Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 AM

774 posts, read 1,694,379 times

Advertisements

I've never seen a thread on CD in more desperate need of moderation.

A simple survey of originating IPs would be illuminating, I'd wager.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:17 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
I've never seen a thread on CD in more desperate need of moderation.

A simple survey of originating IPs would be illuminating, I'd wager.
Why? Who cares. It's just debating.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,295 times
The people that ridicule others for getting an online degree, are those that didn't get their degree online or don't have a degree at all. If you had two ways to make a million dollars, wouldn't you have the common sense to choose the easier way? Employers look at the paper and for accredation. Plus, they want someone with experience. Brick and mortar master's degree... no time to work, while doing school. I developed a plan, followed it, and now I'm successful. AMU is a great school, because it involves more classroom participation than the original brick and mortar. Why commute an hour to a classroom, when all your teacher has plannned is a video for the day? In addition, it shows I didn't need mommy and daddy to push me through college with a free dorm and living expense. I have 4 years in the marines, attended 3 Universities, graduated with a BA at AMU, and currently moving up in a civil service department. All I had was a GED, but I bounced back. Now I'm about to tackle a Master's and possibly going to attend southern Poly technical college online. I guess southern poly is a bad school, because they have online degrees too.. right?

Old 05-27-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles5150 View Post
The people that ridicule others for getting an online degree, are those that didn't get their degree online or don't have a degree at all. If you had two ways to make a million dollars, wouldn't you have the common sense to choose the easier way? Employers look at the paper and for accredation.
Not true. I ridicule online degrees because I see the caliber of student they put out and it's not good. They lack basic skills that a college grad should have. If you think employers don't care, well that's your opinion but I can promise you they do.

Quote:
Plus, they want someone with experience. Brick and mortar master's degree... no time to work, while doing school. I developed a plan, followed it, and now I'm successful. AMU is a great school, because it involves more classroom participation than the original brick and mortar.
Do online students just say nonsense? There's plenty of classroom discussion required in some classes.

Quote:
Why commute an hour to a classroom, when all your teacher has plannned is a video for the day? In addition, it shows I didn't need mommy and daddy to push me through college with a free dorm and living expense.
I didn't have mommy and daddy push me through either. I paid it on my own. Not every class has a video every day.

Quote:
I have 4 years in the marines, attended 3 Universities, graduated with a BA at AMU, and currently moving up in a civil service department.
That's great. I did two tours in the Navy. I'm in the GS world now. The higher up you go, the more they care about your degree.

Quote:
Now I'm about to tackle a Master's and possibly going to attend southern Poly technical college online. I guess southern poly is a bad school, because they have online degrees too.. right?
Well, it's not a flagship uni.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 11,024 times
Ok Ok I have to get in on this thread as a current AMU student who is going to finish my MBA there. The school is a freaking joke compared to a "real MBA". But here is the deal... it is what you make of it.

1. I am a GS-14 Auditor and I hold a CIA, CGFM and CFE certification and I have worked in private industry at one of the BIG 4 Accounting Firms and in Management at two top fiancial institutions in their accounting departments.
2. I graduated from a top 50 B school with a BS in Acct (3.2)
3. I need 150 cerdits to get my CPA license in my state, so I looked at AMU.... but oh no it is not AACSB accredited and the MS in Accouting does not even have the ACSBP or whatever that secnd rate accredidation is so I went with the MBA which does have that second tier accredidation (better than nothing right??). The Gov pays for my classes I graduate with an MBA that I might even put on my resume and will also have a CPA license as soon as I am done.

Do you think I am doomed with all of my credentials because I went to AMU.... you're fooling yourself. Do you think with your MBA from an AACSB and because you went to some Northwest Central State University that is AACSB accredited that you will be hired over me without the same credentials???? Give me a damn break. AMU is what you make of it and what you use it for. If you have an illusion that you are going to get a BS degree from AMU and then a Masters and land a job with a Fortune 500 firm in managment well then you are probably in my classes right now.... because I see that 95% of the people taking these MBA classes are idiots and I get sick to think that they pass when I put the real work in. I always go above and beyond and am getting A's .... big deal you should see the dolts I talk to that get A's. The school is a joke. I plan on applying for and going to another university (online) because I work and my state has one flagship university that I went to and a bunch of smaller colleges that are not worth much more than AMU and I am going to get a MHA..... So take it from me, unless you have a plan this school is not going to open any doors. Maybe Walmart Cashier Manager but don't kid yourself. Oh and to all you Poli Sci, History and BS majors out there..... when I come through I want milk with one sugar in my coffee... Please like you are going to what get your doctorate online next and teach at a respectable university.... YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!! You will be the next round of UofP and AMU professors who spent 100K on an education and make 30K a year teaching online. Don't like the facts stop reading.....

Old 05-31-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GubmintAudit View Post
Ok Ok I have to get in on this thread as a current AMU student who is going to finish my MBA there. The school is a freaking joke compared to a "real MBA". But here is the deal... it is what you make of it.

1. I am a GS-14 Auditor and I hold a CIA, CGFM and CFE certification and I have worked in private industry at one of the BIG 4 Accounting Firms and in Management at two top fiancial institutions in their accounting departments.
2. I graduated from a top 50 B school with a BS in Acct (3.2)
3. I need 150 cerdits to get my CPA license in my state, so I looked at AMU.... but oh no it is not AACSB accredited and the MS in Accouting does not even have the ACSBP or whatever that secnd rate accredidation is so I went with the MBA which does have that second tier accredidation (better than nothing right??). The Gov pays for my classes I graduate with an MBA that I might even put on my resume and will also have a CPA license as soon as I am done.

Do you think I am doomed with all of my credentials because I went to AMU.... you're fooling yourself. Do you think with your MBA from an AACSB and because you went to some Northwest Central State University that is AACSB accredited that you will be hired over me without the same credentials???? Give me a damn break. AMU is what you make of it and what you use it for. If you have an illusion that you are going to get a BS degree from AMU and then a Masters and land a job with a Fortune 500 firm in managment well then you are probably in my classes right now.... because I see that 95% of the people taking these MBA classes are idiots and I get sick to think that they pass when I put the real work in. I always go above and beyond and am getting A's .... big deal you should see the dolts I talk to that get A's. The school is a joke. I plan on applying for and going to another university (online) because I work and my state has one flagship university that I went to and a bunch of smaller colleges that are not worth much more than AMU and I am going to get a MHA..... So take it from me, unless you have a plan this school is not going to open any doors. Maybe Walmart Cashier Manager but don't kid yourself. Oh and to all you Poli Sci, History and BS majors out there..... when I come through I want milk with one sugar in my coffee... Please like you are going to what get your doctorate online next and teach at a respectable university.... YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!! You will be the next round of UofP and AMU professors who spent 100K on an education and make 30K a year teaching online. Don't like the facts stop reading.....
Interesting perspective. GS-14 is high. How long did it take you to get there?

The problem is I see people who go there for undergrad and think they're going to end up with a high GS job like you (where you have a legit undergrad from a good school).

I can't count the number of Navy guys I knew that thought they were going to the CIA/State Department/GS position/Whatever high paying job with their AMU undergrad.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
That's great. I did two tours in the Navy. I'm in the GS world now. The higher up you go, the more they care about your degree.

You are in the GS world now??? You proud of that?? So am I and I made more at 27 then I do at 35 as a GS-14.... What GS level are you LMAO
I like working for the government. Obviously it has some benefit to you too otherwise you wouldn't have went for it.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Interesting perspective. GS-14 is high. How long did it take you to get there?

The problem is I see people who go there for undergrad and think they're going to end up with a high GS job like you (where you have a legit undergrad from a good school).

I can't count the number of Navy guys I knew that thought they were going to the CIA/State Department/GS position/Whatever high paying job with their AMU undergrad.
I was hired as a GS-13 and within 1 year I was promoted to GS-14. It was a GS13/14 position.... I hope that you did not think CIA was the agency it means Certified Internal Auditor

Old 05-31-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I like working for the government. Obviously it has some benefit to you too otherwise you wouldn't have went for it.
I deleted that message because it is hot and I was annoyed at the thread and the BS... I would never put down a fellow service member. Best to you... I did not think you would respond before I could delete.... ah one of the benefits you are probably at work right now

Old 05-31-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I was hired as a GS-13 and within 1 year I was promoted to GS-14. It was a GS13/14 position.... I hope that you did not think CIA was the agency it means Certified Internal Auditor
No, I mean I had guys that worked for me that swore their intelligence studies degree from AMU was actually going to get them into the Central Intelligence Agency. Dead serious.

Quote:
I deleted that message because it is hot and I was annoyed at the thread and the BS... I would never put down a fellow service member. Best to you... I did not think you would respond before I could delete.... ah one of the benefits you are probably at work right now
Ha no worries. I'm glad you made AMU work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities