Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:32 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,600 times

Advertisements

So we got Rice this weekend-- should be an interesting game to see how some of our new players stack up. Here is my prediction for the final score: Texas 56, Rice 7

Fun Fact: Texas has outscored Rice 448-139 in winning the past 10 meetings.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 01:28 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
So we got Rice this weekend-- should be an interesting game to see how some of our new players stack up. Here is my prediction for the final score: Texas 56, Rice 7
I predict Texas 52, Rice 10. Something about 52-10, I think we've ended up with that score more than a few times.

Interesting tidbit, this is a matchup of the top two universities in Texas ranked academically. Rice is #1 and Texas #2 in the state. Yet no special nickname or trophy for the matchup .

Old 09-02-2010, 08:00 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Texas has 4 football national titles 1963, 1969, 1970, 2005.

Count them again: Texas has 3 Big 12 championships, not 2. 1996 (first year of B12), 2005 and 2009

Sooner math grade: D-
(Sorry, had to drop you for the consecutive simple arithmetic errors)

A streak that is from 1953-1957. Must have gotten jinxed when they launched sputnik.

Yawn.

# Texas has the higher total winning pct in NCAA football, second to Michigan. Oklahoma is #8.

As for modern era, how about the last decade or so?

# Texas is the only football program to post at least 10 wins in every season since 2001.
# Texas is the only football program to post at least 9 wins in every season since 1998.
# Texas has won 4 out of the last 5 games vs. OU with wins in '05,'06, '08 and '09. Not to mention Texas holds the overall edge in the series, both since inception and in the modern era.
# Texas has the top-grossing program in all of college football, with a significant gap between itself and the #2 program. Honestly, isn't this how people REALLY keep score?

Math and business were never an OU strong suit. Still appears to be the case.
Nope. Try to play with the facts all you want, you can't change history. Oh how I know all you Shorthorns want to! You have issues with my math that is fine....I could care less. I would appreciate it if you try to read coherently, however. I said that the Horns have 3AP titles.

Your recognition of the 1970 title is weak = the National Football Foundation is not anywhere near as respected as the AP. Nebraska was undefeated that year and was awarded the AP title (Horns had 1 loss that year). The AP is the most respected polling system in the modern era. Go read up on it and get back to me. (The Sooners can "claim" something like 17 national titles along with the Irish and Bammer. We all know that the other polling systems are more regionally based and therefore very skewed.) The AP is nationally recognized/respected and the prime polling system for delineating the national champion. I know you Horns are totally comfortable with * by your stats/records/titles, etc....the rest of us at the top = Bammer, Sooners, Notre Dame, etc. we don't need the * to pad our stats. The Sooners are at the very top tier of football programs....the Horns would be a strong 2nd tier team. I'm not trying to dog on ya too much....it's just the facts. Simply, "it is what it is."

Yeh, I totally acknowledge the 2 Big 12 title error...I was actually working off an erroneous post earlier in the thread (see post #24) in which a Horn posted that. Read back through....it was FastFerrari. My bad. It's alway good to look at official websites and not trust a Horn to get it right. Our 6 Big 12 titles to your 3 is still a large gap, however.

Finally, you totally blew me away with Texas being the top grossing program in the nation. Man, I swear you Horns will grasp for anything. LOL.

Again, I do appreciate that your program had the wisdom to name your stadium after an Okie. If that is not irony then I do not know what is.

Just messin' with ya'll. No need to get all hateful. Just accept that OU will always be a superior football program and I think you'll probably be able to sleep a bit better at night.

Cheers.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,125,782 times
I want to see this new offense. I hear that Cody Johnson will make the start at RB beating out Whittiker, and Newton. Nice to see some comp in the backfield and maybe a 2 or 3 headed monster in terms of backfield. Does anyone know if they will show the spread again if the game goes 45-10 in the first half? I wanna see how Greg Davis, off coordinator, call some of these plays. I know the def secondary is gonna look real nice. Come on Saturday!!!

\m/
Hook 'Em!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Darren Carrol Image

Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Nope. Try to play with the facts all you want, you can't change history. Oh how I know all you Shorthorns want to! You have issues with my math that is fine....I could care less. I would appreciate it if you try to read coherently, however. I said that the Horns have 3AP titles.
I understood that, and I wasn't playing with the facts. I didn't say anything about AP titles, and no one cares. You posted a misleading stat and I corrected it with the only one that matters.

And BTW, scoreboard.

Quote:
Yeh, I totally acknowledge the 2 Big 12 title error...I was actually working off an erroneous post earlier in the thread (see post #24) in which a Horn posted that. Read back through....it was FastFerrari. My bad. It's alway good to look at official websites and not trust a Horn to get it right. Our 6 Big 12 titles to your 3 is still a large gap, however.
You are right about checking the facts first... oh, did I mention scoreboard?

Quote:
Finally, you totally blew me away with Texas being the top grossing program in the nation. Man, I swear you Horns will grasp for anything. LOL.
It's just another way to measure the greatness that is the Longhorns. I'm not even bringing up academics, national championships in other sports, superior location, etc... cause you don't even want to go there.

Oh, and scoreboard. Did I mention we won 4 out of the last 5 against the Sooners? I think I did. Did I mention we're within striking distance of the position of #1 winningest program in all college football ever? How many 9 or 10 win seasons have the Sooners had in a row? Oh yeah, zero.

Quote:
Again, I do appreciate that your program had the wisdom to name your stadium after an Okie. If that is not irony then I do not know what is.
Just messin' with ya'll. No need to get all hateful. Just accept that OU will always be a superior football program and I think you'll probably be able to sleep a bit better at night.
No worries, it's just football scoreboard. Er, I mean smack.

You'll have your chance again in October. Til then, best to pipe down about the Sooners... especially with your record last season.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:21 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,125,782 times
Fact - Texas has been ranked in the AP poll for a school record and NCAA best 158 straight weeks!

Fact - Y(ou)SUCKS!!!

Fact - For the fifth straight year, the Longhorns led the Collegiate Licensing Company's annual list of top-selling colleges. Texas made $10.15 million in royalties on branded merchandise from July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010.

Last edited by FastFerrari; 09-02-2010 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 04:24 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I hate the Horns cuz I hate Texans. Hope you lose every game.
Wow...hope you combust in hades...

What a great attitude. Must be an east coaster.

I hear good things about our defense this year which surprised me given the personnel that left. Should be fun!

Last edited by stan4; 09-02-2010 at 04:58 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,604,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Fact - Texas has been ranked in the AP poll for a school record and NCAA best 158 straight weeks!

Fact - Y(ou)SUCKS!!!

Fact - For the fifth straight year, the Longhorns led the Collegiate Licensing Company's annual list of top-selling colleges. Texas made $10.15 million in royalties on branded merchandise from July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010.
Fact- 3 years ago you were yelling Go Blue!

For you and all of the other bandwagon * fans that forgot (or doesn't know) how soft saxet was only a short time ago. This one never gets old.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I understood that, and I wasn't playing with the facts. I didn't say anything about AP titles, and no one cares. You posted a misleading stat and I corrected it with the only one that matters.

And BTW, scoreboard.

You are right about checking the facts first... oh, did I mention scoreboard?

It's just another way to measure the greatness that is the Longhorns. I'm not even bringing up academics, national championships in other sports, superior location, etc... cause you don't even want to go there.

Oh, and scoreboard. Did I mention we won 4 out of the last 5 against the Sooners? I think I did. Did I mention we're within striking distance of the position of #1 winningest program in all college football ever? How many 9 or 10 win seasons have the Sooners had in a row? Oh yeah, zero.

No worries, it's just football scoreboard. Er, I mean smack.

You'll have your chance again in October. Til then, best to pipe down about the Sooners... especially with your record last season.
Nope. Not misleading in the least....I listed exactly what the stat is = OU's 7 AP titles to Horns' 3 AP titles. I also showed you why your inclusion of the 1970 title is weak....most knowledgeable football fans would agree that the National Football Federation is not anywhere near on the level of the AP poll....the primary and most important polling system of the modern era. I know the Horns prefer *s by your stats and that is fine....just don't expect anyone else to respect it or recognize it. The Bottom Line is this: while Texas has had its good share of great seasons (a great accomplishment) OU simply has had more superior seasons compared to the Horns....4 more to be exact, evidenced by our 4 more AP titles. The best programs are measured by championships....not 10/11 win seasons that fall just short.

Glad you're not bringing up academics...I think it is quite relevant that you are a Bookworm since this happens to be a football thread. How about this: I can dominate you in discussions about college football pertaining to OU's dominance in terms of tradition/history over the Horns and you can beat me in a math quiz. Congrats and good job, Son. I win on the football and you win on the math. Good, it's settled.

Oh, Sooners can't pipe down....we're the Sooners, essentially college football's most celebrated program based on the facts of history/tradition. It's in our DNA not to be humble based on the greatness of our program and being at the very highest of college football's top tier echelon. Of course the Horns would'nt know anything about that since you're not at the top tier with the Big Boys. Your accomplishments in football are certainly great, they're just not superior as OU's are. I know this eats at ya'll because you just can't change it....oh well. You've got all those championships in all those other important sports.

Finally, I think it is highly commendable that the Horns have had good success the last few years against the Sooners. Last year, well Bradford goes down and we lose by 3 in one of the sloppiest games ever. The year before the Sooners lose in a close one and....I absolutely love this....the Sooners are still Big 12 South champs (hahahaha....shows the respect for the Sooner's tradition/SOS) and then OU destroyed Missouri in the Big 12 Championship. Great job on winning the last few years. I'm looking forward to October; I think it could be a great game.....both teams have solid D's.

One last thing: Enjoy watching the Horns in Okie Memorial Stadium....um...I mean Darrell Royal Memorial Stadium.

All in fun fellas. Cheers.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Fact- 3 years ago you were yelling Go Blue!

For you and all of the other bandwagon * fans that forgot (or doesn't know) how soft saxet was only a short time ago. This one never gets old.
If I was a Horn I would want to forget that game too, NeverGoingBack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football