Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 06:31 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Ummm, Homeland Security is a common degree offered by traditional, non-profit colleges as a major and minor/concentration.
Actually it's not. It's not common at all.

Quote:
Intelligence Studies is often offered as a minor or concentration in political science and international relations programs.
Some programs (like GWU), offer it has a concentration.

Quote:
AMU's limit on transfer credits is the same as most colleges
Not even close. The guy went there to get max transfer credits.

Quote:
and they do not accept an unlimited number of CLEPs. Approximately 25% of the degree has to be taken in residence.
Did you read the guys post? It's a joke.

Quote:
You were in the military and you don't know anything about homeland security and intelligence degrees?
Actually I do. My brother has a BA and MA and works as an intelligence officer. I worked closely with the intelligence community. They don't take the degree serious. They prefer and seek traditional PoliSci degrees or people with foreign languages.

It's a relatively new major that was recently created. I haven't seen many top colleges offer the degree.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Actually it's not. It's not common at all.
I already showed proof that it's common. The government lists colleges that offer it. It's a fairly new major, but AMU did not make it up. Obviously, if the government is making a list, then it has some interest in the field.

Quote:
Not even close. The guy went there to get max transfer credits.
There is a difference between how many credits a college will accept at a maximum and how many credits will actually be accepted after an evaluation. AMU's policy is that you can transfer up to 91 credits. It is common for colleges to have a 25% residency requirement. AMU is really not the college to go to for max transfer credits. There are three other colleges known for accepting almost 100% transfer and they are all non-profits.

Quote:
Did you read the guys post? It's a joke.
What does that have to do with your misinformation?

Quote:
Actually I do. My brother has a BA and MA and works as an intelligence officer. I worked closely with the intelligence community. They don't take the degree serious. They prefer and seek traditional PoliSci degrees or people with foreign languages.

It's a relatively new major that was recently created. I haven't seen many top colleges offer the degree.
Yes, I know that the intelligence field prefers degrees in political science, national security studies, and international relations. One can see that by looking at the job openings posted by agencies like the CIA. But to say that AMU made up the major is a lie. There were colleges offering the subject before AMU. If you knew the degrees existed, then why would you say that AMU made them up?

I see people say all the time that they attended UoP, Devry, Kaplan, etc. because they were the only colleges that offered a degree online in their field. It's usually not true. They just didn't do their research.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
The maximum transfer credit award possible toward a bachelor's degree is 91 semester hours.
Nontraditional transfer credit cannot exceed 30 semester hours (25%) of a total 121 or 122 semester hour program.

Nontraditional credit includes AP, CLEP, DSST, Excelsior exams, etc. That means that AMU does have a limit on how many CLEP credits can be used and it's 30 semester hours.

What's Accepted-Undergraduate

Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM

It's not worth arguing over anymore. I really don't feel like pulling stats from higher ranked colleges that don't take huge amounts of transfer credits.

Answer this, after reading that guy's post, can you honestly say that it's a good school and education? The guy basically admits to hardly doing anything and passing.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
It's not worth arguing over anymore. I really don't feel like pulling stats from higher ranked colleges that don't take huge amounts of transfer credits.

Answer this, after reading that guy's post, can you honestly say that it's a good school and education? The guy basically admits to hardly doing anything and passing.
I never attended, so I don't have a personal opinion on the college. But every time you're wrong about something, you resort to what higher ranked colleges do. It doesn't matter. Most people don't attend top 20 colleges; it doesn't make the others illegitimate. You were wrong about AMU making up degrees, you were wrong about AMU having no limit on CLEP acceptance, and you made it seem as if AMU's credit transfer policy was way out of the norm.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I never attended, so I don't have a personal opinion on the college. But every time you're wrong about something, you resort to what higher ranked colleges do. It doesn't matter. Most people don't attend top 20 colleges; it doesn't make the others illegitimate. You were wrong about AMU making up degrees, you were wrong about AMU having no limit on CLEP acceptance, and you made it seem as if AMU's credit transfer policy was way out of the norm.
Where have I done that until now?

It's pointless to argue about.

AMU takes an unusually high number of CLEP courses, they award you credits for military training and other things that aren't university level learning.

No one can honestly read the guy's post and claim it's a good education or even equivalent to a regular bachelors.

You seem more concerned with proving me wrong versus proving that the school is legitimate.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Where have I done that until now?

It's pointless to argue about.

AMU takes an unusually high number of CLEP courses, they award you credits for military training and other things that aren't university level learning.

No one can honestly read the guy's post and claim it's a good education or even equivalent to a regular bachelors.

You seem more concerned with proving me wrong versus proving that the school is legitimate.
A lot of colleges award credit for military training. He is just one poster. You can't seriously form an opinion of an organization just by one person's experience. You can find plenty of other reviews where people were satisfied with AMU. I don't like UoP, but there are others who think it's a great school. However, my opinion of UoP has more to do with my personal experience with its parent company, the Apollo Group. I have no personal experience with APUS and neither do you.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
A lot of colleges award credit for military training.
Not really. They'll give you a few credits but they usually don't count towards a degree program.

[/quote]I have no personal experience with APUS and neither do you.[/quote]

I've worked with quite a few grads from AMU when I was in the military. 95% of them were terrible in academics when we were at schools designed for college graduates. They simply didn't have the education that should have came from a real university.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Not really. They'll give you a few credits but they usually don't count towards a degree program.

I've worked with quite a few grads from AMU when I was in the military. 95% of them were terrible in academics when we were at schools designed for college graduates. They simply didn't have the education that should have came from a real university.
Which school did you attend so that I can use you to form my opinion of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.