Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 07:09 AM

8,413 posts, read 4,414,760 times

Advertisements

Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort Homes - Southern Comfort Homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 04:58 PM

56 posts, read 160,631 times
Thanks, I looked at their homes they appeared to be very nice. Good luck with your home!

Old 03-14-2015, 07:39 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,091,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
Looking for some advice/input from the forum folks. Have been talking with an independent custom home builder to construct our new home in SJP. Recently was informed (by the builder) that he has become a representative of a major home building company in the southeast that uses design centers, etc. for all interior finishes (and possibly construction materials as well) rather than individual suppliers. As a result (I think), the home cost figures have increased. Since this information came to light, I have been in conversation with another local independent builder who relies on individual suppliers for materials/finishes. Have not received a quote from the second builder yet, but I would be willing to wager that there is a significant increase in materials/finishes cost when a design center is used vs. individual suppliers. I know that "one stop shopping" is much more convenient, but at what cost? Having been through the construction process in the past, I am willing to take the time to "shop" for the finishes, etc. in order to save some cash. Just looking for some feedback from personal experience, etc. any advice would be appreciated.
Having recently gone to the Brunswick Co. Parade of Homes, I am confused as to what actually constitutes a "custom" home. I was under the impression that a custom design was one where the buyer decided on everything from the design of the floor plan to the selection of the door knobs in their home; the home plans are unique to the home owner and not available to anyone else.

Like you, I can understand the convenience of selecting finishes from a limited sourcing center but cannot figure out what the difference is between this approach (which is being marketed as "custom") and buying a home from a production builder who has a gallery of pre-selected products and finishes - this approach does not seem to be custom in the true sense of the word.

It seems if you wish to select and pay for the finishes you want you need to find a builder who will allow you to do that. It costs the builder no more in labour costs to install a $75.00 kitchen faucet or a $350.00 faucet if you are providing it.

If my thinking is way off on this, please set me straight!

Old 03-14-2015, 09:51 PM

383 posts, read 894,444 times
Many of the true "custom" builders will have suppliers that you can work with to choose fixtures or they will give you an allowance. If you go above the allowance your price goes up. If you are below, you can save money. It just requires you to be careful, if you are trying to fit into a specific budget.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:45 AM

13,390 posts, read 27,215,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Having recently gone to the Brunswick Co. Parade of Homes, I am confused as to what actually constitutes a "custom" home. I was under the impression that a custom design was one where the buyer decided on everything from the design of the floor plan to the selection of the door knobs in their home; the home plans are unique to the home owner and not available to anyone else.

Like you, I can understand the convenience of selecting finishes from a limited sourcing center but cannot figure out what the difference is between this approach (which is being marketed as "custom") and buying a home from a production builder who has a gallery of pre-selected products and finishes - this approach does not seem to be custom in the true sense of the word.
I have been using the term "build-to-order" for most of the Brunkswick County builders who work in the plantations. I keep the term "custom" for the true custom house which is unique.

I would appreciate the convenience of using a design center compared to visiting different suppliers to pick everything. But whether it costs extra, IDK.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:03 AM

18 posts, read 50,524 times
I had a custom home built but was unable to get the dishwasher I wanted because the brand was not carried by the appliance dealer that the builder used. I had to get my tiles from Custom Flooring who have a high markup. For example, my tiles were 4 times the price at Home Depot. Exact same tile. The builders have relationships with suppliers and you get to pay to maintain that relationship.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:26 AM

11 posts, read 20,053 times
can anyone provide a general estimate of property insurance?

lets say for example, a $500K property not in a flood zone.

thank you

Old 03-16-2015, 01:58 PM

13,390 posts, read 27,215,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaJim View Post
can anyone provide a general estimate of property insurance?

lets say for example, a $500K property not in a flood zone.
We are not in St James, but we are about 2 miles from the ocean, non-flood zone. We just paid the homeowner's insurance bill of $2450 on house worth about $325,000. We have Universal Property and Casualty.

I did a ratio calculation, and a property worth $500,000 would have a bill of $3700+. You results will vary naturally, depending on distance, finishes, etc.

BTW, that is more than our property tax bill, so plan accordingly.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:32 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,051,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
We are not in St James, but we are about 2 miles from the ocean, non-flood zone. We just paid the homeowner's insurance bill of $2450 on house worth about $325,000. We have Universal Property and Casualty.

I did a ratio calculation, and a property worth $500,000 would have a bill of $3700+. You results will vary naturally, depending on distance, finishes, etc.

BTW, that is more than our property tax bill, so plan accordingly.
Does this include the wind, etc... Has this gone up from last year's - I seem to remember you were with a different carrier last year.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:50 PM

8,413 posts, read 4,414,760 times
Looking at my insurance ... we use Allstate who covers our cars as well ...

We are about a mile from the ocean, 13 feet above sea level ... there are other variables .... house is 2100 sq feet, new construction ... not including the land, home value is about 350k

Flood insurance about $400
Home Owners about $400
Wind and Hail about $1800

this is per year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina