Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:38 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times

Advertisements

It's not the "new college"; it has just been marketed that way, and very successfully at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,494 times
I agree with some of the other posters.

For me personally it would be about staying competitive. If I am competing with another person for a job, and our skills/backgrounds/personalities are similar, I might lose out, might not. Unfortunately a lot of employers ask for them when it is overkill. With more and more students getting a degree (worthless degree or not), it helps to stay on top.

Another reason I might go is to change career paths. Move into the business side of things, management, or something different altogether.

Honestly, I do not know if I will get my Masters or not. I could stay where I am at and have a solid career and make enough money to be happy. A masters will not help me with my current job. But it would certainly help if I planned on moving into management.

And when you get it will matter as well. If I had gotten it back to back with my undergrad it would have changed my career path dramatically.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:56 PM

72 posts, read 405,187 times
I think grad school became the new college because there are fewer jobs for new grads. People feel grad school will set them apart from someone who has only an undergraduate degree. These days anything you can use to market yourself is great. But if you are unsure of what you want to do grad school is definitely not for you. Several of my friends decided to work for a few years and then return to college to complete their advanced degree. In retrospect, I wish I had done the same.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Very good comments Kathy. It is the set of friends and colleagues that makes it seem like "everyone" is into graduate school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
I don't think it's the new college, it's probably just more your set of friends/colleagues. I am in grad school now, in my mid-40s, after years of a different career and then staying home to have kids.....it took me a while to come to the point of truly knowing what I wanted to do. I had attempted grad school 15 years ago in a different field, and am glad I didn't pursue it. The time and money spent on it wouldn't have been wise.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:36 PM

My undergraduate college was not dummied down. It was challenging. All the exams and projects were moderately difficult for me. Multiple choice exams are a lot of times standardized so sometimes the questions have no real answer (due to error on the part of the professor or publisher of the exams), hence the reason for curves. If the majority of the class missed out on the same six questions. Then the points for those 6 questions are "the curve". Besides that there are no grade inflation on projects, homework, or final grades. Grade inflation just for the sake of it is really rare. The other rare grade inflation is doing extra credit work. That means doing another 5-6 research report on top of the work you already are doing.

Graduate school is a continuation of undergraduate school IMO. Either that or my undergrad experience prepared me well for graduate school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It happened when we dummied down college because we decided everyone should go to college. Today, a liberal arts degree isn't much more than a high school diploma in the 1950's. So, everyone gets more education to set themselves apart. I'm, seriously, thinking about going back for a PhD because I don't feel my masters sets me apart. It seemed everyone had a masters or was working on one when I was an engineer and now that I'm teaching, with continuing education requirements, everyone either has or is working on a masters.

Look on the bright side. We've created lots of college teaching jobs and job security.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Put away money into an education fund for a rainy day. You never know when you will loose a job and need a master's degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
I agree with some of the other posters.

For me personally it would be about staying competitive. If I am competing with another person for a job, and our skills/backgrounds/personalities are similar, I might lose out, might not. Unfortunately a lot of employers ask for them when it is overkill. With more and more students getting a degree (worthless degree or not), it helps to stay on top.

Another reason I might go is to change career paths. Move into the business side of things, management, or something different altogether.

Honestly, I do not know if I will get my Masters or not. I could stay where I am at and have a solid career and make enough money to be happy. A masters will not help me with my current job. But it would certainly help if I planned on moving into management.

And when you get it will matter as well. If I had gotten it back to back with my undergrad it would have changed my career path dramatically.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Today, a liberal arts degree isn't much more than a high school diploma in the 1950's.
We call it "degree inflation" at our house.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:47 PM

What do you mean by that. I see that you rolled your eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
We call it "degree inflation" at our house.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:49 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
I just felt like rolling my eyes.

p.s. google "degree inflation" and you can read alllll kinds of commentary on the topic.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:53 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,341 times
probably because many people have opportunities now to go to a 4 year university due to junior colleges, more financial assistance, more programs etc. i am starting my 2nd year in my grad program. it was very competitive to get into my department. the university i got now only accepted 24 people and 5 people already dropped. i applied to 4 universities and got rejected at 2, wait-listed at 1 (didnt make it through AND THAT WAS MY ALMA MATER!), and accepted into 1. the strange thing is my university is pretty well known throughout california of having a damn good department in my field and one of the better programs within the state. i dont know how i got into this school, and not the others because this one is more competitive. so i had a 25% chance of getting into a school it seems with a 3.5 gpa, and related work experience.

for many jobs, one needs a ba, but now if you have a ma or ms, it is something extra. in my line of work, you need to have a ma or ms. frustrating thing is, there are no jobs in my field right now in california and probably across the country to do budget cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities