Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 07:26 AM

120 posts, read 233,634 times

Advertisements

Two quick update items on life in Fairfield Harbour:

The waterfront restaurant and only restaurant within 2 to 3 miles, Food and Spirits, just shut down. Not clear at this point why, but they did recently receive a "C" health department rating. This is disappointing to me personally as my wife and I often gathered with friends for a good time and good food. BTW, prior health department ratings were "A". There was also a small grocery store across the parking lot from the restaurant that shut down. Net, besides a couple more vacant buildings, you definitely have to drive for food.

Second, as you may know the FFH POA uses a contract management group to run the community. The group is Community Association Services. This includes a Community Manager, who at least with me has now taken a far from professional approach to communications. When sent an email with a professionally worded question on an aspect of the operation of the community, I now receive a response that does not even address the question, with the final sentence stating that she considers the matter closed. Appears that the Community Manager even considers a POA written statement that they will violate the DORs, not worthy of a professional response. And that is just my most recent experience.

So, adding to the momentum into community oblivion, at least in my case, we can add a Community Manager with an attitude.

Pete Drez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 03:29 PM

Default A Suggestion

All seems quite as the 5/1/15 dues date approaches, and the election of two new Board members approaches. The current fiscal year dues money continues to flow out of here, much going to attorneys and the CAS management company, with little if anything being spent on tangible accomplishments. Many properties are for sale for anyone interested in the community.

Which brings me to a recommendation for all that may read this and are considering owning property in a planned community. Fairfield Harbour is managed by a contract firm named Community Association Services of North Carolina. This appears to be one of many regional businesses, may even be a franchise arrangement, the important point is they are in business in multiple states. My only experience is with the NC organization. Based on my opinion of that experience, I recommend that anyone that is contemplating buying property in a community managed by a business with CAS in their name, do your due diligence on the what you can expect in life with them as the management company. I would include due diligence of any management company involved in any community of interest to me. Hopefully, you will be pleased with what you discover, but my experience has been different in my specific circumstance.

BTW, when I bought and for 10 years we had local management that was good. Then came CAS and my experience changed. My preference is local management with local people at the helm. How things are done in Texas may be good for Texas, but I do not live in Texas.

Pete Drez

Old 05-04-2015, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,048 times
Hi Mr. Drez. I was considering looking into purchasing a house in FH, now I'm not sure after reading your posts.
JS

Old 05-05-2015, 05:58 AM

183 posts, read 326,515 times
I just moved in and I love it here.Everyone here is very kind and considerate and welcoming.It is a beautiful area and really quiet at night.I have no issues at all.I am not privy to all the legal issues that has gone on before and trying to catch up somewhat.All I know is that I love it.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:34 AM

126 posts, read 192,623 times
I'm hoping to close in a couple of weeks on a condo in FH. I wasn't overly concerned about the internal FH politics. It exists wherever you go, FH is like a town in itself.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:08 AM

183 posts, read 326,515 times
Big area but very nice .I like the fact that is close to amenities but far enough off the beaten track and very laid back

Old 05-07-2015, 08:23 AM

JS706, to buy in FFH or not is a question only you can answer. I have attempted to provide facts and a few opinions for others to use in their due diligence in making that decision.

Facts include annual POA dues more than doubling in the past five years with no discernable improvements for the membership, attorney expenses continue to waste our dues, according to the Zillow data, developed real estate prices are down 25% to 40%, with undeveloped lots taking the biggest hit at 50% or greater, since the highs in 2007/2008. There have been about 150 foreclosures or acceptance of property in lieu of debt by the POA in the past year or so. Will it turn around, I do not know.

On the life style side, there is a formal indoctrination team that courts all new resident property owners, with the apparent goal of convincing them to worship at the altar of the POA Board. My observation is it usually takes a couple of years for the new resident property owners to settle in on what is important to them and get past these PR folks. The good news from my observation is the number of resident POA members that are voicing serious unhappiness with the POA and CAS management is accelerating.

As for the individual people that reside in Fairfield Harbour, you will find many good and friendly folks. Most of these folks try to remain neutral on the situation and likely figure life is too short to waste it on such matters. But, even these folks are starting to take notice of the rising dues and the degree of secrecy within the POA and CAS, plus the continuing loss of real estate values.

My bottom line opinion is if you have to be near or on the water, or you are searching for very depressed real estate prices and are willing to put up with the ongoing unrest in the community, then Fairfield Harbour is worth considering. If water is not a priority I would do a lot of looking before settling on FFH.

Pete Drez

Old 05-07-2015, 09:27 AM

Well, that post certainly helped our values.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:50 AM

85SL, would you be a little more detailed in your comment. If you are getting ready to close on a FFH property, and did not know every subject I included, then shame on you for not doing your due diligence. If you knew everything I discussed and are buying property in FFH, what is your objection. I trust you are not suggesting that information relative to someone making a real property decision, who asked a question, should be mislead either directly or through omission!

Pete Drez

Old 05-07-2015, 11:49 AM

Au Contraire.

In anticipation of the "PR Folks" continued failure to overcome negative POA publicity, I will keep my eyes open for another good deal on what I find to be unique and undervalued waterfront properties in FFH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina