Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:30 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,955,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
I thought you moved to San Diego to be a UCSD grad student in engineering?
I did.. technically I got my degree in BA first, and then I worked on my EE one after I completed that. But... for the sake of the thread I left that out (probably shouldn't have as an afterthought). Still, I don't use either degree in what I do for a living. Certain irreverent personal things have made me reconsider grad school, however. Plus...if I wait a year living in SD I get in-state tuition.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 08-23-2009 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 04:17 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,389,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I think it depends on where you live, and what you do.
Yes, it's heavily dependent on where you go and what program you attend. I remember some people talking about how the senior project at some schools is similar to the master's program at other schools.

However, it's nice so you can get people to call you "Master." LOL

Old 08-26-2009, 05:55 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,314,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Lately I've been seeing a lot of my peers talking about studying for the GREs, picking our graduate programs, applying to them, and so forth.

And here I am...who dropped grad school as an option when I decided not to pursue the career path I wanted to before.

I'm thinking...is it just me or does it seem like everyone is doing something grad-school related??? I posted a Facebook status about it, and a few of my friends bascially replied that grad school has become the new college?

When did this happen??? Now I'm unsure of what to do since right now I have no idea what degree I would get, and right now I'm just as unsure of what my career plans are.
Life is a continuum. The move toward graduate school comes for four reasons. One, undergraduate education has deteriorated on average, vicitimized by the pass the buck mentality for K-12. Many colleges and universities actually teach remedial math and writing. Incredible.

Two, the growth in the number of undergraduates has made graduate school the place to separate oneself. Mind you, the increased numbers in graduate studies are not equally distributed. In some areas the number are not terribly different form the past. In other, pre-professional areas, e.g. business, the increase has been more pronounced.

Three, the economy is in the toilet. This is more cyclical than secular.

Finally, four, the increases in technology has opened up large numbers of areas in which to specialize.

S.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,723,287 times
Employers these days want ways to quantify your skills. Unfortunately, actually putting into consideration your experience is too much work. They want to see degrees and they want to see certifications.

Now that so many people have a BS or BA, employers (and individuals alike) look for something that makes them a better candidate.

What is concerning to me is that if a Master's degree becomes the "new Bachelor's degree," students and parents alike are looking at huge education bills in the future. Whereas high school is free (if you go public), colleges are rarely free.

Not to derail... but maybe we as a country should change our focus from healthcare reform to education reform. If we are going to better ourselves as a country and not fall behind any further from our foreign competition, we need to make a college education easier to pay for.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:43 PM

78 posts, read 226,172 times
Yeah a lot of good posts in reply. For my 2 cents, it started as a way to separate yourself from other potential candidates, depending on your field of study. It also seems to fluctuate with the times, especially harsh economic times. You just graduted, the job market is terrible, so spend 2 more years getting an MBA and see what happens after that. As other posters stated, starting salaries drove others into grad school.

I am a lawyer. If I want to be a lawyer, I HAD to go to law school/grad school. There really was no real alternative.

In my opinion, it is the normal cycle and evolution of what employers and potential employees demand. Decades ago a high school education was an accomplishment. Then you were outstanding when you went to college and received your Bachelor's degree. Now, most young folks (and old folks like me - I completed undergrad at 30 and law school 33) are just expected to go to grad school to get ahead. How do you compete? Where I am employed, we will not even hire administrative staff without a college education..at least an AA. Every analyst on my team has a Bachelor's degree at a minimum.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:09 AM

605 posts, read 2,165,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post

Now that so many people have a BS or BA, employers (and individuals alike) look for something that makes them a better candidate.

What is concerning to me is that if a Master's degree becomes the "new Bachelor's degree," students and parents alike are looking at huge education bills in the future. Whereas high school is free (if you go public), colleges are rarely free.
You have hit the nail on the head. To use some stats I looked up for another post:

• In 1975, only 13.9% of the U.S. adult population over 25 had bachelor's degrees or higher.
  • By 2007, 28.7% of the adult pop. over 25 had earned a bachelor's degree or higher, a 15% increase in 22 years. (Stats are from the National Center for Education Statistics, U.S. Dept. of Ed.)

In 22 years did employer demand for college-educated labor increase nearly 15%? Probably not. The only way to get ahead from the pack of college grads is to get an advanced degree. For employers, the pool of qualified labor is large enough that even if the job duties don't require an college degree, they have the option of recruiting only college grads.

Your point about education costs is well-taken. Tier 1 private schools now cost around $50k/yr. for tuition, room, and board, with the highest total cost of attendance being $53,166 at Sarah Lawrence. In-state tuition, room, and board at some state universities is getting pricey too. Over the past decade, with state budget cuts, it has not been uncommon to see four-year public institutions hike tuition by double-digit percentages from one school year to the next. Ouch.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,071,557 times
None of my colleges were pass the buck. I have no clue where you got that information from. I've you failed the exams you failed the class. It was that easy. Colleges want students to keep taking the classes over and over again. They make more money that way.

The last time teachers helped students to pass by allowing late work and retaking of failed exams was in 6th grade. Never in college. There was extra credit in college which was an extra report on top of all your school work but I don't consider that passing the buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Life is a continuum. The move toward graduate school comes for four reasons. One, undergraduate education has deteriorated on average, vicitimized by the pass the buck mentality for K-12. Many colleges and universities actually teach remedial math and writing. Incredible.

Two, the growth in the number of undergraduates has made graduate school the place to separate oneself. Mind you, the increased numbers in graduate studies are not equally distributed. In some areas the number are not terribly different form the past. In other, pre-professional areas, e.g. business, the increase has been more pronounced.

Three, the economy is in the toilet. This is more cyclical than secular.

Finally, four, the increases in technology has opened up large numbers of areas in which to specialize.

S.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:27 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,827,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I can only speak for myself of course... but for me, the career choice I am strongly considering requires a Master's degree to get any sort of job. Period.

So, since I want that job and THAT pay, then grad school is what I have to do. Honestly if I could find the same factors (pay, job opportunities, nature of the work, level of personal interest, potential for at least SOME job satisfaction) in a career path that required less education I would go for it. I can't though... yes there are "things" I could do in less time that would pay well but I'd loathe waking up every day. So, no thanks.

I've been floundering around trying to figure out what I want to "be" and I am 38 years old. Time to just do it, and no time to screw around with 2 year vocational plans that most likely will be something I hate, or will end up with a flooded market, or 4 year degrees in something flighty that I'd adore but be working at Wal-Mart in the end.

The job I want pretty much requires a Masters and I want a job I will enjoy. If it means going to grad school, so be it.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:24 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,404,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

The job I want pretty much requires a Masters and I want a job I will enjoy. If it means going to grad school, so be it.
I feel the same way but at the same time I feel like more school on top of school on top of school (I didn't complete High School yet) I don't even know what I want to be yet, if grad school is required I'll probably do it because it will pay off in the long run .

Old 08-29-2009, 05:31 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,911,232 times
I think it is because the economy sucks and people want to wait it out in grad school. Either that or they have massive student loans from their undergrad they want to avoid paying on right now because they can't find a job because the economy sucks.

I don't think the labor market really needs so many people with MAs and PhDs at all. Just people don't know what else to do when no jobs are being created for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities