Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 08:17 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyski88 View Post
Just received a job offer in wickliffe area. Can you guys enlighten me on some possible good locations to find an apartment? Single black male, late twenties, keep to myself (not the party type), 3rd shift job if that helps at all. Financially, id like to keep rent sub 650/month if possible. Moving solo, no kids, spouse/gf.

Looking to stay within ten miles of Wickliffe if possible.

Thanks
$650 is tight for a higher end apartment.

Although I'm not personally familiar with the current state of these complexes, take a look at the Sandcrest located on Lake Erie in Willoughby, and Lakeway Woods and Normandy Manor in Mentor, just scanning this list. Mentor has one of the best rec departments in northeast Ohio, if that is an issue.

Manor Park and Eastlake Terrace in Eastlake and Shoregate Towers in Willowick would be worth checking out. You have to be careful with high rises in Euclid, but Normandy Towers may be one of the better ones and likely would be an easy commute for you down Lloyd Road.

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lower cost options would include apartments on Vine St. such Springcrest Apartments and Vine East.

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...hio/Wickliffe/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 08:52 AM

66 posts, read 95,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
$650 is tight for a higher end apartment.

Although I'm not personally familiar with the current state of these complexes, take a look at the Sandcrest located on Lake Erie in Willoughby, and Lakeway Woods and Normandy Manor in Mentor, just scanning this list. Mentor has one of the best rec departments in northeast Ohio, if that is an issue.

Manor Park and Eastlake Terrace in Eastlake and Shoregate Towers in Willowick would be worth checking out. You have to be careful with high rises in Euclid, but Normandy Towers may be one of the better ones and likely would be an easy commute for you down Lloyd Road.

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lower cost options would include apartments on Vine St. such Springcrest Apartments and Vine East.

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...hio/Wickliffe/
Thank you. What about 750/month? Im just guesstimating here comparing it to columbus rent in a decent area.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Thank you. What about 750/month? Im just guesstimating here comparing it to columbus rent in a decent area.
What are you looking for in an apartment? Proximity to Lake Erie or natural areas, shopping, African American culture, high culture amenities, local rec opportunities? Do you want a high rise, or ground floor apartment? Do you want indoor parking (to avoid cleaning the car in winter); likely a premium?

If you're considering the likes of Cleveland Hts., you're considering a much longer commute as CH is not very convenient for Wickliffe. Google maps says its a 25 minute commute, much more than you suggested was acceptable.

My earlier post was just to identify acceptable communities as I don't have first hand knowledge of specific properties. Various websites offer reviews of specific properties.

Here's a property a little above your price range, but it offers many amenities and indoor parking (for an additional fee). If you would use the amenities, including an indoor pool, it might be worth the additional cost. Just something to consider when evaluating the value of your options. I've known persons who lived there and the biggest complaint was long walks from parking to apartments; something to consider and check out if interested.

https://www.apartments.com/pine-ridg...ls-oh/7nxcz2z/

It's very near shopping, with easy access a little further to the Mentor shopping mecca (I-90 to Route 306), and Route 91 offers quick access to the North Chagrin Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks and Route 306 offers the very good Lake Metroparks in Kirtland as well as the superb Holden Arboretum, if those are interests. It's very convenient for Wickliffe.

See post 13 here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...eveland-2.html

For Cleveland Hts., this thread would be helpful, especially post 3.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

One other advantage of Lake County is the dial-a-ride service of Laketran if you ever want to use mass transit.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-22-2017 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-22-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
What are you looking for in an apartment? Proximity to Lake Erie or natural areas, shopping, African American culture, high culture amenities, local rec opportunities? Do you want a high rise, or ground floor apartment? Do you want indoor parking (to avoid cleaning the car in winter); likely a premium?

If you're considering the likes of Cleveland Hts., you're considering a much longer commute as CH is not very convenient for Wickliffe. Google maps says its a 25 minute commute, much more than you suggested was acceptable.

My earlier post was just to identify acceptable communities as I don't have first hand knowledge of specific properties. Various websites offer reviews of specific properties.

Here's a property a little above your price range, but it offers many amenities and indoor parking (for an additional fee). If you would use the amenities, including an indoor pool, it might be worth the additional cost. Just something to consider when evaluating the value of your options. I've known persons who lived there and the biggest complaint was long walks from parking to apartments; something to consider and check out if interested.

https://www.apartments.com/pine-ridg...ls-oh/7nxcz2z/

It's very near shopping, with easy access a little further to the Mentor shopping mecca (I-90 to Route 306), and Route 91 offers quick access to the North Chagrin Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks and Route 306 offers the very good Lake Metroparks in Kirtland as well as the superb Holden Arboretum, if those are interests. It's very convenient for Wickliffe.

See post 13 here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...eveland-2.html

For Cleveland Hts., this thread would be helpful, especially post 3.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

One other advantage of Lake County is the dial-a-ride service of Laketran if you ever want to use mass transit.
Thank you for the information. Would you say Beachwood or Shaker Heights is an option thats relatively safe? Honestly all i really care about is having a dishwasher as i hate dishes (lol) after ensuring its a good neighborhood. Im from northeast ohio (hour south of Cleveland) im use to having to clean my car off in the winter. From what ive seen Beachwood is 17 minutes away and right next to a highway.

Last edited by skyski88; 08-22-2017 at 03:58 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the information. Would you say Beachwood or Shaker Heights is an option thats relatively safe? Honestly all i really care about is having a dishwasher as i hate dishes (lol) after ensuring its a good neighborhood. Im from northeast ohio (hour south of Cleveland) im use to having to clean my car off in the winter. From what ive seen Beachwood is 17 minutes away and right next to a highway.
Beachwood is fine and so is Shaker Heights. The latter is a longer commute to Wickliffe. Mayfield and Mayfield Hts. are other possibilities closer to Wickliffe.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Beachwood is fine and so is Shaker Heights. The latter is a longer commute to Wickliffe. Mayfield and Mayfield Hts. are other possibilities closer to Wickliffe.
I spent a couple hours last night researching different communities and I think I settled on Cleveland Heights being a viable option. I got to the point of deciding between Mayfield Heights and CH. Being 29 plays a big role into choosing CH over (from what I gather) is the much older and family oriented MH. I have read that the commute is slightly longer since its not by the highway. That said I found two apartments I have taken interest in. Would you say that either of these are in a relatively safe location?

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...Heights/77779/

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...rtments/41429/

If both are in a safe part of the town ill go visit both next week. Both are only 20 mins drive time (9 miles) from work. Plus ill be working 3rd shift so Im assuming traffic wont be an issue until winter snow.

Thanks a lot for your help and patience!

Old 08-23-2017, 04:59 AM

I'm not intimately familiar with these locations, but I would guess they are relatively safe based on a general familiarity. I wouldn't label any location as totally safe, especially in any urban area. Personally, I would greatly prefer the Lennox Road location, given its proximity to University Circle. Check out mass transit connections to downtown on Google Transit at the RTA home page; check for weekends as well.

http://www.riderta.com/

There is one thing to consider about third shifts and winter driving. Sometimes, especially during storms, highways and especially local roads (which you'll be using on a CH commute) are not plowed/salted until it's time to prepare for the morning commute. Major arteries are given precedence during heavy storms.

This likely would be a concern only a handful of days a year.

Also, I doubt those are only 20-minute commutes to Wickliffe if you consider stop lights and speed limits. Definitely check out your commutes on one of your work days during your likely commute times before signing a lease. Commuting from Lennox Road, you likely would use MLK Blvd. and I-90 (25 minutes to Wickliffe per Google maps). MLK traffic can be brutal, but much less for a third shift commute, especially in the morning. However, by 7 a.m., this one-lane major route can be congested.

The intersection of MLK and I-90 is very near Lake Erie and can be subject to heavy lake effect snowfalls. However, it surely is a high priority intersection for highway cleaning operations.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-23-2017 at 05:13 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 12:49 PM

201 posts, read 237,680 times
Quote:
I spent a couple hours last night researching different communities and I think I settled on Cleveland Heights being a viable option. I got to the point of deciding between Mayfield Heights and CH. Being 29 plays a big role into choosing CH over (from what I gather) is the much older and family oriented MH. I have read that the commute is slightly longer since its not by the highway. That said I found two apartments I have taken interest in. Would you say that either of these are in a relatively safe location?

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...Heights/77779/

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...rtments/41429/

If both are in a safe part of the town ill go visit both next week. Both are only 20 mins drive time (9 miles) from work. Plus ill be working 3rd shift so Im assuming traffic wont be an issue until winter snow.

Thanks a lot for your help and patience!
Where is the first apartment located? The company has many buildings in many locations. The address given (2096 Lennox Road) is in Cedar-Fairmount, which is a fantastic neighborhood with great retail services, restaurants, many young adults and nightlife. However, Google Maps shows the building at 2096 Lennox Road does not look like the building you see when you click the link.

The second apartment is located near Severance Town Center. This area is not considered as desirable as Cedar-Fairmount. The mall is dying and there have been numerous public meetings hosted by the City of Cleveland Heights to find a solution through redevelopment.

Visit and walk around Cedar-Fairmount and Severance Town Center; you will observe many differences.

Generally the most desirable areas of Cleveland Heights are:
  • West of Coventry, South of Mayfield
  • Between Coventry and Lee, South of Mayfield/Superior (Exception: Forest Hills)
  • Between Lee and Taylor, South of Dellwood
  • East of Taylor, South of Scarborough

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2017, 03:40 PM

16 posts, read 12,005 times
I actually just started looking at moving up toward Cleveland. My sister use to live in Lakewood so I've been checking that out. Andy other ideas of areas surrounding the city to check out that aren't super expensive with decent jobs around?

Old 11-28-2017, 05:49 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgerb1010 View Post
I actually just started looking at moving up toward Cleveland. My sister use to live in Lakewood so I've been checking that out. Andy other ideas of areas surrounding the city to check out that aren't super expensive with decent jobs around?
It all depends on what you’re looking for. The East Side has the eclectic, artsy, and well-off, but high property tax, Heights (Cleveland Heights, University Heights, Shaker Heights). The I-90 corridor in Lake County has some nice middle class suburbs, with lower taxes. Further out you have suburbs like Beachwood and Solon to the east, and Rocky River, Westlake, and Avon to the west. Then you have rising city neighborhoods like Ohio City, Tremont, Detroit Shoreway, Waterloo. If Lakewood is your jam, I’d say Cleveland Heights is the most comparable area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland