Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:42 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,312,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
So yes I think that 27% in 2007 compared to 20% in 1990 Is a big deal and the start of a trend. I do feel an BS/BA is the new high school diploma.
Yes, those college students who are under 25 years of age are not included in the statistic, but the statistic is simply those who are aged 25 and older who have a college degree, the age at which they got the degree is irrelevant. The numbers may go up, but I do not think that they will by much. Supposedly, in around 30 years time, the number of Americans with a higher education degree is going to be around 70%. Personally, I think that number is too high as we are not a country that values formal education very much. I think that the majority of these degrees are going to be attained from vo-tech or other two-year schools.

More and more people are going to college these days, no doubt about that, but more and more are also not graduating. While the numbers of college students will probably increase, the real trend is that more students are going to drop out than graduate.

I will agree with two things, though:

1) There are certain sectors of employment were a college degree is treated as the new high school diploma.

2) The more people that attain a higher degree, the less value that they will have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,955,174 times
Although I consider myself fairly successful at what I do - my work has nothing to do with my 4-year degree. When I think back to college, it was really quite ridiculous how dumbed down it truly was. I rarely had to study, if ever... and I think the extent of studying I did was perhaps 15 minutes before a test. Granted, my degree was in Business Administration.. not the most intellectual it could have been, but still. I completed it in 3 1/2 years and afterward kind of thought to myself when it was done... is that it?

So... yes, I can see that grad school has essentially become the "new" baccalaureate degree in many cases. I know several people that went to grad school.

At the moment, though, I don't know if I would behoove me to go back. I'm still trying to figure that out.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 PM

297 posts, read 901,505 times
but you guys... isn't there a huge difference between any old liberal arts degree vs a technical degree???

Old 08-13-2009, 11:06 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,692,187 times
My cousin and I have had this conversation before. Basically, a Masters degree is the current equivalent of a Bachelors. You have to go over and beyond to even gain consideration. Competition for jobs around our neck of the woods is getting tougher as so many people are moving here from other parts of the country. We also had to go to grad school because it was required for our majors (school administration and counseling).

Old 08-16-2009, 04:21 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,837,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
but you guys... isn't there a huge difference between any old liberal arts degree vs a technical degree???
Is this an ironic post about how the board leans towards valuing tech degrees?

Old 08-23-2009, 02:04 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,837,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Although I consider myself fairly successful at what I do - my work has nothing to do with my 4-year degree. When I think back to college, it was really quite ridiculous how dumbed down it truly was. I rarely had to study, if ever... and I think the extent of studying I did was perhaps 15 minutes before a test. Granted, my degree was in Business Administration.. not the most intellectual it could have been, but still. I completed it in 3 1/2 years and afterward kind of thought to myself when it was done... is that it?

So... yes, I can see that grad school has essentially become the "new" baccalaureate degree in many cases. I know several people that went to grad school.

At the moment, though, I don't know if I would behoove me to go back. I'm still trying to figure that out.
I thought you moved to San Diego to be a UCSD grad student in engineering?

Old 08-23-2009, 02:38 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,326,408 times
I can only speak for myself of course... but for me, the career choice I am strongly considering requires a Master's degree to get any sort of job. Period.

So, since I want that job and THAT pay, then grad school is what I have to do. Honestly if I could find the same factors (pay, job opportunities, nature of the work, level of personal interest, potential for at least SOME job satisfaction) in a career path that required less education I would go for it. I can't though... yes there are "things" I could do in less time that would pay well but I'd loathe waking up every day. So, no thanks.

I've been floundering around trying to figure out what I want to "be" and I am 38 years old. Time to just do it, and no time to screw around with 2 year vocational plans that most likely will be something I hate, or will end up with a flooded market, or 4 year degrees in something flighty that I'd adore but be working at Wal-Mart in the end.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:20 AM

62 posts, read 219,232 times
I think that people are over-educated, this whole county needs to change the educational system. Vocational training has been overlooked, rather than getting a BA in business, why not get training in plumbing, or electrical? A for sure job, making more money. The world needs mechanics, computer technicians.

Without specific training, the more generic college degrees do not give a person job ready skills, which is why graduate school is needed. Also, our education system is so dumbed down now, high school is basically the "new" elementary school.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:28 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,286,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Lately I've been seeing a lot of my peers talking about studying for the GREs, picking our graduate programs, applying to them, and so forth.

And here I am...who dropped grad school as an option when I decided not to pursue the career path I wanted to before.

I'm thinking...is it just me or does it seem like everyone is doing something grad-school related??? I posted a Facebook status about it, and a few of my friends bascially replied that grad school has become the new college?

When did this happen??? Now I'm unsure of what to do since right now I have no idea what degree I would get, and right now I'm just as unsure of what my career plans are.
It became so when technology began to change at an accellerated rate. The sorriest thing I ever saw was my undergraduate degree was obsolete the day I graduated because of technology and basic changes in the field.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,312,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2942 View Post
I think that people are over-educated, this whole county needs to change the educational system. Vocational training has been overlooked, rather than getting a BA in business, why not get training in plumbing, or electrical? A for sure job, making more money. The world needs mechanics, computer technicians.

Without specific training, the more generic college degrees do not give a person job ready skills, which is why graduate school is needed. Also, our education system is so dumbed down now, high school is basically the "new" elementary school.
And I think that people are under-educated, but I agree that the country as a whole needs to change its educational system.

You can get all the specific training that you want as an undergrad; it just takes some initiative on your part and using available resources. Grad school serves two purposes; it allows the student to specialize in a particular area of study, and two, those with a Masters have a starting salary $5, 000 to $30,000 + more over those with just a B.A. or B.S. So there is some incentive in pursuing at least a Masters, especially since it is only 1 to 2 more years of schooling.

But I stand by my original post; i.e., more and more undergrads are applying to grad school with the hopes of staving off student loan repayment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities