Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 03:08 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMJennifer View Post
Are there gas lines in the neighborhood so I can have a gas cook top?
This is the one question I can answer. The are no natural gas lines, but you may use a propane tank for a gas cook top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 03:51 PM

93 posts, read 207,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
This is the one question I can answer. The are no natural gas lines, but you may use a propane tank for a gas cook top.
Yup ... you can build a home that relies heavily on Propane if you want (all appliances, hotwater heater, HVAC, fireplace, grill etc.) and put a very large tank in, or you can use electric predominantly and use propane only for the fireplace/grill, which is what I did, installing a small tank.

Gatorbyter

Old 12-11-2014, 06:52 PM

158 posts, read 315,515 times
ILMJennifier - I hope the following non-expert information helps.

Q. Does anyone have information on the architectural guidelines at SJP?
A. Check out this link - St. James Plantation Property Owners' Association
There is a wealth of information.

Q. Specifically, I am trying to find out if I were to purchase a lot, would my home need to be a specific minimum square footage?
A. I believe so. The minimum size of the home may be neighborhood dependant.

Q. Would I have to choose from a list of "preferred" builders?
A. No.

Q. Am I limited to certain styles of homes?
A. I do not believe so, but they can not be over a certain height (more info in the guidelines)

Q. Are garages to be side loading only, or can they be front loading?
A. From the guidelines: Garages (Garages are required and must accommodate at least two cars)
Residents must be able to park their cars in the garages. Side loaded or rear loaded garages are preferred. Front loaded garages are allowed but must include windows, panels or trim that enhances their appearance from the street. Landscape materials must also be used to screen parking areas and side load garage doors from streets and adjacent lots. Detached two car garages maybe allowed as long as they do not obstruct views from adjacent lots and appear to be an extension of the main structure.

There are two houses with front loaded garages on my street and when my house is built, three houses with front loaded garages.

Q. Does the exterior of the home have to be brick/stone?
A. No, but may be neighborhood dependant. From the guidelines:

Exterior Elevations
The ACC reviews and determines the appropriateness of the property owners’ selections of exterior materials and colors to ensure that they are compatible with the existing homes in the immediate neighborhood, with the architectural style of the home, and with the natural surroundings.
Owners are required to include color board samples for any exterior surface of the home, including mortar color, with the Application for approval of Residential Construction form.

Approved exterior siding materials: Brick / Stucco / Cedar Shakes / Horizontal Wood Siding / Hardiplank / Stone Approved window, fascia, soffit, and trim materials are: Wood, Painted or Stained Aluminum, Painted Vinyl.

The ACC shall determine the appropriateness of exterior materials and colors for all construction.

Q. Are there gas lines in the neighborhood so I can have a gas cook top?
A. I wish. Many people have propane tanks, most are buried.

Good luck!

PilotPaul

Old 12-11-2014, 09:25 PM

59 posts, read 137,246 times
ILMJennifer, to add to PilotPaul's response, if you build in the Reserve, minimum square footage on first floor is 2200, but they will allow 2000 with a screened porch. Also, the Reserve requires homes to be built on four course whereas most other areas are three course. We've been quoted ~ $4000-$5000 for four course. We didn't find out about these requirements until after we had the lot and were informed by our future neighbors,

Old 12-12-2014, 05:47 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby310w View Post
Also, the Reserve requires homes to be built on four course whereas most other areas are three course. We've been quoted ~ $4000-$5000 for four course. We didn't find out about these requirements until after we had the lot and were informed by our future neighbors,
What is the "four courses" requirement? The number of blocks in the foundation, so that the houses are higher?

Old 12-12-2014, 06:55 AM

I am not sure if it is the number of blocks, but it is elevation based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
What is the "four courses" requirement? The number of blocks in the foundation, so that the houses are higher?

Last edited by PilotPaul; 12-12-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 12-12-2014, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,215 times
Thank you all! Very helpful information! PilotPaul - The POA website you provided prompts me to enter login information, which I don't have. I am only in the very beginning stages of researching SJP, and I am trying to find out as much as possible before making any decisions. Is there info that you could copy and paste from there, perhaps in a DM if it's not allowed to be posted publicly? Appreciate the help!

Old 12-12-2014, 08:23 AM

Jennifer - I sent you a DM with some info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMJennifer View Post
Thank you all! Very helpful information! PilotPaul - The POA website you provided prompts me to enter login information, which I don't have. I am only in the very beginning stages of researching SJP, and I am trying to find out as much as possible before making any decisions. Is there info that you could copy and paste from there, perhaps in a DM if it's not allowed to be posted publicly? Appreciate the help!

Old 12-13-2014, 06:03 AM

93 posts, read 207,569 times
These are the POA Design Requirements, including minimum home size requirements AND maximum impervious surface limits (important).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3h4lod7du...lines.pdf?dl=0

In some areas, like mine, you may find the maximum impervious surface limit to be a bit painful and could require you to downsize the home a bit or possibly move it more forward on the lot than you really desire. BTW, in SJP, pavers and rock surfaces could towards the limit.

FWIW, all 3 of the homes at the end of my cul-de-sac were built right up against the 5500 sq-ft limit, including mine .... literally I am at 5500 sq-ft. The limit may initially sound like a lot, but when you account for patio, covered porch, a garage courtyard entry, and driveway, you may get a rude awakening.

Gatorbyter

Old 12-13-2014, 06:09 AM

30 posts, read 46,840 times
We are going through our builder( at the Cottages) for a flat rate of $4500. Some builders offer this option and the interest only option usually ends up being close to or exceeds that price. We choose this option because you just never know how long a project will get hung up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina