Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 07:38 PM

383 posts, read 892,555 times

Advertisements

The POA President's Column in the February 2015 issue of Cat-Tales was very interesting. SJP is a very well managed community, but there is still financial risk associated with the possible future divestiture of the clubs by the developer. My guess if this happens they will bring in a management company to own and run the clubs. Uncertainty is part of life, but for SJP, this is a huge issue that will have to be solved in the next few years. It will certainly impact club memberships and possibly the club and POA fee structure. Fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 05:12 AM

8,388 posts, read 4,376,951 times
I rode through the Seaside area yesterday and there is a LOT of construction going on. I understand the area across from the pool is the new health club and that is going to be larger than the existing two. There is also construction closer to the gate, just outside the gate and maybe in another spot or two near by. There is just a lot going on.

Does anyone have more detail or perhaps even a link to a drawing of what the all this will be and look like when finished? I've looked around the SJP websites and am not finding much.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:53 PM

Hi ditch,

I don't believe the fitness center at Seaside is going to be across from the pool. I was told that all of those lots were sold to a single builder, who is going to build houses. I believe the area outside of the Seaside gate will be professional buildings to serve the community and Southport.

Pony

Old 02-11-2015, 07:08 PM

I found out that part of the construction is a Dosher Medical Center just out side the gate at Seaside. Don't really know any more. The CEO of Dosher hospital is supposed to talk to the Service Club in the next few weeks about it.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:52 PM

Just a quick question, when are you going to turn on your irrigation systems. I am not sure if lawn watering is needed in March, but I wanted to check with my friends on the forum.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:03 AM

My turf is new. I threw the water to in right after it was laid for most of December. Since then, irrigation has been off. The centipede is dormant and not really doing anything, not even taking root.

Its also been very wet throughout January and February and so far its still pretty wet, even the past few days.

I'm thinking that when the temps starting getting into the 60+ range for more than a week or two, it will be time to start watering. My guess it this will be no later than mid April, possibly earlier.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:21 PM

38 posts, read 84,165 times
Looking for some advice/input from the forum folks. Have been talking with an independent custom home builder to construct our new home in SJP. Recently was informed (by the builder) that he has become a representative of a major home building company in the southeast that uses design centers, etc. for all interior finishes (and possibly construction materials as well) rather than individual suppliers. As a result (I think), the home cost figures have increased. Since this information came to light, I have been in conversation with another local independent builder who relies on individual suppliers for materials/finishes. Have not received a quote from the second builder yet, but I would be willing to wager that there is a significant increase in materials/finishes cost when a design center is used vs. individual suppliers. I know that "one stop shopping" is much more convenient, but at what cost? Having been through the construction process in the past, I am willing to take the time to "shop" for the finishes, etc. in order to save some cash. Just looking for some feedback from personal experience, etc. any advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:57 PM

I've built 3 houses now. Every build has be different. They have been spaced out over 26 years or so too.

I am sure every builder is a bit different. This last build was the first time we had "one stop shopping". I liked the approach. It wasn't really a design center. The builder just did all the leg work and in the garage of one of his models were samples of all the various choices we could make. Granite, brick, doors, fixtures, etc.

My experience in terms of fixtures, lighting and plumbing, and to some extent even paints etc .... there is cheap, there is good quality, then there is "I have more money than I know what to do with" high end. I'm not trying to be snide, if money is no object, more power to you. For me, I am willing to pay for good quality but I'm not going with gold plated fixtures, or leather like paint on the walls etc.

My builder provided 2 or 3 good quality options in most fixtures, in a few different popular finishes like nickle, bronze etc. In brick there were close to a dozen choices. Granite had 8 or 10 choices and so on. My wife and I appreciated being able to pick everything in one spot and every thing was included in the quoted price.

In the past we were given an allotment. For instance, for lights. We had to go the light store, pick every fixture for every room, all while trying to stay within the allotment. We went over. In this last build, we picked a basic design for inside and outside, the finish color and we were done.

In the past, can lighting was an issues. The builder said they are pricey and we are limited to 12 or 15 and over that we pay more. This was not an issue with this last house and our builder was very generous with lighting.

Over all I was good with the process. The biggest issue was my wife and I agreeing at times, even with just a few choices rather than a whole store full of choices.

Again, no design center was involved. Just the builder and his site manager who was very helpful with advice on materials, colors etc.

Other than a handful of upgrades we added, knew we would pay for, the house purchase was as agreed on from the start.

Good luck

Old 03-13-2015, 07:57 PM

I would thing home builders with Design Centers use limited suppliers that have a large selection. I know that when we worked with Logan, a lot of their plumbing supplies came from Ferguson. Everything was name brand and I really don't think it was more expensive. If the builder uses individual suppliers, it would probably only be more expensive if they were "speciality" suppliers who had only very high end merchandise. As far as building materials, most will use an lumber yard like 84 Lumber in Wilmington. The difference is whether the joists are pre-engineered or stick built, the latter being more expensive. Also, are the studs in the walls 2x4 or 2X6, the latter being more expensive. For HVAC, all builders subcontract that out but the difference is in the Seer rating of the unit. 13 is standard, 16 is higher end and 20 is very high end. The higher the number the better the efficiency. All of these items will factor into the price difference of the home. I don't think the use of design centers as a building option will increase the cost of the home. One other thing, Builders like to use design centers or designated suppliers because they know what they are putting in the home and there are less problems. You can get flooring for less at Lumber Liquidators, but the builder may not like how it installs or the consistency of the product.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:55 AM

56 posts, read 160,002 times
Ditchoc who was the builder you used?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina