Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 06:42 PM

383 posts, read 891,465 times

Advertisements

Not unless they have a cement block secured to their foot while taking a swim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:29 AM

16 posts, read 55,914 times
A question: having some nervousness about moving away from where we've lived for 30 years. Anyone miss their friends, regret moving, have a hard time adjusting and making new friends?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:27 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimiwenk View Post
A question: having some nervousness about moving away from where we've lived for 30 years. Anyone miss their friends, regret moving, have a hard time adjusting and making new friends?
Mimi - Your question might better posted in the General retirement forum than in one specific to St. James. However, most of us who have moved south have adjusted and made new friends. I stay in touch with old friends though Facebook, email, and occasional visits.

When you move into a retirement-oriented community, most everyone has been through the same things, and they are very inclined to welcome newcomers. The larger communities often have a social committee or Newcomers clubs.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:36 AM

605 posts, read 1,258,339 times
Quote:
Mimi: do you have family back in your old neighborhood? That is my biggest concern. leaving children/grandchildren. but in our case - we are only 9-10 hrs. away and i will be retired and plan on driving/flying up every six-eight weeks to see them...or them to come see me on various vacations, etc. I think as far as friends are concerned - we are all in the same boat - the development we are moving into - ORP - has tons of social clubs - one of them being "Jersey Girls" and i plan on being very active in it so i don't think finding and making friends will be a problem.....

Old 07-18-2014, 04:27 AM

20 posts, read 41,621 times
Default Adjustment

Quote:
Mimi: I am sure this is normal and I have been trying to prepare myself for this change. I will miss my friends and family. No grandchildren yet, which makes it a little easier to leave I think. I'm looking forward to making new friends and look upon this move as a great adventure. My husband and I have lived in the New Haven area of CT all our lives so it will be a big change, but I think it will be a great one. Even positive change can be a great stressor so be patient with yourself and know that time is a great healer. Give yourself time to adjust to this change. I don't know a soul in SJP yet. Plan to come down in a couple of weeks - our house is closing on the 29th - so will post again when I have exact dates and would love to meet you and anyone else from the Forum who is interested. Hang in there, girl!

Old 07-18-2014, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,300 times
Chrissearay - I am new to this forum although my husband and I have been browsing it for a while to gather information. We have just returned from SJP looking at lots to build on. We have found 3 that we really like. I just wanted to let you know that while there, we met so many friendly and welcoming people from each of the neighborhoods we are looking at. We couldn't get over how easy it will be to make new friends and get involved! Several offered for us to come in and see their home and others gave us their "card" which seems to be a thing down there. The cards have all their contact info on it, just like the old fashioned business cards! I have even been emailing one of the women I just met last week. Which neighborhood are you building in?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:46 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,132 times
Crazy question but maybe not. This past weekend while sitting on the beach up here in NJ We were sitting with the usual 6 couples we sit with every weekend and I was telling them how itchy we are to leave NJ and head down to SJP or Winding River, or Ocean Ridge Plantation. I have been trying to convince them to make a similar move for past 5-6 years. One of the couples asked us a question I really couldn't answer but thought i would ask the group. The question was one couple thought there appeared to be a lot of homes for sale in St James that are fairly new, not counting the spec homes by the builders. Indication was that a lot of people made the move there but it really didn't turn out to be as great as advertised. I just let the comment go but was wondering if the group had any insights . I think theres something like 145 resales on the market. Just wondering if anyone sees a trend or is this normal with a large community???

thanks

Old 07-22-2014, 09:17 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
I think theres something like 145 resales on the market. Just wondering if anyone sees a trend or is this normal with a large community???
I am remembering Stoney's comments from a year or so ago, that much of the turnover (ie resale listings) can be attributes to normal change-- the death of one or both spouses, the need to move into assisted living, decision to move elsewhere (like Florida), etc.

I also did a few calculations with the CarolinaPlantations data on homes built. The St James listing are about a 6% of its 2500 built homes, while the Brunswick Plantation listings are about 8% of its 800 built homes. Winding River is 6.5% of its 650 built homes. You could repeat the calculations with a few more if desired.

So, I think St James is doing well, and there is nothing negative about the figures.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:20 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Crazy question but maybe not. This past weekend while sitting on the beach up here in NJ We were sitting with the usual 6 couples we sit with every weekend and I was telling them how itchy we are to leave NJ and head down to SJP or Winding River, or Ocean Ridge Plantation. I have been trying to convince them to make a similar move for past 5-6 years. One of the couples asked us a question I really couldn't answer but thought i would ask the group. The question was one couple thought there appeared to be a lot of homes for sale in St James that are fairly new, not counting the spec homes by the builders. Indication was that a lot of people made the move there but it really didn't turn out to be as great as advertised. I just let the comment go but was wondering if the group had any insights . I think theres something like 145 resales on the market. Just wondering if anyone sees a trend or is this normal with a large community???

thanks
I don't think it is a crazy question at all. There could be many reasons........but I suspect health reasons would be #1, change of personal financial situation #2 which could be an effect of #1.

I don't think 145 resales in a community (don't think of it as a subdivision) that large is out of the question.

My aunt and uncle retired to Southport. They weren't there that long before my uncle died of a massive heart attack (no prior coronary issues). Auntie stayed as her daughter lived in Southport.

I cannot see any reason for anyone to stay in the Northeast upon retirement and have their savings and pensions sucked dry.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I don't think it is a crazy question at all. There could be many reasons........but I suspect health reasons would be #1, change of personal financial situation #2 which could be an effect of #1.

I don't think 145 resales in a community (don't think of it as a subdivision) that large is out of the question.

My aunt and uncle retired to Southport. They weren't there that long before my uncle died of a massive heart attack (no prior coronary issues). Auntie stayed as her daughter lived in Southport.

I cannot see any reason for anyone to stay in the Northeast upon retirement and have their savings and pensions sucked dry.

I think the 2 responses are right on. Thanks guys for your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina