Indy and Columbus's population continues to increase), but this is what helps give Cleveland it's unique feel...and the census numbers above does not reflect any of this.

For example:

1) Jewish people populations by metro:
Cleveland: 81500
Pittsburgh: 42000
Columbus: 22000
Indianapolis: 10000

2) Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the highest Croatian populations in the country--behind only Chicago and NYC--as another example of "diversity" not being fully defined.

3) Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the highest Hungarian populations in the county outside of NYC.

4) Cleveland metro has 40% of the country's Slovenian Americans.

5) For Italians, Pittsburgh is 8th and Cleveland is 10th in the country.

What does the census say? Caucasian.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:08 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,198,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Where do you run into Guidos/Guidettes in Chicago?
Did you read what I wrote: my family. Besides, do you not believe they exist in Chicago or something??

But yeah, most Chicago Italians live in the suburbs now....many on the Westside.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:10 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,198,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Cleveland metro does have about 200,000 Italian Americans....top 10 in the US, and even higher when looked at per capita. (Not to mention, the nationally famous Little Italy neighborhood).

Regarding more sheer numbers for repuation, here's a post I found in a "Cleveland vs Columbus vs Pittsburgh" thread:
Very interesting point, and one I try to emphasize when people point to the "this city isn't diverse" card.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 AM

372 posts, read 466,571 times
Speaking of the Jewish population:

The Giant Eagle at Legacy Village really caters to the high Jewish population in the area. I believe Cincinnati has a high Jewish population as well. I know Ohio is in the top 10 states (I believe 9) for total Jewish-based population.

Here's a rough estimate:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/.../usjewpop.html

Old 11-08-2012, 02:47 PM

283 posts, read 370,241 times
Other states should be so lucky!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,324,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Very interesting point, and one I try to emphasize when people point to the "this city isn't diverse" card.
Although I don't think Italian-Americans have been considered "diverse" for at least two generations now. We're pretty well assimilated these days.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,181,084 times
From the standpoint of being considered white and European, Italian-Americans are not considered diverse. From the standpoint of what traditional Italians have brought to American culture and from how certain northern cities maintain very distinct neighborhoods and shops which are dedicated to keeping the traditions alive, I'd say Italian-American people bring a considerable amount of diversity to the equation. Just because people have grown used to these things doesn't make them any less diverse. The Italian culture is usually very distinct.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:09 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,948,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Did you read what I wrote: my family. Besides, do you not believe they exist in Chicago or something??

But yeah, most Chicago Italians live in the suburbs now....many on the Westside.
Prior to living in Chicago the impression I had was lots of Italians, especially with the mafia reputation the city has/had. After living there a bit, I noticed that among other things, the landscape is pancake flat and I didn't run into many Italians. Certainly not at the level of the east coast or even Cleveland. The Little Italy in Chicago sucks; just a surprise that's all. Also, the few Italians I did encounter try to have a Jersey/New York thing going on and, sorry, it just didn't work in Chicago. A few Jews I dealt tried to work in a New York accent on occasion as well (saying ''tawk'' and ''cawl'' instead of ''talk'' and ''call")-I asked one ''are you from Brooklyn?" "No, Buffalo Grove; why?" Turns out the mafia is in Chicago City Hall and the Illinois State Government and they are not Italians.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,948,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Although I don't think Italian-Americans have been considered "diverse" for at least two generations now. We're pretty well assimilated these days.
Too bad The Sopranos and The Jersey Shore play up how much Italians are not assimilated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland