Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 04:14 PM

93 posts, read 208,301 times

Advertisements

Based on what I have gotten from other sources, $20K is not a bad estimate for a full move of a 4 BR house with all the "stuff" we tend to accumulate over 30-40 years.

Anyone who remembers the late George Carlin will appreciate the "stuff" reference, but it never hurts to stroll down memory lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac&feature=kp

Gatorbyter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 08:51 AM

59 posts, read 137,636 times
On our last trip to SJP, we spent the entire time meeting with builders and touring model homes to find our perfect fit. We were surprised to learn that one of the biggest builders, Logan, does not include gutters as standard but it is an option. Has anyone that built with Logan not added gutters? What is your take on gutters v no gutters?

Old 06-17-2014, 09:02 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,513,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby310w View Post
On our last trip to SJP, we spent the entire time meeting with builders and touring model homes to find our perfect fit. We were surprised to learn that one of the biggest builders, Logan, does not include gutters as standard but it is an option. Has anyone that built with Logan not added gutters? What is your take on gutters v no gutters?
Never heard of a house or a builder who doesn't include "Gutters". Talk about nickle and diming someone, this is priceless....

Old 06-17-2014, 09:46 AM

13,390 posts, read 27,215,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Never heard of a house or a builder who doesn't include "Gutters". Talk about nickle and diming someone, this is priceless....
It is fairly common around here, and the back of our house does not have gutters. The front over the entrance does have them.

The sandy soil drains very quickly, and does not form puddles. With no basement, you don't have to worry about keeping water out of the basement.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:31 AM

6 posts, read 14,478 times
You might want to look just down the road in the Ocean Isle Beach, Sunset Beach area. You get the best possible location between Myrtle Beach to the South and Wilmington to the North. There are many nice communities in this area from the upscale Ocean Ridge Plantation to the Cottage style homes of The Cottages at OIB. Living in this area puts you about 30 minutes away from North Myrtle Beach and about 45 minutes from Wilmington. You are within 10 minutes of two of the states nicest beaches and with the town of Shallotte only 10 minutes away you have shopping, banking, dining and all kinds of city conveniences nearby. You can research a lot of information on these communities at their websites, such as thecottagesoceanislebeach.com and can just Google the other communities to find theirs. I would say the top 5 communities, in my opinion in the Ocean Isle Beach area are; Ocean Ridge Plantation, Sunset Ridge, The Cottages Ocean Isle Beach, Sea Trail and Rourk Woods. While there are many other communities, these are the 5 that seem to offer the best blend of HOA costs with community activities and amenities. I hope this helps...

Old 06-17-2014, 06:30 PM

383 posts, read 894,444 times
Logan used to have bundled pricing, so our house came with gutters. They then lowered the base price of the home and went to ala carte pricing. I like the gutters because I do not want water around the foundation.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 PM

93 posts, read 208,301 times
I went to contract with Logan Homes a bit ago and start construction next month. My home pricing did not include gutters (added them of course). Gutters, and the utility sink in the Laundry Room were about the only things that were not priced in the base contract that I would personally consider essential.

The peeps at Logan have been awesome/professional and I hope to have the same fine build experience with Logan Homes that so many on this forum have had.

Gatorbyter

Old 06-17-2014, 08:31 PM

158 posts, read 317,014 times
I appreciate all of the information regarding Logan Homes. At the moment, they are the builder I am targeting. Just wondering, how much did the utility sink cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbyter View Post
I went to contract with Logan Homes a bit ago and start construction next month. My home pricing did not include gutters (added them of course). Gutters, and the utility sink in the Laundry Room were about the only things that were not priced in the base contract that I would personally consider essential.

The peeps at Logan have been awesome/professional and I hope to have the same fine build experience with Logan Homes that so many on this forum have had.

Gatorbyter

Old 06-18-2014, 03:25 AM

383 posts, read 894,444 times
Hi Pilot,

I had Logan Homes install a free standing utility sink in my laundry room. The cost $350.00 a year ago. It is a good feature to have. My only question was whether to put it in the garage or laundry room and I opted for the Laundry room. Logan was great to work with and I found them to be a good choice.

Pony

Old 06-18-2014, 05:31 AM

39 posts, read 102,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzysellsnc View Post
You might want to look just down the road in the Ocean Isle Beach, Sunset Beach area. You get the best possible location between Myrtle Beach to the South and Wilmington to the North. There are many nice communities in this area from the upscale Ocean Ridge Plantation to the Cottage style homes of The Cottages at OIB. Living in this area puts you about 30 minutes away from North Myrtle Beach and about 45 minutes from Wilmington. You are within 10 minutes of two of the states nicest beaches and with the town of Shallotte only 10 minutes away you have shopping, banking, dining and all kinds of city conveniences nearby. You can research a lot of information on these communities at their websites, such as thecottagesoceanislebeach.com and can just Google the other communities to find theirs. I would say the top 5 communities, in my opinion in the Ocean Isle Beach area are; Ocean Ridge Plantation, Sunset Ridge, The Cottages Ocean Isle Beach, Sea Trail and Rourk Woods. While there are many other communities, these are the 5 that seem to offer the best blend of HOA costs with community activities and amenities. I hope this helps...

You might include Winding River Plantation in the above list, since it is about 5 miles from SJP. It falls under the radar since it is fully sold out, but there are over 100 lots and 39 homes for resale. About 60% of the lots have homes. I talked to several of the builders in SJP and they were willing to build in WRP. WRP is not a truly gated place and much more quiet than SJP. I guess if you like the activity and go go pace of the northeast, SJP is a good choice. SJP is beautiful, but expensive. If golf is not important to you, WRP total fees for pool, docks and beach and river houses are about $90 per month including HOA fees. The best plantation deal for those you don't play golf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina