Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 07:10 AM

455 posts, read 1,397,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkr501 View Post
You are right that CTC and UMUC both offer classes in Afghanistan, but do they accommodate shift workers? Of course you are right that there are B&M schools that offer online classes and degree programs, but what if they don't offer the degree program that I want to pursue? What if they don't accept all of my CCAF credits?

I've looked around. There are few B&M schools that offer an online degree in logistics management and even fewer that will take all or even most of my CCAF beyond the general education requirements. Liberty (I just looked) doesn't offer an online logistics or transportation program for instance. So I can either change my major and basically start from scratch or keep doing what I am doing.

It all comes down to what you want to do and what options are out there to get it done. For me, I want my degree in logistics management. AMU has a partnership with the Air Force and due to the fact that my AAS from the Air Force aligns with my BA program, AMU will accept all of my credits per their agreement. Rutgers will not. Embry Riddle will not. MIT and other such schools are way too expensive for TA to cover, even without out of state costs in consideration. Penn state is a 3 hour drive from my house, not doing that every day after 12-14 hours of work because that becomes an 18 hour day plus time for homework (zero sleep).

I'm not saying that you are wrong, I am just saying that it should be kept in consideration that not every school has a degree plan for everyone and not every school takes military credits. If AMU weren't regionally accredited or if more schools had to capacity to meet my needs, then by all means I would look elsewhere.
Was bored so I looked at a couple of schools on the AF link I provided in my last post. Park Uni might also have something your interested in.

Park University
Bachelor of Science - Management/Logistics
Business Management and Logistics Degree Online at Park University

2. Park University at Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota. Served by Detachment 610. Park University offers a wide range of majors (Criminal Justice Administration, Social Psychology, Management, Management/ Computer Information Systems, Management/Accounting, Management/ Health Care, Management/Human Resources, Management/Marketing) for enlisted commissioning program applicants, and accepts all or nearly all CCAF credit in transfer. Park University students from other bases can transfer to Grand Forks and not lose any credits.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:50 AM

10 posts, read 43,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
Was bored so I looked at a couple of schools on the AF link I provided in my last post. Park Uni might also have something your interested in.

Park University
Bachelor of Science - Management/Logistics
Business Management and Logistics Degree Online at Park University

2. Park University at Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota. Served by Detachment 610. Park University offers a wide range of majors (Criminal Justice Administration, Social Psychology, Management, Management/ Computer Information Systems, Management/Accounting, Management/ Health Care, Management/Human Resources, Management/Marketing) for enlisted commissioning program applicants, and accepts all or nearly all CCAF credit in transfer. Park University students from other bases can transfer to Grand Forks and not lose any credits.
I was actually looking at Park.

Park awards members of the military four semester hours of lower level electives for completion of Basic Military Science and six semester hours of upper level electives for completion of Advanced Military Science. Plus, Park University accepts transfer credits from a wide variety of accredited colleges.

They would give me 10 credits from the military, and potentially 12 for my general ed (depending on math), then factor in 12 credits from college level testing. Thats not too great as its less than half of my associates, but I could always finish my BA with AMU and go for a masters at a B&M school. That was the original plan at least.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Park awards members of the military four semester hours of lower level electives for completion of Basic Military Science and six semester hours of upper level electives for completion of Advanced Military Science. Plus, Park University accepts transfer credits from a wide variety of accredited colleges.

They would give me 10 credits from the military, and potentially 12 for my general ed (depending on math), then factor in 12 credits from college level testing. Thats not too great as its less than half of my associates, but I could always finish my BA with AMU and go for a masters at a B&M school. That was the original plan at least.
What about Troy?

Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:

And did they look at your credits or was this just general info?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
And did they look at your credits or was this just general info?
I looked at my credits. I could probably CLEP a good chunk of the degree from park though. They accept most of the CLEP and DSST tests.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I looked at my credits. I could probably CLEP a good chunk of the degree from park though. They accept most of the CLEP and DSST tests.
Well that's a great option and uber cheap. Not sure if you want to do that thou. Seems like a pain in the ass. But Park would be better prestige wise then AMU.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
What about Troy?
Troy is a great school and they are about an hour and a half from where I grew up. Unfortunately they don't offer my program online. If they change that, I am definitely considering transfering over regardless of credits.
It might be easier if I transfer my CCAF credits from my AMU transcript, which I would also try with other schools as well.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Well that's a great option and uber cheap. Not sure if you want to do that thou. Seems like a pain in the ass. But Park would be better prestige wise then AMU.
It depends on how you look at it. Prestige yes Park has a mark over AMU, but most employers (especially federal employers and contracting agencies) know what AMU is. Tack that on with military service and there isn't too much of a difference when looking for a job.

Most salaries are dependent on education and experience, but not where your degree comes from. My wife is a chemist and she can testify to that.

In the words of a reservist here who is a district manager at a company, and brings home around $90k annually, "When I hire someone, I don't look at what school they went to. I just want to know that they have an education and hold the capacity to learn."

Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
It depends on how you look at it. Prestige yes Park has a mark over AMU, but most employers (especially federal employers and contracting agencies) know what AMU is. Tack that on with military service and there isn't too much of a difference when looking for a job.

Most salaries are dependent on education and experience, but not where your degree comes from. My wife is a chemist and she can testify to that.

In the words of a reservist here who is a district manager at a company, and brings home around $90k annually, "When I hire someone, I don't look at what school they went to. I just want to know that they have an education and hold the capacity to learn."
Very true. My undergrad is from a for-profit and it hasn't slowed be down career wise. But for my grad school I wanted to attend something better so I picked Liberty University. At least now I can have a sports team to root for...LOL

Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
This information might be outdated and I don't feel like verifying it, but you might want to look into these.

Thomas Edison State College: BSBA in Operations Management (absolute best school for CLEP, DSST, ECE, Uexcel, etc.)
Franklin University: BS in Operations & Supply Chain Management
Bellevue University: BS in Logistics Management
Rochester Institute of Technology: BS in Applied Arts and Sciences/International Logistics and Transportation Management
Washington State University: BBA in Management & Operations
Brandman University: BA in Applied Studies - Supply Chain Systems
Southern New Hampshire University: BS in Operations and Project Management
Embry-Riddle: BS in Transportation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities