Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,162,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbeckes View Post
Does anyone have info on Winding River. Not the same level of amenities but available homes run considerably less than SJP
You might join in another thread. This thread is about St James. Check the second post, where someone rates WR as second or third among the plantations: https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...lantation.html

Their rating does not mean WR is bad, just that it has fewer amenities. The home prices are correspondingly lower. Again, that is not bad, and WR could be a better choice for you.

Here's another recent thread on WR: https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...lantation.html You might send a DM to Coastal1006 who says s/he lives in WR.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-02-2014 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 02:36 PM

19 posts, read 39,279 times
Thank you.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:58 AM

805 posts, read 2,009,039 times
FYI......

Large senior living master planned community announced for N.C. 211/Midway area - The State Port Pilot : Topstory

Old 05-12-2014, 11:34 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,162,024 times
Thanks. I see the new information that the former manager of St James is involved in this project. Quote: The Charles is being developed by former St. James Plantation general manager Robert Duffy, Southport resident and IT entrepreneur Chris Maynor, and Gene Vaughan, a healthcare and senior adult care consultant and developer in Monroe, North Carolina."

The Charles has a different focus, and it seems to be a smart move to sell homes to the increasingly aging population in Brunswick County.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:49 PM

383 posts, read 893,767 times
I think this will have a negative impact on SJP property values. With over 2K homes to be built in SJP and 2,250 units in this new community, there will be a glut of housing. SJP will have the amenities as a differentiator but I still think it will result in a downward pressure on prices. The only good thing I see is that at least there will be medical services close by. I am hopeful that will be open to all residents of the area.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:55 AM

605 posts, read 1,264,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
I think this will have a negative impact on SJP property values. With over 2K homes to be built in SJP and 2,250 units in this new community, there will be a glut of housing. SJP will have the amenities as a differentiator but I still think it will result in a downward pressure on prices. The only good thing I see is that at least there will be medical services close by. I am hopeful that will be open to all residents of the area.
I disagree with that. This new development seems more like an assisted living or 'step down community' which means they might be independent apartments - then as you age you go into assisted living - and then if needed a nursing home facility all within one development. My father in law is in a similar place in PA called "shanondell' I'm thinking this could be a good place for people who no longer can maintain their own independence in SJP - this could be a good thing.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 PM

9 posts, read 17,042 times
I agree with missynancy that this addition to the area could be very positive as it will provide an option to an aging population at SJP to remain in the area and be assured the medical assistance many need as they age.

I will be doing the "Discovery Package" tour this Thursday, Friday & Saturday. Arriving with a buddy tomorrow afternoon. Touring the plantation with Robert Sidden Friday morning, golf at a "TBD" course at the plantation Friday afternoon and personal exploration Friday night/Saturday morning.

The only thing better is if this were a permanent itinerary every week! Someday......

Old 05-15-2014, 10:06 AM

605 posts, read 1,264,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Gary View Post
I agree with missynancy that this addition to the area could be very positive as it will provide an option to an aging population at SJP to remain in the area and be assured the medical assistance many need as they age.

I will be doing the "Discovery Package" tour this Thursday, Friday & Saturday. Arriving with a buddy tomorrow afternoon. Touring the plantation with Robert Sidden Friday morning, golf at a "TBD" course at the plantation Friday afternoon and personal exploration Friday night/Saturday morning.

The only thing better is if this were a permanent itinerary every week! Someday......
When we were looking at SJP - we also did the tour with Robert Sidden - he is extremely nice and very knowledgeable....he talks a lot so take notes !! Even though we bought into ORP - SJP was a close second choice for us....... have fun and give us a report when you get back !!

Old 05-15-2014, 10:48 AM

19 posts, read 39,279 times
We will be doing the package and tour in June with Bobby Grove. Has anyone had experience with him? Mayor, will be very interested in your thoughts after your weekend. I hope that MissyNancy is on target with that assessment of The Charles. I agree it would be a very good thing if that is the intended development perspective. While we are in the area we will also explore Winding River, Brunswick Forest, Magnolia Greens and some in Wilmington... Porters Neck... maybe some others. A lot to do, plus our gDaughter is in the Thalian production of Wizard of Oz... so a packed week. My hubby is putting together a notebook of comparisons, questions, etc - a lot of info gleaned here and a lot of blanks for more info to be added.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:57 PM

1,540 posts, read 2,437,073 times
Mayor, or should I say Your Honor we all look forward to your report on how things went. I have only played one track at SJ that being the Reserve. If that is offered jump on it as it was one of the best I ever played in the Myrtle Beach "region". Will you be venturing to other Plantations or are you sold on SJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina