Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 04:26 PM

11 posts, read 20,032 times

Advertisements

I've been following st James for some time. I'm registered with a local real estate group to receive real estate listings as they hit the market. I normally get 2 or 3 new listing every few days along with several price changes. Today I received a notice that 71 new properties were listed for sale or newly under contract. About 10 condos and the remainder were single family homes ranging from the lower 300s to high 700s.

did something happen recently happen at st James or were all these new properties for sales just a coincidence ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 05:40 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,009,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaJim View Post
I've been following st James for some time. I'm registered with a local real estate group to receive real estate listings as they hit the market. I normally get 2 or 3 new listing every few days along with several price changes. Today I received a notice that 71 new properties were listed for sale or newly under contract. About 10 condos and the remainder were single family homes ranging from the lower 300s to high 700s.

did something happen recently happen at st James or were all these new properties for sales just a coincidence ?
Better numbers to quote would be actual SOLD properties (those that closed in the reporting period) and the number of new listings as a separate figure. Newly under contract is a bogus number as properties fall out of contract every day.

Of note, many of the new listings in the past couple of weeks........aren't really "new".........they are relistings.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:40 AM

8,394 posts, read 4,388,055 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Better numbers to quote would be actual SOLD properties (those that closed in the reporting period) and the number of new listings as a separate figure. Newly under contract is a bogus number as properties fall out of contract every day.

Of note, many of the new listings in the past couple of weeks........aren't really "new".........they are relistings.

From the SJP web site.
"We introduced the first phase of The Grove earlier this year, featuring 29 wooded homesites of one-third acre, with views of water and natural areas.
Most of the initial offering has now been purchased, and this sales success has prompted us to open up the second phase a couple of months ahead of schedule."

I read in in a combination of sources including POA minutes and newspaper articles that talked about the St Jame extension to Middleton Road. I think it was mysteriously referred to as "Area 22" or similar and that there was 44ish new home lots scheduled for development there. It appears this has turned into "The Groves". From the quote on the SJP web site it appears the initial sales offering in The Groves has gone well and the remaining lots will open soon or have opened. I speculate not only good marketing but the area will have quick access in and out with the new gate. This will allow quick beach access and with the new shopping/grocery going in at Middleton and 211, I think this will help avoid some of the Southport traffic. Its also a nicely wooded area with claims of nature and water views. All good selling points.

That still doesn't account for 71 "new properties". Last year I believe about 250 new homes were built/sold in SJP which is pretty phenomenal in its self. I would think this is prime season. The traffic in SJP, the number of "VIP" window passes I see, cut rate week end get-a-ways and the number of kids at the seaside pool all tell me a lot of people are visiting SJP. All this in conjunction with numerous positive real estate market reports for the plantation and Brunswick county, various awards e.g. in the top 500 communities in the USA, the happiest seaside town in America, etc. a new 4 million dollar fitness center in the works, the WOW! factor when you first see SJP ...... even if the numbers are skewed a bit, it would not surprise me if the real estate market here wasn't pretty "H...O....T" right now.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:20 AM

13,379 posts, read 27,105,985 times
Quote:
Today I received a notice that 71 new properties were listed for sale or newly under contract. About 10 condos and the remainder were single family homes ranging from the lower 300s to high 700s.

I don't think there is a problem with St James. I went through a few of the single-family listings. I noticed several that were apparently second homes because of mailing addresses up north. The owners could have health issues that prevent them from using the home.

I also agree that The Grove is sounding more attractive because of it's proximity to the planned new exit to the beach and shopping.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:24 PM

93 posts, read 207,911 times
The eventual extension of St. James Drive will literally give me a 5-8 minute drive to Oak Island; currently it takes more like 25 minutes.

Gatorbyter

Old 08-09-2015, 08:29 PM

89 posts, read 134,102 times
Any real dates or notices that the new gate will actually happen and when? Thanks!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:09 AM

93 posts, read 207,911 times
@btcountess

Only intelligent guesses .... without going into a lot of detail, there are some issues that must be resolved between SJP, the state of NC, and the family who owns the property that the new access will pass thru. Some of these issues involve money/compensation. My discussions with peeps involved in the process inform me it could easily take the good part of NEXT year to be resolved. So I'd guess end of 2016.

BTW, there is a backup plan (if this all falls apart) to connect the lower section of SJP (including the new Grove area) with one of the existing accesses that connect to the Causeway that leads to Oak Island. This is not nearly as attractive for a lot of reasons.

Gatorbyter

Old 08-20-2015, 06:10 PM

59 posts, read 137,447 times
Hi All! We'll be back in town end of September. Does anyone know if we can rent a boat to take out on the ICW or is there someone that will take us out? I thought someone recommended someone before who does this out of the marina. Also, is there somewhere we can rent bicycles in Saint James? TIA!

Old 08-20-2015, 06:55 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,393,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby310w View Post
Hi All! We'll be back in town end of September. Does anyone know if we can rent a boat to take out on the ICW or is there someone that will take us out? I thought someone recommended someone before who does this out of the marina. Also, is there somewhere we can rent bicycles in Saint James? TIA!
Welcome to Cape Fear Water Sports
NC Boat Rentals
Carolina Watersports - Jet Ski Rentals - Pontoon Boat Rentals - Oak Island, NC

Old 09-17-2015, 09:48 PM

158 posts, read 316,159 times
I am about 5-6 weeks from closing on my new home. It is time to find Homeowners/Wind and Hail Insurance. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,

PilotPaul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina