Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 01:26 PM

183 posts, read 326,795 times

Advertisements

Once again I am not informed enough to understand the total issues that did occur in the past.I will need more time and to attend quite a few meetings to get better informed.I have reached no conclusions other then to know in the past it seems Mid South totally destroyed part if not most of the amenities in the community.How to rectify that situation going forward is the main issue that I have gotten out of reading .My knowledge is limited so suggestions are not a strong point from me now.I purchased seeing great value and potential.I must believe that potential can be achieved.Being united in that goal is the only way.The division I see going forward needs to be repaired before real solutions to the problems are met.The question then is how do you create unity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 07:18 AM

120 posts, read 233,815 times
Folks, the information and opinions provided by Bogey1 are such a distortions of the truth and reality, I hope that this is an act of desperation to retain power by all the same people who trashed our community, and not a reflection of true beliefs. One key point to understand is Bogey1 is the mouthpiece for the current Board and has served the same purpose for prior Boards.

Bogey1 is the problem in our community, not in any way an asset in attempting to improve the community. You probably can sense this by the screen name, BOGEY1, someone that is addicted to golf and nothing else, except spreading the current Board doctrine.

Maybe a high level history of Fairfield Harbour as it relates to the amenities will help, versus the personal attacks by Bogey1. So, as is written, in the beginning, starting in the early 1990's the amenities were owned by the developer, Fairfield Communities. Fairfield Communities was on the verge of bankruptcy, and sought a buyer for the amenities. The POA sought to be that buyer, but legal restrictions in the DOR's prevented that. Thus the private LLC, Harbour Recreation Club was formed by some 600 members of the POA and the LLC purchased the amenities. This transaction included an unlawful $100,000.00 loan of POA dues to HRC. HRC then mismanaged the amenities until 1999 when the membership voted to sell the amenities rather than make further investment in the failing business. By this time Bogey1 was a member of HRC offering her input on how to resolve the HRC problems. HRC failed to keep the amenities afloat and by mid 1999 a buyer for the amenities was identified, Midsouth LLC. Midsouth became the owners of the amenities at the very end of 1999.

Almost immediately, the former members of HRC became a problem insisting that Midsouth operate the amenities to their demands. When Midsouth continued on their business model, primarily, former members of HRC boycotted the Midsouth amenities and just so happens that Bogey1 is credited with a leadership position in the boycott. As Midsouth saw the amenities getting in financial trouble as a result of the boycott, they pulled back on expenses by shutting down the various amenities. Over time all amenity services, except the marinas, were closed. The amenities became overgrown and took on the appearance of abandoned property. The Harbour Point golf course was reopened, I estimate in 2009. The amenities remain in this situation currently, complete with Midsouth reporting a $500,000.00 Harbour Point loss annually due to inadequate rounds being played by POA members.

In 2010 the POA Board decided that just because they had nine legal opinions that the POA could not buy the amenities, they did have one legal opinion that they could, and acted on that one opinion. There was a Superior Court decision, and two Court of Appeals decisions against the POA by the end of 2011. From that point forward there has been a small group endorsed by the Board, mostly former HRC members, including Bogey1, doing their very best to find a way for the POA to own the amenities and have funding provided by ALL Fairfield Harbour property owners, paying primarily for the cost of golf for 200 remaining golfers in the community.

Millions have been spent on attorney fees by the POA Board pursuing this goal. Meanwhile the entire community looks worse and worse as needed repairs, such a roads, get deferred. The news of the unrest in Fairfield Harbour has spread far and wide. As real estate prices drop owners loose interest in their property and cease making investments in maintenance and improvements. The result is a community that has the appearance of being neglected by most everyone.

So, to the question of electing new blood versus more of the same. I believe we understand the results that will be achieved with the election of two candidates that have already been on the BOD for years. New blood will provide hope for the community. And as you can see from the Beacon Bios the new blood has ideas, just not ideas that thrill Bogey1.

I hope this is helpful, although it is not complete with every detail. Every detail would make a thick book.

Pete Drez

Last edited by PeteDrez; 05-28-2015 at 07:40 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 08:34 AM

The two POA Board candidates that got my vote, have an open blog where they answer questions and state their position on community issues. As a reminder the candidates I chose are George and Jean Leslie and their blog may be accessed at "fhrunfortheboard.wordpress.com"

My request is that all read the blog that are interested, there is no password, etc. But, please do not post anything unless you are a property owner in Fairfield Harbour or are seriously interested in possibly becoming a property owner.

Pete Drez

Old 05-28-2015, 12:49 PM

126 posts, read 192,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDrez View Post
The result is a community that has the appearance of being neglected by most everyone.
Not having closed yet nor having lived in FFH, I cannot, nor am I interested in commenting on the history and politics of the FFH community. But I can comment on my own first hand observations. And in my humble opinion, FFH in no way reflects the statement quoted above. I have driven and or walked most of the FFH community west of Broad Creek Road and liked what I saw. One of the things that I do look for is signs that properties are being maintained. Aside from a hand full that obviously appeared to be vacant, the development looked immaculate. If it didn't, I never would have made an offer, and I certainly would not continue with my closing. And as for the hand full of observable vacant units, given the economy and the real-estate market you could say the same for nearly every community throughout the country, it is not exclusive to FFH. Just browse Zillow and mentally note how many vacant units are for sale out there.

Last edited by 85SL; 05-28-2015 at 01:09 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 01:24 PM

183 posts, read 326,795 times
My only suggestion after driving through the west side of Broad Creek would be trying to incorporate the golf course into usable green space.Maybe someday peace will exist and that can happen.It did look better then the last time I viewed it.85SL I agree that I only observed a handful of properties needing immediate attention but I have no idea if they are owned ,rented or in foreclosure

Old 05-28-2015, 01:56 PM

85sl, come on now. Did you review the communities of Greenbrier and Taberna in New Bern proper. Did you not see a magnitude of difference? How about River Bend? Let's try this. Name one or two planned communities in the New Bern area that had a inferior appearance to Fairfield Harbour. Name one or two communities that had cheaper real estate when properties are compared apples to apples. The market drives price. If real estate is cheaper in Fairfield Harbour, there is only one conclusion. People are willing to pay less for it than in other locations.

Pete Drez

Old 05-28-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDrez View Post
85sl, come on now. Did you review the communities of Greenbrier and Taberna in New Bern proper. Did you not see a magnitude of difference? How about River Bend? Let's try this. Name one or two planned communities in the New Bern area that had a inferior appearance to Fairfield Harbour. Name one or two communities that had cheaper real estate when properties are compared apples to apples. The market drives price. If real estate is cheaper in Fairfield Harbour, there is only one conclusion. People are willing to pay less for it than in other locations.

Pete Drez
Actually I looked at several listings in Riverbend and Trent Woods. There are multiple vacant units in both communities. Pricing was about the same or less than FFH for three bedroom houses (non direct waterfront). I opted to skip both communities as the majority had private septic systems that were 30 years old.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:06 PM

Also there are other variables such as in flood plane or not.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:53 PM

85sl, nice try, but not an answer to the question I asked, based on your rebuttal to my statement:

"The result is a community that has the appearance of being neglected by most everyone."

Based on your rebuttal I asked a very simple question:

"Name one or two planned communities in the New Bern area that had a inferior appearance to Fairfield Harbour."

May I have a response to that question.

Thanks

Pete Drez

Old 05-28-2015, 06:01 PM

85sl, just to confirm we are together at least 97% of the land associated with Fairfield Harbour is under the 100 year floodplain.

Pete Drez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina