Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 11:46 AM

8,400 posts, read 4,398,079 times

Advertisements

I live in a community that stacks up as follows:

POA Dues 790 year

For:
Water Park/kayak launch/pier/shelter/exercise trail/play ground
Beach Club/pool/parking/snack bar/restrooms/sitting area/Atlantic ocean
Reflection Park
Chapel
Library
Community gardens
Miles of walking/biking trails
Beautiful views of marsh lands/golf courses/ponds/lakes/ICW/immaculate landscaping
Fishing ponds
Street lighting
Trash/recycle/yard debris pick up
Restaurant board walk marina dining/Tiki bar overlooking marina
Amphitheater/out door concerts/beautiful lake/walking trail/play ground/rest rooms
2 dog parks/wash station
All kinds of clubs and special interest groups including biking/kayaking/cards/community service ..... more ... more ..more
Dedicated EMS and fire station (major insurance savings)
Diversified population with serious life skills that are friendly and easy to get along with (mostly ... there are always a few)
Many resources for communication and community updates/web sites/email/ magazine/bulletin boards ...for almost everything
7/24 security/gated entrances

All that for about a dollar a day per person based on 2 people. I should mention that everything is immaculately maintained and often updated.

In addition you can pay extra for 3 levels of club access that grants social, tennis or golf access. These amenities include 2 out door pools, 1 indoor, 3 fitness centers, I'm not sure how many tennis courts, and 91 holes of of golf, 4 club houses each with a pro shop and restaurant that provide all kinds of assorted activities through out the year.

In addition there is a marina with 270 wet slips and a 480 dry stack spots that can be rented or purchased on the ICW.

There are million dollar homes on the ICW, there are cottage communities and condos overlooking the marina, rental properties, summer/winter homes and most every thing in between that by in large co-exist well.

I have a friend in FFH and have been there a number of times. I love the canals and so many waterfront homes. I even considered buying, but some of the issues there were troublesome to me and I just didn't want to deal with it.

Most of this is just to show that some communities can grow and prosper with good management. I think part of keys to success are a good developer that keeps promises, and stays in control for as long as necessary. For FFH I get the impression at this point there are too many cooks in the kitchen and the main course is no longer clear with most everyone sitting out in the dinning room hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 06:07 PM

120 posts, read 234,807 times
Ditchoc, OK I give up, what is the name of the community? If it is in the VA/NC/SC area I know of only one in Myrtle Beach that is a candidate. I am also jealous of what you have, especially the attitude of the residents, as you described.

Pete Drez

Old 05-14-2015, 06:25 PM

126 posts, read 193,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDrez View Post
Ditchoc, OK I give up, what is the name of the community?

Pete Drez

Ditto

Old 05-14-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDrez View Post
Ditchoc, OK I give up, what is the name of the community? If it is in the VA/NC/SC area I know of only one in Myrtle Beach that is a candidate. I am also jealous of what you have, especially the attitude of the residents, as you described.

Pete Drez

Profile zip code is Morehead City.
I guess I drove through there on my way to check out Atlantic Beach.
Nice but I prefer the pace of Fairfield Harbour.

Last edited by 85SL; 05-14-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 02:41 AM

St James, just outside of Southport, NC

The town The Town of St. James, NC *

The community Explore the historic coastal town of Southport, NC

The clubs The Clubs at St. James Plantation - The Lifestyle

The POA https://stjamespoa.site-ym.com/

Old 05-15-2015, 05:07 AM

301 posts, read 480,592 times
Are there an additional costs for the use of fitness center; community pool and homeowner's pavilion? These are usually part of the POA dues of most Brunswick County "plantations". Most of the plantations charge extra fees for golf.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:31 AM

120 posts, read 234,807 times
Have overnighted at the St. James Marina a couple of time cruising on the ICW and found it to be an attractive stopover. My opinion is "choice" is a key element of what makes the community work. But, that is just a first impression, as I have few facts from discussions with the locals during my stays. For sure, the community I saw walking around was well maintained.

Pete Drez

Old 05-15-2015, 08:40 AM

As posted ... the longer list of amenities all fall under the POA, of significance, the waterway park, the amphitheater, the beach club with pool, dog parks, trash pick up .... are included with the POA dues. About a 2 dollars a day for a couple gets you this.

The clubs is owned by the developer and managed by Troon. The Clubs include the golf, tennis, pools, and fitness centers. Use of those, with out paying, requires membership. Most of these have daily fees or drop in fees if you prefer not to join. Guest privileges are fairly liberal. The restaurant at the marina is open to anyone though club members members get a discount. A social membership, at about $8 (includes POA) a day for a couple, gets you access to the clubs, the restaurants, swimming pools, and fitness centers.

If you want tennis and golf, that cost more. If you really love golf, at 91 holes, I guess it is worth it but to me it is a bit pricey. The monthly dues for golf membership are around $400 for a single and $500 for a family. Of course that includes everything, the pools etc. That's getting close to $20 a day (includes POA) for a couple.

The marina has a MOA or marina owners association with its own membership and dues. I am not fully informed of its operation but I understand that the condos that rent and overlook the marina play a part in the budget and the developer still has a significant stake in the marina. I gather that without the developer, the marina may operate at a loss but planning is on going to make it viable long term. Dues for owners of wet or dry storage is about $112 a month.

In all fairness, a very few of the sub-communities with in St James, mostly the condos, in addition to POA dues, also have HOA dues to maintain the condo exteriors and their own private pools etc. There are about 8 or 9 of these smaller communities within the larger St. James community and HOA dues seem to average about $1,500 a year.

So .. it is a bit of al-a-cart. If you golf, have a boat, and live in a condo, you could pay club membership dues, MOA, HOA and POA dues which could all add up to almost $30 a day or about $10K a year for a couple (includes everything). It would be like being on vacation all the time but you gotta pay to play.

In addition St James is an incorporated town, you can find it on the NC State map ... It has a mayor etc.

The town, the developer, the clubs, the POA, the MOA, the fire department and a lot of volunteers work together to make this 6,000 acre community work. So far it seems to be doing well.

If you are really interested in St James and it workings, there is a Comprehensive Plan PDF that does a pretty nice job of describing the basic structure and gives insight to its workings. I think anyone can see this at the following link:

http://www.townofstjamesnc.org/verti..._file_size.pdf

Sorry to hijack the FFH thread .... I like FFH .... I think it is one of the best values in NC for waterfront property .... I just like SJP better .....

Old 05-15-2015, 08:45 AM

St. James. Nice development. I can see why you like it. And the housing prices reflect it. I'd say 80% to 120% higher than Fairfield Harbour (maybe more). The difference in pricing certainly could supplement ones retirement.
One way or another we have to pay, No free rides.

Last edited by 85SL; 05-15-2015 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 08:49 AM

I still consider FFH to be undervalued. Just needs to get it's act together a little bit better.
The current economic conditions however aren't helpful. But then again economic conditions is why properties are selling for depressed pricing. That won't last forever. I live in hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina