Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 07:02 PM

158 posts, read 316,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
I second that emotion, Ford's Fuel and Propane-Home ..... I used Campbell Propane on Rt 211 for another house and was quite unhappy with their service and install..... Ford's did everything they they promised for install and service... and on time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I've gotten excellent service from Ford's. Prompt, reliable and have online payment. I'm sure Mansfield is good, too. They installed a new heat pump at my house were great to deal with.
Stoney and Carolinadawg,

Thank you for your advice!

I did call both Campbell and Fords asking information. Both companies seemed pleasant enough. Both companies said that based on my propane appliances (fireplace, grill and future fire pit) recommended a 120 gallon tank.

I believe the following is correct:

Campbell offered a "Total Package" which included burial of the tank, hooking it up to the house and filling the tank with 96 gallons of propane for $900. The tank would be leased for $60 per year with the first year waived. In the following years the $60 fee would be waived if I used more than 80 gallons in a year. They are offering a 2-year lock-in price of $1.99/gallon.

Ford's leasing works differently. For the 120 gallon tank there is a one time leasing fee of $495 + $350 to bury the tank + a variable charge 6-8 $/ft (as high as $120) for the high pressure line. The cost to fill the tank was $1.99/gallon x 96 gallons ($191) for a total of $1,156.

Assuming I would pay the $60 leasing fee from Campbell, Ford's higher initial installation cost pays off in about 5 years. Of course there is a lot to be said for good customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 11:22 PM

805 posts, read 2,006,495 times
Money isn't everything... avoid Campbell.... they installed a USED tank and told me it was a new one that was promised in the contract.... when I discovered this I had to force them to dig it up and put a NEW one in and restore the lawn.... a word to the wise.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:52 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,506,827 times
Quick question for the group, I found out recently that my Landscaping allowance-package did not include lights fo the outside. Was wondering if any ne could recommend a Lighting Landscaper if that's what they are called.

Thanks in advance...

Old 07-29-2015, 01:42 PM

8,391 posts, read 4,383,697 times
I wasn't that happy with Fords.

They had a tendency to nickle and dime me it seemed. They installed a gas line for a kitchen stove that I did not ask for and they charged me for the parts.

I had to call them out to install a thermostat on the on-demand hot water heater that was supposed to be installed during construction which limited the install location.

I had a gas line installed to the patio area to be used for out door cooking and I had to ask them to bolt the outlet to the wall.

I never signed any kind of contract to keep the tank filled but they just showed up one day and started to fill the tank. Note that I bought and own the tank. If I had not been home at the time to stop them they would filled it and charged me a dollar more per gallon than I was able to buy it from another company. While the driver was there he made sure (a mild threat?) I knew I would have to pay a $75 delivery fee if he had to come back.

I was in the market for a new gas grill and they wanted to sell me a $4,000 grill. I said no thanks.

I can't say that they really did poor work, but for me their emphasis was more on the dollar than customer service.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:12 PM

805 posts, read 2,006,495 times
Well Ditchy.... here's the real skinny ( apparantly) just like politicians, they ALL suck to a certain extent, some may have a good experience with a company and someone else will have a bad experience with the same company. Maybe Trump can fix them all when he is president.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:03 PM

93 posts, read 207,875 times
I used Suburban Propane (also a Logan Home). Link is SuburbanPropane

Gatorbyter

Old 07-29-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbyter View Post
I used Suburban Propane (also a Logan Home). Link is SuburbanPropane

Gatorbyter
Gatorbyter,

Thanks for the link. My future next door neighbor has Suburban and they are happy with it.

I ended up talking to the salesman from Fords today. He happened to be in SJP so he drove over to my lot so he could give me an accurate estimate. He was quite knowledgeable and has already e-mailed the estimate and lots of other documentation to go through. I was told that their delivery trucks will come by from time-to-time and if the tank is under 60% filled, they will refill it up to 80%. The pros are that you should not run out of propane. The cons are that if you have half a tank and could wait until spring to refill the tank you end up paying more for propane than you had too.

Life would be just a little bit better if we had natural gas in SJP. And a Wegmans

Old 07-29-2015, 07:42 PM

383 posts, read 892,758 times
Does anyone know if the ARB has any issues with the Bridjet curb ramps to prevent your car from bottoming out? They are pretty expensive but it beats the cost of refacing my cars front facia.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Quick question for the group, I found out recently that my Landscaping allowance-package did not include lights fo the outside. Was wondering if any one could recommend a Lighting Landscaper if that's what they are called.

Thanks in advance...
Biscman,

Do you mean flood lights mounted on your house or the type of lighting people have in their flowerbeds to put a small spotlight back on the house or on a tree or flower bed? The reason I ask is that my future neighbor's just had the small spotlights installed when I was there this past Friday for my Pre-Drywall inspection and seemed quite happy with the people who installed the lights. If you want I could get the company's contact info for you.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:46 PM

383 posts, read 892,758 times
With Campbell they have the option where they monitor and fill the tank, or where I can monitor and call them to to fill. I opted for the latter. I did have some issues with the final bill (a few add ons for valves that were not disclosed). I negotiated with them and all is good. Not sure if the put in a new or used tank, but they own it and pressure test it, so I don't really care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina