Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,361 times

Advertisements

I am sorry - I know this post is very old - I stumbled across it and for whatever reason - perhaps due to my lack of intelligence felt compelled to highlight a portion of your defense...

"students like myself support the university, are proud to don the school insignia, and have no need to defend the education." - You

Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,175 times
Default AMU is a good school!

This is an old thread, but as someone with a lot of experience with AMU I thought I would offer some real advise. Okay, for everyone posting on here stating that they will not hire someone with an online degree do not know what they are talking about. Most of these people are trying to undermine online schools to make themselves feel better, or are just stuck in time. Online schools are the norm now! My husband works with someone who graduated from Yale, and I am almost certain my husband is far more intelligent because he is an avid reader and has real world experience. Also, most schools, even Ivy League schools, have been dominated by specific liberal agendas and do not offer a well-rounded education, like you would think. Most of what is thought in the humanities sector is feminist ideology and gender studies. This is what my husband has found when speaking to people from these types of schools. The school you go to may be stamped with a brand name, but it does not signify a thing without motivation. My husband completed his degree through AMU in History and is now almost done with his Master's program at an Honor's College. He has no problem finding a job in his field. I am finishing my degree through AMU as well in Environmental Science. My experience has been great. The school is writing and reading intensive. If you think you can get by cheating, think again. It will catch up to you because you can tell when someone does not know what they are talking about. This is the same with any school you go to. Some code of honor is necessary. If I wanted to I would also have time to take up an internship along with my studies. It is the same anywhere you go. Success is determined by the amount of effort and dedication you put in. If you choose to slack off, then it will eventually catch up to you and people will know. My husband, on his spare time, does his own research and had almost 10 years of military experience (Intel). He's extremely brilliant and had gotten excepted to Flager College in Florida, but chose AMU. All of the skills and research you have time to acquire counts more than anything! Do not be fooled. AMU professors are experts in their field, and are not teachers stuck in academia for all of their lives like many professors at traditional schools. As far as the quality of students, it does get a lot better once you reach the 300 level courses and up. In my opinion, it is the same anywhere else. When I went to a traditional school in Texas to complete my associates, the students were far more immature and were not as studious at the freshman and sophomore level. Most of the students at AMU are intelligent and know what they are talking about. Also, because most AMU students are working professionals and have families they tend to have a lot more wisdom and knowledge to bring to the table. My husband does not regret going here, and neither do I. Take every advise with a grain of salt, but don't buy the lies that online schools are bad. Even Harvard offers online programs.

Last edited by MVW_1984; 08-18-2014 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: clarify

Old 08-18-2014, 08:18 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
The number of posters responding to this thread with a post count of 1 is rather high, let alone those with 2-5 posts.

While there are some great discussions within this thread, it also seems to be a magnet for the spambots.

Perhaps it is time to shut it down?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:54 AM

37 posts, read 79,031 times
I'm also an AMU student working on a History degree. The program works for me as I'm constantly gone training or deploying.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,040 times
It's a paper mill degree school requiring minimal work. If that is what you're looking for, then great. However, remember that most employers will keep this in mind, as well.

Getting into AMU requires no SAT or GRE scores, and everyone is accepted. It is a for profit school that holds national and regional accreditation, just like the University of Phoenix Online.

Also, AMU employs a great deal of people that cross-reference their name on constant internet searches on a daily basis. This is why you will constantly see so many people with little to no previous posts, suddenly claiming to have graduated from the institution, pushing the organization. I liken them to used-car salesmen.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:46 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
AMU resigned its national accreditation a couple of years ago. It's just an unnecessary expense once you have the more widely-accepted regional accreditation. University of Phoenix is only regionally accredited with some programmatic accreditations. AMU has a couple of programmatic accreditations. AMU is neither as predator nor as nearly expensive as University of Phoenix.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:18 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
AMU is neither as predator nor as nearly expensive as University of Phoenix.
AMU is just as bad as UoP. They prey on uneducated military personnel and bilk the government for millions through the use of TA.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:02 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
AMU is just as bad as UoP. They prey on uneducated military personnel and bilk the government for millions through the use of TA.
AMU is less than one-half the cost of UoP and a little less than the in-state tuition rates at the average state university. At the undergraduate level, they don't charge for books. Not only are state universities being subsidized to keep their tuition rates that low, but they also collect state and federal grants, subsidized loans, and military aid. They probably don't receive as much military aid as AMU, but they are still receive a lot more tax money. UoP recruits brain-damaged veterans. I don't think it could get much worse than that.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,839 times
Ok, I this is an old thread but I was just looking around and found myself entertained. First of all, I am a current student at AMU. Although it is accredited, by no means is this a degree that I feel is adequate using anywhere outside of where I am currently employed (state corrections). The thing about AMU is at the price, it's difficult to pass up. I was talking to an advisor from Arizona State about two days ago. I thought it was funny because as soon as I finished my application (without paying for it) my phone was ringing (in for-profit form). Behold, a recruiter that is more than willing to hold my hand through the entire process (but that only exists in for-profit entities). I signed up for the Religious Studies program and what I found a little off is that while AMU and Arizona are both accredited by the same agency. Arizona (and almost all other state schools) charges almost double what AMU charges per credit and the kicker is that the curricular is the same for that major. They were also more than willing to transfer my credits into their program. The advisor also mentioned that plenty of AMU students transfer to ASU. So I cannot agree that a degree from AMU is entirely worthless.

Now, I have to ask myself. What would make more sense to a student on a budget? Sure, Arizona State would look great while trying to promote or when obtaining future employment (hell even on my wall). The thing is, it's probably more about myself and what I have accomplished while taking the time to earn a degree. Would I rush into a Fortune 500 with it, no way. However for state employment it's not a bad choice since it is accredited.

All considered, I am still going to transfer to another school simply because I want to. From my experience in taking classes with them is that there are good and bad instructors. Also, while A's are not automatic, it is definitely difficult to fail. There are some instructors that take the job seriously and others that don't seem to care. I have had a decent instructor about 80% of the time. I have taken classes with Liberty as well and would advise people to steer clear of that Christian madrasa. I would suggest most Christian universities as they typically have low tuition rates. If someone is looking for a decent state school, they should consider Fort Hays State. I believe they charge $189 per credit hour.

MY FIRST POST!

PEACE OUT!!!

Old 11-02-2014, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinz36 View Post
Ok, I this is an old thread but I was just looking around and found myself entertained. First of all, I am a current student at AMU. Although it is accredited, by no means is this a degree that I feel is adequate using anywhere outside of where I am currently employed (state corrections). The thing about AMU is at the price, it's difficult to pass up. I was talking to an advisor from Arizona State about two days ago. I thought it was funny because as soon as I finished my application (without paying for it) my phone was ringing (in for-profit form). Behold, a recruiter that is more than willing to hold my hand through the entire process (but that only exists in for-profit entities). I signed up for the Religious Studies program and what I found a little off is that while AMU and Arizona are both accredited by the same agency. Arizona (and almost all other state schools) charges almost double what AMU charges per credit and the kicker is that the curricular is the same for that major. They were also more than willing to transfer my credits into their program. The advisor also mentioned that plenty of AMU students transfer to ASU. So I cannot agree that a degree from AMU is entirely worthless.

Now, I have to ask myself. What would make more sense to a student on a budget? Sure, Arizona State would look great while trying to promote or when obtaining future employment (hell even on my wall). The thing is, it's probably more about myself and what I have accomplished while taking the time to earn a degree. Would I rush into a Fortune 500 with it, no way. However for state employment it's not a bad choice since it is accredited.

All considered, I am still going to transfer to another school simply because I want to. From my experience in taking classes with them is that there are good and bad instructors. Also, while A's are not automatic, it is definitely difficult to fail. There are some instructors that take the job seriously and others that don't seem to care. I have had a decent instructor about 80% of the time. I have taken classes with Liberty as well and would advise people to steer clear of that Christian madrasa. I would suggest most Christian universities as they typically have low tuition rates. If someone is looking for a decent state school, they should consider Fort Hays State. I believe they charge $189 per credit hour.

MY FIRST POST!

PEACE OUT!!!
You referenced two different schools, Arizona and Arizona State. I'm assuming that you meant Arizona State, since that is the most frequently referenced school in your post. They do not accept credits from AMU. I read some other nonsense on a thread not too long ago where someone referred to FSU accepting credits from AMU. This is not the case, I called and confirmed this, and anyone else can if they are interested as well. 1-855-278-5080

There is no easy way out when it comes to getting a real degree, and AMU only offers Fools Gold. As "Education Inc." keeps growing with more of these online schools, it's only a matter of time before the whole system crashes and all of the degrees from these "schools" become null and void.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities