Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 10:09 AM

19 posts, read 39,184 times

Advertisements

We have to go thru Atlanta to get just about anywhere, so that isn't much of a concern. Our grands are in Wilmington, so we expect to be doing that drive - but we don't want to be too close, like right in Wilmington. In fact, I'm hoping the amenities might entice them to visit us! The medical community is of concern. I heard that the regional hospital had done a major renovation and that Drs are moving into the area, but that is one thing we surely want to explore. I've been in the South all my life and have roots in both N and S Carolina, so I do understand the comments about Southern culture. But I also have lots of "Yankee friends!" Talking with the locals is a great thing to put on our agenda. We spent a week at Oak Island last summer and just fell in love with the area and the town of Southport. We found SJP almost by accident. Hoping to learn more. Such a big decision and so many things to consider. Retirement always seemed so far away... now that we are at the crossroads, so much of our perspective has changed. This forum has been so interesting and we thank you all for posts and comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 03:17 PM

59 posts, read 137,246 times
On one of our first trips to SJP, it was right after Sandy and SJP was having a benefit concert while we were in town. We bought tickets and went, not knowing what to expect. When we arrived at the Community Center, most of the tables were taken and people went all out with tablecloths, food, drinks, etc. We found a table and sat down. I said to my husband, most of SJP are Yankee transplants, let's see if they've adopted the Southern ways. Wasn't 15 minutes later, someone from the next table approached us, asked if we were alone, and then invited us to join them and introduced us to their friends. All of them were from NJ, NY, PA, etc. Since that initial visit we've been making friends every time we visit. That was one of the things that sold us on SJP.

The drive to Leland or Wilmington doesn't bother us because we are used to long drives. We live in Philadelphia yet it takes me at times 1-1/2 to 2 hrs to get into Center City, 25 miles away. With no traffic, it's still a 20-30 minute drive. Several times we have driven from Military Cutoff Rd near Wrightsville Beach to SJP at different times and the one time we left there at 4:45 pm on a Friday and made it to SJP main gate by 5:30. So the traffic has not been a problem for us, but it's all what you're used to.

Hope you enjoy SJP and find what you need!

Old 04-26-2014, 04:32 AM

383 posts, read 891,465 times
Since I am younger than most of the people at SJP and Ocean Ridge Plantation, my perspective and time horizons may be a little different. For medical care, outside of checkups, I am going to Wilmington. Top notch care there. In the past few years, the building that has taken place in the Southport/Shallotte area has been consistent. With the building boom at SJP, the building of more infrastructure will continue. We probably won't recognize the area in 5-10 years.
Flying in my case is not an issue. If I want to go super cheap, it is Spirit direct to Myrtle Beach, although I have to tolerate the "worst" customer service ever. If I want to pay a little more, I can fly US Air into Wilmington, which is preferable. In Southport there are a lot of local establishments and I have never encountered any negative treatment (being from the North), even when wearing a Mets shirt. The only time I ever got negative feedback about SJP was from a cashier at Wal-Mart.
Things I don't like about SJP -
1) Get rid of the billboards outside the plantation.
2) Traffic police in the plantation can be aggressive, although many of them are very nice.
3) At times, big homes appear to dwarf smaller homes next door. It is great that there are so many different house styles, but you have 5,000 sq foot homes next to 2,500 sq foot homes. Looks weird sometimes.
4) We need a Dunkin Donuts somewhere closer than Wilmington.
5) Beach club needs more parking
6) Concern that the amenities can handle the growing population.

Bottom line for me is that the good well outweighs the few negatives. I love SJP, but it is really a personal decision.

Pony

Old 04-26-2014, 11:08 AM

720 posts, read 1,708,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Since I am younger than most of the people at SJP and Ocean Ridge Plantation, my perspective and time horizons may be a little different. For medical care, outside of checkups, I am going to Wilmington. Top notch care there. In the past few years, the building that has taken place in the Southport/Shallotte area has been consistent. With the building boom at SJP, the building of more infrastructure will continue. We probably won't recognize the area in 5-10 years.
Flying in my case is not an issue. If I want to go super cheap, it is Spirit direct to Myrtle Beach, although I have to tolerate the "worst" customer service ever. If I want to pay a little more, I can fly US Air into Wilmington, which is preferable. In Southport there are a lot of local establishments and I have never encountered any negative treatment (being from the North), even when wearing a Mets shirt. The only time I ever got negative feedback about SJP was from a cashier at Wal-Mart.
Things I don't like about SJP -
1) Get rid of the billboards outside the plantation

4) We need a Dunkin Donuts somewhere closer than Wilmington.

Pony
YES to a Dunkin' Donuts! My visiting daughter really missed this.
99% of people are great (after all, you ARE a customer) and that 1% or so, well, not everyone loves me in my native state, either. In general, it's a very friendly area, lots of interesting and interested people.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:40 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
OK, so just as an FYI.... in the form of an informational type of bulletin..... a new restaurant just opened last Thursday in Southport... The Smoke House, on Howe Street next to the BP station. It has been several different restaurants that did not make it over the past few years, now the owners of the property who had the original BBQ restaurant there years ago, have opened up again. Apparently they were an "award winning" BBQ family from way back.... serving ribs, pork shoulder, brisket, smoked hot dogs and sausage and all the sides ....

so in outline form:

Un-freakin-believable bodacious food

Best ribs this side of rib-ville

sold out everything the 1st day in 2 hours by 1PM

sold out everything ( double batches ) 2nd day in 2 hours by 1PM

lines out the door and working the humungous smoker double shifts overnight to keep up with the demand.

Another great stop for excellent chow in the area !!!!

https://www.facebook.com/SouthportSmokeHouse

Old 04-26-2014, 09:05 PM

9 posts, read 17,018 times
Can't wait to visit and give em a try! Absolutely love smokin'! SJP and Southport are looking better everyday!

Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times
Always enjoy reading Cat Tails on the St James POA site. Can't seem to access it now. Has something changed on giving outsiders access?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:41 AM

158 posts, read 315,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Always enjoy reading Cat Tails on the St James POA site. Can't seem to access it now. Has something changed on giving outsiders access?
It has a new address: St. James Plantation Property Owners' Association

Old 04-27-2014, 11:15 AM

383 posts, read 891,465 times
Any Citi Data friends going to be in Southport Memorial Day weekend? We should have a get together.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:59 PM

59 posts, read 137,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
Any Citi Data friends going to be in Southport Memorial Day weekend? We should have a get together.
My husband and I will be there! We'd love to meet up with any Citi Data folks! Anyone going to the Shrimp and Beer at Seaside Pool Sunday before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina