Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Sigh. Here we go again.

Note that I did not refer to Chicago's "theater district". I very carefully referrred to Chicago's "theater scene". Two entirely separate and distinct concepts.

I, for one, could not care less about the size of a city's theater district. I am more interested in the total quality, quantity, and variety of all that is on offer.

Chicago boasts several theater districts, plus lots of smaller theater venues scattered all over the city (the North Side, mostly). Many are nonprofit and therefore able to do very experimental and innovative things, and the true theater buff benefits from this. A lot of what ends up on Broadway in NYC got its start in Chicago. How many people realize this?

Take a look at what Chicago has to offer and then tell me yourself how Cleveland theater stacks up:

Theatre in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Because Cleveland definitely doesn't do theater outside of Playhouse Square.

Seriously, nobody cares about Chicago. Next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Sigh. Here we go again.

Note that I did not refer to Chicago's "theater district". I very carefully referrred to Chicago's "theater scene". Two entirely separate and distinct concepts.

I, for one, could not care less about the size of a city's theater district. I am more interested in the total quality, quantity, and variety of all that is on offer.

Chicago boasts several theater districts, plus lots of smaller theater venues scattered all over the city (the North Side, mostly). Many are nonprofit and therefore able to do very experimental and innovative things, and the true theater buff benefits from this. A lot of what ends up on Broadway in NYC got its start in Chicago. How many people realize this?

Take a look at what Chicago has to offer and then tell me yourself how Cleveland theater stacks up:

Theatre in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So let me get this straight, only the sizes of skyscrapers matter, but not theaters. Ok I think I understand.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,323,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Because Cleveland definitely doesn't do theater outside of Playhouse Square.
It does, but what and how much it does is in no way superlative, and pales in comparison to most of the "Brand Name" cities.

IMO, it is important to avoid overhyping the fair and middling, lest people be misled. I, for one, know how it feels when someone tries to sell me something, then I buy it only to find out it doesn't quite live up to the hype I was fed. In fact, when that happens to me, it makes me downright cranky and resentful. I'd prefer to avoid doing that to people who come to this board looking for objective information -- the good, the bad, and the ugly -- not looking to be "sold" on something.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
So let me get this straight, only the sizes of skyscrapers matter, but not theaters. Ok I think I understand.
I never referred to the "sizes of skyscrapers" anywhere here. I believe I did mention the world's top three skylines, which is a bit different.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I never referred to the "sizes of skyscrapers" anywhere here. I believe I did mention the world's top three skylines, which is a bit different.
I am assuming that you believe cities with numerous tall buildings in close proximity to one another to make for good skylines. The size of buildings is certainly important in this regard. No? I think, while you did not state so explicitly, it is not unreasonable in the least to draw the same conclusion that I did.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I am assuming that you believe cities with numerous tall buildings in close proximity to one another to make for good skylines. The size of buildings is certainly important in this regard. No? I think, while you did not state so explicitly, it is not unreasonable in the least to draw the same conclusion that I did.
It's widely accepted that NYC, Chicago, and Hong Kong are the world's top three skylines. It's not just me saying so -- it's an established opinion. I was merely referencing it, that's all.

Cleveland's problem in that regard is that it entirely missed the building boom of the 1970s -- a period when there was virtually no investment in the city. That's the reason Cleveland's skyline is so paltry today, although one could argue there is an upside in that many more historic buildings in the downtown area were preserved that might have fallen to the wrecking ball otherwise.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
It's widely accepted that NYC, Chicago, and Hong Kong are the world's top three skylines. It's not just me saying so -- it's an established opinion. I was merely referencing it, that's all.

Cleveland's problem in that regard is that it entirely missed the building boom of the 1970s -- a period when there was virtually no investment in the city. That's the reason Cleveland's skyline is so paltry today, although one could argue there is an upside in that many more historic buildings in the downtown area were preserved that might have fallen to the wrecking ball otherwise.
I fail to see any insights into the quality of a city based upon superficial appearances. It also depends on what you personally like, so your' "widely accepted" theory doesn't actually matter a whole lot. For example, I love the shiny gold domed churches and Kremlin towers of Moscow's skyline. But I guess those aren't as cool as whatever you guys have in Chicago? Cleveland's skyline, while I do very much like it, has no effect on my fondness for the city as a whole.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I fail to see any insights into the quality of a city based upon superficial appearances. It also depends on what you personally like, so your' "widely accepted" theory doesn't actually matter a whole lot. For example, I love the shiny gold domed churches and Kremlin towers of Moscow's skyline. But I guess those aren't as cool as whatever you guys have in Chicago? Cleveland's skyline, while I do very much like it, has no effect on my fondness for the city as a whole.
I adore skyscrapers. To me they are symbols of what man can achieve when he puts his mind to it. They were virtually impossible before the advent of hydraulic power. When the first ten-story building was erected in NYC in the late 19th century, it was so distrusted that people gathered on the streetcorners on the first windy day to watch it topple over. Nowadays we have towers that soar 100 stories or more, marvels of modern engineering. It's our "can do" spirit and constant desire to innovate and improve that sets us apart from Europe. It's just one of the reasons my ancestors left that stale place and came here.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,947,993 times
Quote:

Cleveland has very nice skyline. Eastbound over the Main Avenue bridge is my favorite view of Cleveland, especially at night. It's certainly not ''paltry''.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,947,993 times
Quote:
Navy Pier, IMHO, is a tourist trap. I don't at all consider it one of the "great" things about Chicago. That's why I didn't mention it.

For the same reason, I didn't mention Millennium Park or a number of other "attractions".

Everything else can be found in any other city? Where's Cleveland's Little India district? Where's Cleveland's version of the Magnificent Mile? Where's Cleveland's historic neighborhood ballpark?
It's a good thing Chicago has all these wonderful draws because it needs all the visitors spending money it can get; let's see, unfunded Illinois public pension debt $88 billion (yes, billion). I heard Bill Daley is now thinking of running for some kinda office in Illinois/Chicago. When is the Chicago Politician House of Horrors opening to add to the tourist hot-spots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland