Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 AM

158 posts, read 315,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I am glad you are happy with your purchase. It's also great to hear there deals on the $15K membership fee. I assume you have to pay full price for the lot to get a deal like that.

Regarding mosquitoes-- they are everywhere. When you start building, it is a good idea to plan for a screened porch. I would also ask if SJP does spraying to control mosquitoes. You can also have your lot sprayed by a private company. It also helps to keep the underbrush trimmed, as they multiply on the leaves.

Hi Goldenage1,

Thanks. I am hoping it all works out. Actually the weekend I was at SJP they were offering both the $15k membership fees and 10% off the lot price. However, since I have no idea of what the lot was selling for the previous week, I don't really know if my purchase price was 10% off.

I appreciate the advice for the screened porch as I am planning on doing just that. Also for the spraying/landscaping advice.

And it seemed that the only area where I noticed the mosquitoes was when I was in Ellington, perhaps it was their feeding time.

PilotPaul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 04:53 PM

383 posts, read 892,281 times
The only thing I want to add is that addition to the one-time $15K fee, there are monthly minimums for eating at the clubs and use of the athletic facilities. The fees for golf, etc are based on usage and are charged monthly. I believe the food minimum for the clubs is $600 or $1,200 per year. I am sure a resident of the community, who is better versed on this topic than myself can correct the amounts.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:58 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
BTW Goldy1..... the fact that you were able, out of a couple of thousand homes in St James, to find "one" 15 year old house, in a flood zone, on Beaver Creek that you might, just might be able to tolerate is encouraging... I suppose.
I am only considering moving in case I were widowed. So am budgeting myself to $300,000 for a house, and I want to be careful with my monthly expenses.

BTW, I would love to have a new house for about $550K, but that ain't in my budget. New homes in St James are more expensive in price per square foot, than in the Washington DC suburbs where we still own a house.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM

78 posts, read 199,792 times
I am not sure about SJP being too perfect,but after living here for 6 months and being in our new house almost 3 weeks,we would have to say it is as close to being perfect for us. We have lived in various parts of this great country and we find SJP and the surrounding area great. As Stonecreek and Ponypride have commented on,you would be hard pressed to find, not only a beautiful place to live,but the people here are the friendliest overall. Went to a Woodlands Park holiday/newcomer get together with a 98% neighborhood turnout. NOT PERFECT but not to shabby either.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:15 PM

805 posts, read 2,005,447 times
Yes PonyPride, the food "minimum" is indeed $600 per year for club members, that's $50 per month, quite modest by any country club standard... in the North or in the South..... as just indicated by our newest property owner PilotPaul, ( BTW welcome to the fray ) it amounts to one dinner per month, and that was at the Reserve, the "nicest / newest" of the clubhouses and restaurants..... I was just joking with Texas Tim and a few others last week at the fact that we all met our food minimums in the first quarter, such is the life we lead in this very social and comfortable atmosphere.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Yes PonyPride, the food "minimum" is indeed $600 per year for club members, that's $50 per month, quite modest by any country club standard... in the North or in the South..... as just indicated by our newest property owner PilotPaul, ( BTW welcome to the fray ) it amounts to one dinner per month, and that was at the Reserve, the "nicest / newest" of the clubhouses and restaurants..... I was just joking with Texas Tim and a few others last week at the fact that we all met our food minimums in the first quarter, such is the life we lead in this very social and comfortable atmosphere.

Stoney, I appreciate the welcome.

To be honest when I first heard about the yearly food "minimum," never belonging to a Golf Club, I was sort of shocked by the concept. After talking to friends who do belong to Golf Clubs in the DC area and in the LA area, I learned that the SJP rates are quite reasonable. So for a single guy like me, the cost is $300 per year or a little less than $1 per day.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 PM

805 posts, read 2,005,447 times
Yeah, it's simply a part of the lifestyle, nothing really to think about, it all works out. We didn't work for 40 years to retire and cook EVERY day, especially with the great restaurants in St James and the surrounding area.

Lovely day today in the 70's and sunny, we put the top down this AM and took a spin over to the lake / amphitheater and we strolled over to the Gazebo with the picnic tables and had a coffee from Tommy's and a relaxing stogie, we didn't know it this AM but while sitting there we were probably gazing across the street at your lot just down from all the models..... very nice new neighborhood..... Texas Tim is just around the corner and with a real good arm could throw a rock and hit your lot.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM

Stoney - It sounds like you had a great morning! In the DC area it was raining and around 45 degrees. I ended up buying a lot in Woodlands Park on Sugar Maple Court off of Majestic Drive, not across from the park itself. I thought a cul-de-sac like Sugar Maple Court would had an enhanced sense of community. And a heck of a block party!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:27 PM

383 posts, read 892,281 times
Hi Paul,

Welcome to SJP. I am over in the Reserve, but only a short distance from Woodlands Park. I look forward to getting together with you, Stoney, Tim and other site members once we are all down at the plantation. I won't be a full time resident for a number of years, but I plan on spending summers and vacations during the year at SJP. Look forward to meeting you.

Pony

Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 AM

78 posts, read 199,792 times
Welcome Paul

What lot # are you on Sugar Maple? The reason I ask is, good friends of ours in Texas bought lot 41 on Sugar Maple about a year ago and hope to start building this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina