Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times

Advertisements

Chud headed back to our summer rental in Stone Harbor. St James is in our future. How do you compare the beaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 09:49 AM

38 posts, read 84,067 times
Just became an official member of the forum, but have been a "passive observer" for quite a while. Always look forward to the Stonesters' posts, very informative and entertaining (a great combo). After having met the man and shared a fine stogie on the deck at Tommy's (with the ocean breeze caressing my balding head) during one of our visits to St. James, we succumbed to his powers of persuasion and purchased a lot. As has been said many times on previous posts, the people we met on our visits were very friendly and welcoming, and seemed to be more so when we said we were visitors. In our experience, a wonderful community.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:43 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,794 times
LakeEffect, Are you from the Chicago area?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:56 AM

38 posts, read 84,067 times
Biscman, not from the "windy city" but from near the "snowiest city" (in NY anyway)...Syracuse. Gotta love those Great Lakes in the winter. Just a couple more years.....

Old 07-02-2012, 04:20 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,560 times
Default Smoker's welcomed?

We are trying to decide between the Charleston, SC area and SJP.. One thing I've noticed from these posts is that smoker's don't seem to be treated like pirrarreah's ? as in many areas with all the increasingly non-smoking regulations taking over (no smoking on the beach, etc).

At least with all the cigar smoking I've read about going on..

Or are they?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:39 AM

556 posts, read 622,535 times
So, I have a question for all the recent transplants to St James. Did you attend the July 4th festivities in Southport?
If so, what did you think? Did it live up to your expectations?
I have my own stories from up north. Went to a friends BBQ. Had a great time, except that we had to leave before dark.
It becomes a combat zone then. My friends were dealing with youngsters shooting fireworks in front of their house. Seems the youngsters parents told them to get away from thier own home.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:51 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
My main man Canals.... went to a house BBQ about a hundred yards away.... just lovely... very hot and humid high 90's outside but still there was a breeze in the backyard off the large pond.... going into Southport to view the fireworks and / or festivities was not recommended by some "old timers" they say the traffic / crowds are completely crazy as it is supposed to be just about the biggest "4th of July festivities" in the entire Southland, attracting humungous hords of visitors for the day.... so at about 8PM we went out the back gate and over the new bridge and over to the St James beach place on 72nd Street and watched the fireworks with a clear view that Oak Island sets off from one of the piers..... then came home the same way.... just about zero traffic in either direction.

Maryjane..... as stated, we smoke cigars ( and / or cigarettes ) just as the laws down here allow, we do not get too many dirty looks from the few nanny-state types, but on occasion ( very FEW occasions ) some idiot ( sorry, but it is almost always a female and that was the way it was in NJ too... sorry again ) will try to use there pie hole for an unintended use and attempt, albeit in a squeaky non-smoking and non-healthy, snippy voice, to resrict our rights as tax paying citizens by coming over into the battlezone to vocalize their disdain and outright disgust at our behavior and the fragrant aroma eminating from our cigars that is being wafted up into the atmosphere, usually by a very brisk breeze at the waterfront or the marina which isn't even allowing the gragrant wisps to get anywhere there table ( which is usually the case with these types ).... we usually and "ahem" quite politely, remind yhem of exactly what OUR rights are and what THEIR rights are, in no uncertain terms mind you..... qand instruct them quite clearly just exactly where they can go !

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 07-05-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Chud headed back to our summer rental in Stone Harbor. St James is in our future. How do you compare the beaches?
A new member to this forum and we are very interested in SJP. Question? How is the beach during the summer? Is there sufficient parking for everyone at the beach club, especially in the am? I'm a beach person and parking is critical. We're visiting again in a few months for 2 nights, excited to see the community for the second time! Enjoy all the post too!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 AM

78 posts, read 199,674 times
We have been living at SJP for 3 weeks now and love it.The beach was an important factor for us also.Parking we have seen so far is usually not a problem,but July 4 week it was very crowded if you do not get there early.Longtime residents confirm that July 4 week is the busiest week of the summer.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 9,125 times
Thank you Texas Tim. We're visiting in early December for 2 nights, so looking forward to it...I loved the first visit ( around the whole complex for a few hours )and felt that sjp could be a good fit for us. More time is needed to experience everything sjp has to offer. Can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina