Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 09:28 AM

93 posts, read 207,856 times

Advertisements

@patriot201 (and others)

Regarding the dormant months for Zoysia and Bermuda, it appears they are about the same in NC. However, from what I have read, Bermuda is much more tolerant of overseeding Rye during the winter months. Zoysia, not so much; while it can be done, competition for nutrients seems to impact Zoysia much more than Bermuda.

Personally, the dormant stage of either grass type would probably not drive me to overseeding, but I understand that others may feel differently.

I'm leaning towards Zoysia, especially since it grows slower, less invasive, and more draught tolerant. Of course it is more expensive (such is life).

Gatorbyter

Last edited by Gatorbyter; 09-22-2014 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 12:04 PM

8,389 posts, read 4,380,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Any updates on the modification of Woodlands Park, the status of Legacy Park, the Marina gate and the newly proposed Moss Hammock Wynd extension to Pine Forrest. Seem like out town of SJP is turning into a city. Not exactly what I was looking for, but at least it is a lot like back home.
The last I heard on Woodlands: the basketball courts and play ground were going to be switched in location. It seems some people were not happy with the basketball courts. It seems they thought noise was going to be an issue. I'm not so sure. If you put a noise meter on a a group of teens playing basket ball and one on a group of preschoolers on a play ground ... I'm betting the play ground would be louder.

In addition to that change, I understand a new tier of seating or expansion to the amphitheater will be added. There doesn't seen to be any changes to the planned small sports field or the time table to make the changes over the next three years.

Regardless, I like the additions.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:35 PM

383 posts, read 892,666 times
Don't have to worry about teens playing Basketball at SJP. The only noise you will get is from the medical transport tending to the winded players. Just kidding, I love basketball and do not think noise should be an issue.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:19 AM

301 posts, read 477,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkmd View Post
My wife and I were down last weekend from L.I., NY and our eyes were opened as to what life could be like. We are a few years from retirement but trying to nail down a decision between SJP and Tucson, AZ. Obviously very different places. We really like SJP and the fact that it looks like a real place and not a sketch or plan on a board.
We looked at a lot in the Woodlands on a new road being paved. My only concern is its proximity to the power lines and the road on the western boundary of SJP. Any thoughts? Any concerns about noise from the road to Oak Island? The proximity to the seaside gate is a plus, and with the thought of perhaps working for a few more years and the likely need to commute to Wilmington for a job, this may work out as well.
I welcome any information to help us make an intelligent decision. We have selected a home and are working out the details. We heard of a pest control system built into the foundation of the home. Anyone have any insight into this, is it necessary? My wife is not a "critter" person and the thought of snakes and gators frightens her. Since the yard would back up to woods, I'm not worried 'bout gators, but snakes are a reality.
Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I believe we look at these same lots which were the cheapest in SJP, but not sure. We were turned off by the very high power lines and the substation that were right against the properties for sale. I thought the lots should be even cheaper with those "amenities". I ended not buying in SJP. I was down over the weekend and traveled over the Midway entrance to Oak Island. You can see this section from the road. There is a pond between the four lane divided highway and the power lines; then a fence and you could see the homes. I didn't notice the expressway when I visited the site, but we were only in the SUV on the dirt road. I would walk the lot and be careful of having a home with a second floor on those lots. I doubt you will see/hear a great deals of trucks on the this road, but it will be very busy during the "season" with cars and motorcycles.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,506,402 times
Quick question. How are the pools during the summer. Are they packed with kids? Are there any adult only pools? Just wondering, i was asked this question over the weekend and I was stumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Don't have to worry about teens playing Basketball at SJP. The only noise you will get is from the medical transport tending to the winded players. Just kidding, I love basketball and do not think noise should be an issue.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:11 PM

383 posts, read 892,666 times
The outdoor pools in the summer have a lot of kids (primarily grandchildren). This is especially true of the Seaside pool, which is zero entry.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:50 AM

Thanks Pony, What do you mean by "Zero entry"?

Old 09-24-2014, 09:01 AM

8,389 posts, read 4,380,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Thanks Pony, What do you mean by "Zero entry"?
Means the pool bottom tapers down a slope into the water instead of via steps into deeper water. This makes it more friendly to small children who can wade in a few inches at the edge instead of dropping in over their head.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:26 AM

Thanks....

Looks like i will have to put a pool into whatever house i buy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Means the pool bottom tapers down a slope into the water instead of via steps into deeper water. This makes it more friendly to small children who can wade in a few inches at the edge instead of dropping in over their head.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:23 PM

93 posts, read 207,856 times
Having owned a pool for 10 years .... you could not entice me to do it again. Maintenance headache! I'd rather swim with the children and their baby-ruth bars ..... lol

Gatorbyter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina