Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 11:15 AM

383 posts, read 892,727 times

Advertisements

Ditchoc,

Is the pumping station closer to end of 211 or near the cottages. I have biked there before and saw the utilities in place but did not see the pumping station.

Thanks for the information.

Ponypride
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 01:47 PM

8,390 posts, read 4,382,459 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9605...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

This link to Google maps seems to work. The pumping station is centered. You can zoom out to get a better over all picture.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:54 PM

59 posts, read 137,435 times
Would love to hear recommendations/comments/views regarding Heating/AC unit. Our first floor is about 2100 square feet and we'll have a FROG. Standard is a dual zone 3.5 ton 14 SEER Carrier. We can also do three zone system (frog/bedrooms/rest of house), same 3.5 ton 14 SEER; a single zone 3.5 ton 14 SEER for main floor and 1.5 ton 14 SEER unit for frog; or dual zone 3.5 ton 14 SEER for downstairs and 1.5 ton 14 SEER for Frog. Trying to decide single HVAC or dual zone. Thoughts?

Old 02-02-2016, 05:51 PM

5 posts, read 13,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy314 View Post
It looks like the 5 acre lot next to the beach club is on the market for $2.5 million. The lot is between 72nd and 73rd St. Any thoughts on weather SJP should look into buying this? The lot has 250 of ocean front and would be perfect for expansion as SJP grows. In addition, since the lot can be subdivided, it give SJP control over the property.
i think this would be an excellent idea, since parking at the beach is a big problem and this will get worse with all the new housing going up. Something needs to be done to accommodate the growing population.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby310w View Post
Would love to hear recommendations/comments/views regarding Heating/AC unit. Our first floor is about 2100 square feet and we'll have a FROG. Standard is a dual zone 3.5 ton 14 SEER Carrier. We can also do three zone system (frog/bedrooms/rest of house), same 3.5 ton 14 SEER; a single zone 3.5 ton 14 SEER for main floor and 1.5 ton 14 SEER unit for frog; or dual zone 3.5 ton 14 SEER for downstairs and 1.5 ton 14 SEER for Frog. Trying to decide single HVAC or dual zone. Thoughts?
I have owned both a story and a half and a home with bonus over the garage. Generally the upstairs will get warmer in the summer. How warm it gets depends on insulation and air circulation.

How accessible will the systems be? Will they be in a crawl space or in the attic? Will you use the FROG that much? Even if you don't use it that much you probably still will want to keep the temperature to something reasonable.

I would at least go dual zone so you can control the FROG separately. Either one unit with dual zone or two separate units will work assuming a single unit is large enough to handle two zones. Main factors there are cost of installation and maintenance. A single dual zone unit is more complex mechanically.

Two units will take up more space than a single dual zone system. With the cost being equal I would go with a single, dual zone system. It will take up less space and even though slightly more complex mechanically, it will just be one unit to service, one unit to power and one unit dumping condensate in hot weather. If the unit is in the attic, condensate drainage is very important. It needs a pan, float switch, plumbing etc. You do not want a water leak in the attic.

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:56 AM

383 posts, read 892,727 times
I would go with a single two zone system down stairs and a separate compressor and zone upstairs. Also, optimize the SEER rating on the units. I have a 16 and it saves a lot of energy and keeps the electric bills low. Electric service is expensive in Brunswick county.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy314 View Post
It looks like the 5 acre lot next to the beach club is on the market for $2.5 million. The lot is between 72nd and 73rd St. Any thoughts on weather SJP should look into buying this? The lot has 250 of ocean front and would be perfect for expansion as SJP grows. In addition, since the lot can be subdivided, it give SJP control over the property.
I kinda like the idea as well .... but ....

2.5 million is a lot of cash, even for SJP.

Next ... what would it actually provide? Certainly more parking but the demands for parking can fluctuate. There are peak periods in the summer or when special events take place when parking is in high demand but probably 98% of the time, its not an issue. Is that worth 2.5 million?

What else would you do with 5 acre's? Does SJP really need a bigger beach house or pool there? The actual beach is public anyway.

Any development there is subject to high insurance, taxes and maintenance and the whims of mother nature.

So .. I guess I'm on the fence with the idea ... its sounds good but is there really a benefit?

Right now I see the St James drive extension, rebuilding polly gully causeway and bridge and improved street lighting throughout SJP benefiting more people more often and these projects are not cheap. I just don't see 2.5 million + amenity development costs in the SJP budget any time soon.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:05 PM

38 posts, read 84,179 times
Would appreciate any opinions from current homeowners regarding crawl spaces. Hope to be building this time next year and have ruled out raised slab due to potential access issues for plumbing, etc. and walking comfort.

Have done quite a bit of research comparing vented, non-vented with dehumidifier, and encapsulated (sealed) with supply air to space, rat slab vs. poly on grade, fiberglass insulation between floor joists or no floor insulation, spray foam inside of foundation walls or foam board insulation.

I have discovered that the EPA Energy Star program recommends sealed crawlspace with rat slab or 10 mil poly with conditioned air supplied to the space. It seems that the best choice would be a rat slab in an encapsulated crawlspace with a supply duct to condition the crawl space and no floor insulation.

I have found that not all HVAC companies will run a supply line to the crawlspace.

Any thoughts/opinions from your experience?

Old 02-07-2016, 01:14 PM

For this part of the world I think a raised slab is the most economical and trouble free. In 30+ years of home ownership I do not ever remember having to deal with a plumbing problem in the crawl space. I did have issues with HVAC, primarily duct work. It elevates your first floor and standing water becomes a non-issue and there tends to be a lot of standing water near the coast. I would carefully evaluate your lot in heavy rains and storms for drainage. Any standing water at all makes a raised slab about the only choice in my opinion. You can install a raised floor over a concrete slab if you are really concerned about walking comfort. Personally, I think hardwoods and carpet on top of concrete is fine.

In place of a raised slab I would encapsulate any craw space and heat and cool it just like the rest of the house. This will virtually eliminate any moisture issues underneath. I would avoid dehumidifiers. I would spray foam the walls, no vents, no insulation in the floor joists. With a rat slab I would still include a sump pump at the low point. Heavy vinyl over grade also works well. Under the vinyl can be perforated PVC pipe that connects to a vent fan in the foundation wall to help keep soil under the vinyl vented and dry.

I have talked to a number of people in the area that wished they had not gone with a crawl space. Moisture, mold and mildew are real problems as well as varmints at times.

I still think a raised slab is the best in this area but encapsulation is next if it is included in your HVAC space. Just keep in mind that if standing water around your house is any issue at all, it will be a battle to keep it out of a crawlspace.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:52 AM

52 posts, read 92,139 times
If you go with a raised slab do folks look at putting in radiant heating systems.

I know the winters are fairly mild but slabs lack warmth and are cold on your feet. With most homes being ranch ( or have master bedrooms and most living on main level) I would think this would be an option worth considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina